fuel additives and oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use one bottle of Techron about a week or two prior to changing the oil in my vehicles. Since I plan on submitting a sample of the Amsoil 0w-30 to Blackston Labs on my next drain, should I skip the Techron this time or use it and just send a note in about it with the oil sample?

Thanks,

Mikep

Over the past several years I have used both Techron and Amsoil PI (three cars get the PI in every tankful) and I have not seen any affects in the analysis. I report to the lab that I am using an additive but to date this does not seem to influence anything.

Maybe Terry can comment.

I think the only way you'd start seeing ill effects in the analysis results would be if you had an engine that had a lot of blowby, where more fuel was getting past the rings and into the oil. But then again that would be a whole new set of problems.

So if your engine is tight and there is very little fuel getting into the oil, then anything you put in your gas tank should not affect things adversely.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Spector.....wow, you use Redline PI in every tankful? Is that really necessary?

Patman...thx for the insight. Since my truck is relatively new with only about 22,000 miles I would hope blowby isn't a problem.

I think I'll send an email to Blackstone and see what they say.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
Spector.....wow, you use Redline PI in every tankful? Is that really necessary?

Mikep

A full dose every tankful wouldn't be necessary, but a smaller dose would be good.

I've recently started adding a small dose (2oz to 7 gallon) of Neutra to my fuel with every fillup now also. I believe it's better to keep things clean all the time than to let it get dirty and then shock things with a full dosage.

quote:

Spector.....wow, you use Redline PI in every tankful? Is that really necessary?Mikep

Actually, it is the Amsoil PI. This is a concentrate so I actually only place about 1 oz in every time I fill up. Does it work, don't know. My Camry with 151,000 has had it in every tankful since new and no injector or EFI problems as yet. Probably would not have had any without it. Just don't know

I don't know if this is coinsidence or not, but the two oil analysis out of the last four that I used Chevron Techron during, had elavated lead levels. The other two that I didn't use the Techron during had normal and close to normal readings. I used the correct dosage and my truck only had between 32,000-42,000 miles during this time and the engine is not wore out so I don't know what caused the high lead levels.

Good question and hopefully alot of feedback since I'm curious about this myself.

Wayne

oops, sorry for the mistake re: Amsoil PI, not Redline.

About 5-6 years ago my wife's Mercury Topaz developed a really bad hesitation when starting off from a stop sighn or traffic light. I put bottle of Techron in the tank on two successive fillups and the problem was gone. Ever since then I've used it prior to every oil change.

Mikep

quote:

About 5-6 years ago my wife's Mercury Topaz developed a really bad hesitation when starting off from a stop sighn or traffic light. I put bottle of Techron in the tank on two successive fillups and the problem was gone. Ever since then I've used it prior to every oil change.

Mikep

I've had cars with the same problem. Any additive that removes water from the gasoline has cured the problem for me, plus a new fuel filter ('cuz it traps water, also).

Ken

68redlines73,
My first oil analysis that I used Techron during had 55ppm of lead. My next analysis with no Techron was at 18ppm. Next analysis using Techron was 43ppm. This last analysis without Techron was 9ppm of lead. There is no reason I can think of for my lead levels to fluctuate like this other than I used the Techron those two times. I just used Techron the other day again and will see if it effects my next oil analysis.

I don't think Techron contains lead but it may contain something that is effecting lead wear. I also did not change the oil after using the Techron and ran the oil out to 5,000 miles on the first sample and 3,000 miles on the following three.

Wayne

Some fuel additives residuals( small amounts of chemical that end up in the crankcase oil) seem to react with the softer metals in a motor and show higher values. Whether this is a cleaning effect or wear is something an analyst will have to determine knowing the engine,oil, and trends.

Generally speaking if the soft metals remain below 20-50 ppm depending on the engine then it is not harmful. Disclaimer; rules of thumb in oil analysis are problematic because of variability. BE CAREFUL relying on them.

Every one of the fuels adds on the market are different and knowing exactly which chemistry they are composed of is impossible.

I have NOT seen increased wear with Techron, Nuetra, Fuel Power, Redline, Amsoil PI, TK-7 in engines that are mechanically sound.

for wtd I would have to study your total results and consult with you to find an answer. My guess is the engine is not as healthy as you think. Leaky injector etc.

Terry

[ January 17, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Terry,
For the most part my wear numbers have been pretty good and I can't image that my engine would be unhealthy since its had 3,000 mile oil changes except for one 5,000 mile change since it was new using either Mobil conventional or Mobil 1. If I had a leaky fuel injector, wouldn't that show in my fuel % section of the analysis? Mine have always been at
I sent you an email about having you interpret my results. Let me know if you do not receive it.

thanks,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back