Hyundai Veloster smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was riding the motorcycle yesterday, and I happened to stop behind a Hyundai veloster at a stoplight. I couldn't help but notice that thee exhaust had a lot of carbon on it, and when he hit the gas (not WOT), and a few more times before he got in the turn lane to get on the northway, it did it again. It's fuel smoke, not a lot, a small puff of black smoke. This just something due to DI? I've heard of some GM DI engines doing the same thing on WOT. Normal or is there something wrong with this car?

When I first got my Evo, it ran rich and when on throttle it emitted black smoke due to running rich. It would leave black soot all over the rear.

Bad fuel detuned engine to a rich + retarded semi-limp map? Thank goodness my new honda hasnt detuned long enough to get ridiculously carboned up. When it starts to go downhill I just add a couple gallons of quality premium and it retunes to full power.

There have been complaints of Cruzes with the 1.4T (port-injected, not DI) doing the same thing. Some folks have even complained the carbon is making their white Cruzes look dirty. I wouldn't know, since mine is black.

It might be a new engine thing for emissions, or something inside the exhaust is flaking off. When I go WOT on my Cruze, it leaves a big cloud of vapor behind due to how rich it's running.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
There have been complaints of Cruzes with the 1.4T (port-injected, not DI) doing the same thing. Some folks have even complained the carbon is making their white Cruzes look dirty. I wouldn't know, since mine is black.

It might be a new engine thing for emissions, or something inside the exhaust is flaking off. When I go WOT on my Cruze, it leaves a big cloud of vapor behind due to how rich it's running.

Rich tunes are normal in turbo apps because they are "safe".

Fuel trims are normally stoichiometric for normal power demands in a DI Turbo engine. However; for heavy to WOT demands, turbo engines often see AF ratios of 11 to 1. This information from Mazda DI turbo engine analysis. Ed

Actually if you data log many new cars you will rarely see stoich mixtures in normal driving.

Pig rich tuning helps keep the timing up and the temps down for longevity and driveability.

I've seen this from time to time in everything from a N* Caddy to a newish 4-cylinder Equinox to an older Cavalier. All while merging onto the highway. I assume they put the pedal to the floor, the ECU dumped in fuel, and the cat couldn't quite handle it all. I think it's SOP in many cars.

Many cars run way too rich. I assume it is to get the emissions balance right. I think leaner produces high NOx. It is not for economy.

i saw something similiar on a Hyundai Genesis 5.0L, lots of carbon buildup around the dual tailpipes.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bad fuel detuned engine to a rich + retarded semi-limp map? Thank goodness my new honda hasnt detuned long enough to get ridiculously carboned up. When it starts to go downhill I just add a couple gallons of quality premium and it retunes to full power.

What? translate please.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i saw something similiar on a Hyundai Genesis 5.0L, lots of carbon buildup around the dual tailpipes.
Nice little bit of engineering on the Lexus-beater, right?

A lot of new cars seem to do it. I was behind a BMW 335i the other day that dumped a bit of grey smoke when he went WOT.

The Jeep does it too with the conservative (rich) tune I'm running right now, although it doesn't soot up the exhaust too badly in normal driving. It hardly sooted at all and didn't smoke at all either when it was stock.

Its thew new tuning especially on turbo cars they run very rich at WOT.

Its sloppy as far as I'm concerned, with today's computers you shouldn't see anything. Heck my 80's diesels smoked less than some of these new cars I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back