Metric Asphalt Shingles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just discovered today that the laminated shingle I finally decided on is ONLY avail in metric dimensions! This is an issue because I'd planned on adding them on top of my existing english 3-tab shingles.

I printed out the manufacturers spec sheets & application guides when researching this and it clearly states that English dimension shingles are avail in this particular style. So I planned accordingly.

I picked up 2 sqrs last week and was going to start on this when my tape meas. revealed they're 38-5/8 x 13-1/4 instead of 36 x 12! A call to the distributer I purchased them from said ALL of their shingles are metric! I called the local manufacturer rep. and he replied same.

When I called the manufacturers tech line to ask why they haven't bothered updating the 'on-line information' they constantly refer the customer to, he said english dim. shingles are still being sold in the north east! What about the other 37 states?

I haven't needed a new roof in more than 25 yrs. The world has changed. Ginger Ale in cans is measured in oz. but in bottles is measured in liters, while at the pump gasohol is still measured in gallons.

So my installation plans are STH and it's back to the drawing board..... rant to continue later!

I'm not sure I understand your problem ?

Are re-roofing the whole roof? if so, does the size of the shingles matter?

Perhaps you were planning on not having to cut any shingles?

The Metric shingles cover more ground, so in theory they cover the roof faster.

Sounds like you were planning on overlyaing the old layer of shingles with the new. By code, we can't do that here and have to strip the roof back to the wood before putting on the new roofing material, so I have no idea if you could still do an overlay with the different size. It all depends on what plant supplies your region as to whether you'll get metric or not. Shingles are heavy and costly to ship, so it all hinges on the plants.

Some manufacturers won't warranty the shingles against hail damage unless the old roof is removed.

Ditto to andy's remark about the new roof lasting longer. I had to replace my roof not because the top layer was in sad shape, but because the two layers underneath were crumbling and allowing water to rot the wood at the edges.

And yes, I reroofed my house with the metric shingles.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
2 Squares? Rip the old ones off. You'd be done by the time you got your metric shingles back to the lumberyard.

Agree,
I would bet your old 3 Tabs are all curly.
It's much easier to lay new shingles on a flat surface.
It will look better and last longer too.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
And yes, I reroofed my house with the metric shingles.

+1 I also reroofed my house with metric.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The Metric shingles cover more ground, so in theory they cover the roof faster.

Sounds like you were planning on overlyaing the old layer of shingles with the new. By code, we can't do that here and have to strip the roof back to the wood before putting on the new roofing material, so I have no idea if you could still do an overlay with the different size. It all depends on what plant supplies your region as to whether you'll get metric or not. Shingles are heavy and costly to ship, so it all hinges on the plants.
Yep that was my plan. There's only one layer on & code allows another one. I don't live in a city though. The man. plant is 3 hrs away, they do make both eng/met. but the local supplier only carries met.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Ditto to andy's remark about the new roof lasting longer. I had to replace my roof not because the top layer was in sad shape, but because the two layers underneath were crumbling and allowing water to rot the wood at the edges.

One, I'd never put new shingles over two layers much less layers that were crumbling! That's just dumb, IMHO. I'll bet prying off 3 layers of shingles was fun. . . .

Originally Posted By: bepperb
2 Squares? Rip the old ones off. You'd be done by the time you got your metric shingles back to the lumberyard.
2 sqrs only covers the walkway between the garage & house. Had two bad leaks there and ply damage. So I ripped it all off and fixed it.

But it ties into the rest of the house, another 26 sqrs which I'd planned to shingle over.

As mentioned rip off the old stuff for sure. Also, buy the fiberglass core shingles and not the organic core. Fiberglass will last twice as long

Quote:

I would bet your old 3 Tabs are all curly.
It's much easier to lay new shingles on a flat surface.
It will look better and last longer too.
How do you know though? You'd lose that bet. I'd never lay over on an unsound surface. Evidently many idiots do...and pay the price!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
As mentioned rip off the old stuff for sure. Also, buy the fiberglass core shingles and not the organic core. Fiberglass will last twice as long
Even my old shingles are fiberglass...organic core? Never heard of it down here. We live in two very different climates!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Even my old shingles are fiberglass...organic core? Never heard of it down here. We live in two very different climates!

Were we live has nothing to do with it; Every shingle manufacturer offers different products.

Why not ditch the shingles all together and get a permanent roof? Then never worry about it again

Last edited:
Around here we can put a new roof over one layer of shingles by code. If you are planning or replacing the whole roof you might consider buying class 4 impact resistant shingles. The insurance company I have knocks about a 1/3 off the homeowners ins. for it and it can transfer the warranty and savings if you sell. In my case the payback for the increased cost was a little over 3 years. After that it is free money. I think they usually have a 40 to I believe up to 50 shingles.

Why not ditch the shingles all together and get a permanent roof? Then never worry about it again

The closest thing to "Permanent Roof" I found on Google search was Spanish tiles on the roof of a house.

I don't think that Spanish tiles would be quite suitable in the cold, rainy, snowy parts of the world - right? Wouldn't it be problematic with snow and ice?

The classic permanent roof in cold, wet climates is slate. It is mega- expensive these days and the roof has to be a steeper pitch than regular shingles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back