6.0 powerstroke coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone on here who has a 6.0 and did a coolant flush or refilled their coolant? Ill be doing an EGR delete on one this weekend and i need to drain the coolant, ive done tons of mods to diesels but none that required me to drain the coolant, or anything with the cooling system. my question is, what coolant should i use, how much does it take, and how do i go about refilling the system? half water/coolant? how much do i put in at a time? i was thinking of going with CAT extended life coolant, like ive seen they recommend on many of the forums.

PM slammds15, but IIRC, he recommends and runs the DELO Long-Life stuff in his 6.0L PSD, and that is what they run in the VT365's in the trucks he works on as well (as well as other International and Cummins engines).

Powerstrokehelp on youtube knows very much about the Ford 6.0 PSD, and they only use Ford's specific coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

I would avoid the Ford premium gold or G-05

The silicates in that type of coolant are part of the problem with the oil coolers plugging on the 6.0 and then causing EGR cooler failures. I have seen the silicate dropout and the muck it forms in the cooling system first hand. It's not pretty!

Go with a coolant that is Caterpillar EC-1 rated.

I use Peak Final Charge but any brand will do so long as its EC-1 rated.

Google "6.0 powerstroke coolant flush" for the exact procedure.

It takes time to do it right but its worth it. Id also recommend a coolant filter while your at it.

I changed mine to Xerex Cat spec HD coolant. I followed the coolant flush procedure Google located. You'll find about 50% of the folks would only use Ford Gold (G05) and the other half of us use HD coolant. I comfortable with the HD coolant knowing that International used it in their trucks, and that Ford convieniently uses Ford Gold on every Super Duty that comes down the line, diesel or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back