Is black soot the sign of an exhaust leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some would say, "duh", but let me finish. I replaced the front catalytic converter donut gasket this weekend on the Honda. It was sticking to the converter flange and creating a squeaking sound. This is addressed in a TSB by Honda, but mine is out of warranty coverage for that.

Anyway, I had to remove the converter from the vehicle completely (thank you, Honda, for attaching it with bolted flanges on BOTH sides). I could look up into the exhaust manifold and into the throat of the converter and the pipes were spotless on the inside. They looked like they could be new parts. But the donut gasket had a tinge of black soot at the bottom of it.

I ask because I think that there was a slight leak there. After the job, and during acceleration, I noticed that the engine has a more refined sound to it now. There was a slight "whease" that's gone. If there was an air leak there, would that contribute to the formation of the black soot? Because it's only at that gasket...not anywhere else in the system.

Interestingly, the exhaust manifold is really nice. It's a tubular steel manifold, with mandrel bends (no crushed kinks), and all branches were of an equal length. The two end cylinders' branches turn straight down to the collector and the two middle cylinders' branches bow out a little before turning down. It looks just like a "shorty header" that one might replace an old school cast iron manifold with.

Yes, the black soot was there because of a very slight exhaust leak. It was mostly only leaking while cold which is why it didn't clean the soot off with cleaner exhaust as temperatures rose.

Black soot is usually a sign of oil consumption. If you can take the cat off dunk it in a bucket of laundry detergent overnight, pressure rinse in the morning, let dry, good as new!

Quote:
Yes, the black soot was there because of a very slight exhaust leak. It was mostly only leaking while cold which is why it didn't clean the soot off with cleaner exhaust as temperatures rose.

This.

Thanks guys. The honeycomb of the cat looked new, and the engine doesn't use any oil, at least not measurable. It wasn't a bad job to do, but the flange bolts were rustier than I'd have cared for.

Gasoline engines make soot, just smaller particles than diesel engines do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back