New Baldwin BT223 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baldwin BT223
~115 sq in of media .022” thick
Canister ~.022” thick

All in all, looks like a pretty good unit to me.

BT223.jpg

Pleats were pretty even except right around the glued seam on the other side:
ElementBaldwin.jpg

BaseplateBaldwin.jpg

ClearanceBaldwin.jpg

ADBVBaldwin.jpg

Dome end bypass and coil spring:
BypassBaldwin.jpg

CenterTubeBaldwin.jpg

Media looks decent. The square is about 1/8” square to scale:
eighthinsquareBaldwin.jpg

Not a bad lookin' filter. The center tube has the same perforations as a K&N. What is the difference in oil flow between a filter design like this as compared to just holes? If any?

Where do you get them, Grainger?

I noticed on their site they say this filter, which has 8psi bypass, fits on camry v6. The B33 or B37 which fits the 4 cyl toyotas has 14 psi bypass. Baldwin seems to do a good job with cross referencing models, or maybe they all do that. I say this as there are some who use the larger filters on the smaller engines, and this looks like the difference, the bypass pressure.

Thanks for sacrificing one and showing it.

I get them at a hardware store in a neighboring town. Grainger has them, and I think Amazon auto parts?

Originally Posted By: webfors
Nice looking filter! I think this may be my first naked baldwin!

Now you could have gone all day without saying naked.
grin2.gif
I'm just trying to remember what naked looks like.

Originally Posted By: moviedave
You are my hero Mr. Rat! Any idea how she flows or filters?

LOL. I used to have some data on efficiency from Baldwin via email that was lost on my old computer. All I remember is that it was respectable...somewhere in the ballpark of Purolator Classic I think.
As for flow, all I did was the quick, blow hard through it. Seemed fine to me, relative to others. There is a lot of media for a small filter...More than the comparable WIX or Puro according to my measurements. Should be just fine.

I like this filter, and would use them if they were more readily available and $2 cheaper. (I got a deal on this one.)
But I don't see any advantage, overall, over a WIX/NAPA Gold which costs me less, and is easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back