Best way to hold 1MZFE Camshaft Sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I may have a leaky camshaft seal. Kind of outsmarted myself 20k miles ago when I did the TB/WP and skipped the camshaft seals. What is the best way to hold the camshaft so I can remove the high torque camshaft sprocket bolt? I've read that some use a strap wrench but that looks pretty sketchy to me. Can I make a tool or do I need to buy one? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have done Toyata's that have some square spots on the camshaft itself that can be held with a big wrench or an adjustable.

Yes, but I won't be removing the valve covers because I just completed that job and there is no way I'm removing that rear cover again. NO WAY!

You're also going to need this to install the new seal, especially on the back one:

http://www.tooltopia.com/schley-63800.aspx

And getting the old seal out is tough, I bought one of these:

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-58430.aspx

BTW I'm not advertising for Tool Topia but it just happened to be where I got those three tools
smile.gif

Use an air impact it will come right off.

There's no way you can get an impact wrench on the back bank, you only have about an inch or two of clearance. Besides, you really want to hammer the camshaft around?

Quote:
you really want to hammer the camshaft around

With the belt on there is no problem, the impact doesn't stress the cam or crank or the threads much at all if used to remove the bolts.

Jack the car up and remove the lug nuts with an impact gun, there is very little if any movement of the wheel.
Course its a moot point if there is no room.

BTW i would not install with an impact gun, remove only.

Use an air impact it will come right off.

No room for a gun. Are you talking about an air ratchet? Can you get one with enough breaking torque?

Yes a gun, the air ratchet does not impact and would be useless in this case.
You can try a wrench and hit the wrench with a quick sharp hammer rap, that gets them loose some times.

I just don't like the idea of impacting a timing belt under any circumstances. Besides, you need the tool to put it back on anyway.

There are websites out there where people have fabricated homemade tools to hold the sprockets if you are so inclined. For me it was just easier to buy the tool. I've used it on my Honda as well.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I just don't like the idea of impacting a timing belt under any circumstances. Besides, you need the tool to put it back on anyway.

There are websites out there where people have fabricated homemade tools to hold the sprockets if you are so inclined. For me it was just easier to buy the tool. I've used it on my Honda as well.

I've made a number of special tools - I get a kick out of it. Some are really simple. I read many posts about how much trouble people had driving sparkplug tube seals into the 1MZFE valve cover. A bolt, couple nuts and some washers ground to the right OD made a perfect press which worked great.

Quote:
I just don't like the idea of impacting a timing belt under any circumstances

Whats the problem with doing this if you have the room?
The torque is not that high and an impact gun only hammers rotationally with quick short hammers, it can be used with a little finesse with experience.
These bolts come out with one quick trigger pull it doesn't sit there hammering for days.

Works great on alternator pulley nuts too.
Never install one with an impact as you cant control the torque.

Just because you don't "like" the idea of it, doesn't mean that it's not fine to do.

The torque is not that high and an impact gun only hammers rotationally with quick short hammers, it can be used with a little finesse with experience.
These bolts come out with one quick trigger pull it doesn't sit there hammering for days.

Agreed. Done it countless times myself.

If you want to go cheap, whatever tool you already have that fits on the crank bolt will work, but then you're putting a lot of tension on the belt. If you were okay with pulling the belt like that you would also have the option of pouring some oil in through a spark plug hole to hydrolock the engine as a fun alternative.

Okay, so you don't want to pull so hard on the belt. A strip of sheet metal and drill two holes in it. Put a nice long bolt through each hole with a pair on nuts sandwiching the bar at the end of the bolt away from the head. You now have the functional equivalent of the tool kschachn uses, but with the pins inline with the handle and no comfy rubber grip. Any peice of flat iron, angle iron, etc will work. Maybe some suitable piece of scrap metal will be laying around in a parking lot or on the side of the road.

Too much work? How about a cloth strap wrench. It is still pretty inexpensive and won't mar the sprocket the way a chain wrench will. If you expect your hands to be covered in oil and very slippery because you forgot to grab a rag to wipe them on or if you've got a case of the dropsies you can clip the strap to the sprocket.

Just because you have "Done it countless times myself" doesn't make it right. A timing belt is constructed to withstand forces consistent with operation in an engine. Is an impact wrench part of that design?

I didn't say no one should do it nor did I say that anyone who would do so is going to ruin their engine, etc. I just said I don't like the idea. I also wouldn't want anyone working on my car to use that method either.

So if you use that method to remove the bolt then how do you reinstall it?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Just because you don't "like" the idea of it, doesn't mean that it's not fine to do.

Quote:

Bolts are usually more difficult to remove than install.
A home made strap wrench made from an old timing belt and a heavy wooden dowel will hold it most of the time.
Quote:
I also wouldn't want anyone working on my car to use that method either.

Why not? You keep saying you don't like it but tell me what harm it does to either the cam, sprocket or fastener.

Quote:
A timing belt is constructed to withstand forces consistent with operation in an engine. Is an impact wrench part of that design?

I bet you want the mechanic to remove your lug nuts with a cross wrench too because an impact gun isn't part of that design either but neither is a cross wrench.

Just because you have "Done it countless times myself" doesn't make it right. A timing belt is constructed to withstand forces consistent with operation in an engine. Is an impact wrench part of that design?

I didn't say no one should do it nor did I say that anyone who would do so is going to ruin their engine, etc. I just said I don't like the idea. I also wouldn't want anyone working on my car to use that method either.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I like how people who don't work on cars for a living like to tell people who do how to do their job. I like to call them with forum mechanics, a little bit of knowledge makes them professionals. I agree with Trav and TheEric no harm done in removing, just don't install it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back