Chemical & Engineering News on Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is common knowledge for people in Europe. Otherwise, I think reading it would be useful for the common american driver. It is a mystery for me to see how long-lived the 3000-OCI myth is in the US.

When I ran 6 month OCI's, I ended up with so much sludge under the valve covers, the oil wouldn't run back to the crankcase. Went to 3 month ones like the manual for my new car said, and haven't had any problems.

That's strange. Do american oil-blenders use other additives in the US than in oil sold in Europe. Here in Europe it is quite normal to do 12-20K OCI. I have only experienced one person having a sludge-problem with his car. He didn't change his oil in 5-five!! years. He had been driving 100000 miles since he bought it used. In other areas he is considdered very smart, but he still does not understand why he should change his oil.

euro cars have smaller, higher revving engines... would a BMW 518i exist in the USA? No way.. can americans stand 4 cylinder cars? No!

lots of US cars loaf at 2000-2500 at 70 mph. My chevy truck does.

IMO this is what causes some of the problem.

The article is good, but Im a ChemE, so Im biased
wink.gif
5000 mi ocis are a good place to start, unless youre just a grocery getter or your engine never gets up to temp (though Ive exhibited excellent results in such service at extended OCI using M1).

JMH

I agree - my parent's ford focus has to be doing 4,000 rpm @ 75mph...

My car on the other hand a 04 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L Ecotec 140hp is geared so low that I can do 70mph @ 2,600 rpm and be a tad below 3,000 rpm @ 80mph.
grin.gif

I'd vote for synthetic in any engine... small or big.

Newer cars in Europa are all using synthetic oil, at least those that can do extended oil change intervals and still have warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by jonny-b:
That's strange. Do american oil-blenders use other additives in the US than in oil sold in Europe...

Yes, the API and ACEA test sequences are different, leading to different formulations. For one thing, phosphorus content is strictly limited due to emissions component warranties. There is a big emphasis on fuel economy as well. BMW NA uses a 5W-30 Castrol that does not seem to hold up to the full service interval programmed into the car. I understand that a different 5W-40 is used by dealers in Europe.

The other factor to consider is operating conditions. North America has a generally more severe climate than Western Europe. Oils that enable quick starts in a Canadian winter have to also withstand Arizona summers, because of the "one spec fits all" culture of US/Japanese automakers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back