2001 RX300 CD Player and Cassette not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends RX300 with 44,000 miles. She broke her second key. Lexus initially wanted $250 to make a new key and program it. When picking up the key they said it was too old and would cost $2,100.00. She questioned the cost in a assertive way. They then said they had a guy that could do it for $200, but he did not work at Lexus. He came to her house last week and programed a key. A few days later she reports the CD is not working. Radio works fine. If you press the CD or cassette button it just stays in the radio mode. Could the man that programed the key have disabled some features of the radio by accident? Radio fuse 1 & 2 look fine. There are no codes but my reader is only a basic one.

Try pulling the radio fuses for a few minutes. This should reset it which might fix the problem. If there is an anti theft code to unlock the radio, make sure you have it before pulling the fuse.

I don't see how programming a key could cause issues with the radio, especially on a 2001. Maybe I'm wrong on that though because some cars are unnecessarily complicated.

If the dealer wants $2,100 for a key, I would hate to see what they charge for a radio.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jim302
Try pulling the radio fuses for a few minutes. This should reset it which might fix the problem. If there is an anti theft code to unlock the radio, make sure you have it before pulling the fuse.

I don't see how programming a key could cause issues with the radio, especially on a 2001. Maybe I'm wrong on that though because some cars are unnecessarily complicated.

If the dealer wants $2,100 for a key, I wonder what they would want for a radio.
shocked2.gif

Opps! I already pulled the fuses. Where do you get the theft deterrent code?

I saw the reciept for 30,000 mile service. It was over $700.00. They mostly changed some fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I saw the reciept for 30,000 mile service. It was over $700.00. They mostly changed some fluids.

If there is a code it would have been provided with the car. The dealer should also be able to get it for you. However, I don't think that is the issue because usually if there is a code, the radio will not function at all without it.

Is there a CD changer that is external to the head unit? If so, check the wiring which will involve pulling the radio.

If this is a common problem, a vehicle specific forum might have better answers. If the CD player really is broken, an aftermarket unit may be the way to go.

It is an external CD player. I will go over to Club Lexus. I think she will just use the radio if it involves a lot ot repair or replacement. I was trying to see if something little could be the problem.

The radio has no security code.

The key programming and the cd player not working do not seem to be related. Over on CL we haven't had any threads that relate to something like this.

Also, a new key can be had for $144 over at Sewell with a Club Lexus discount.

Did you try removing the battery terminals, to reset the ECU? Sometimes a bad or low battery will cause weird things to happen.

Check the CD cartridge. Make sure nothing is stuck inside. Usually if there is something stuck in the cd cartridge, it will say "err 1" on the display.

Does the cartridge eject, or is the cd changer not working at all?

Sounds to me the disc reader in the glovebox needs to be replaced. I believe there are a few on eBay for around $150.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jim302

If there is a code it would have been provided with the car. The dealer should also be able to get it for you. However, I don't think that is the issue because usually if there is a code, the radio will not function at all without it.

Is there a CD changer that is external to the head unit? If so, check the wiring which will involve pulling the radio.

If this is a common problem, a vehicle specific forum might have better answers. If the CD player really is broken, an aftermarket unit may be the way to go.

It's not a common problem.

An aftermarket radio for the RX300 requires a ton of money, $1,000+. The RX300 radio system is tied in with the climate control, some people have upgraded their audio system, and relocated the climate controls in the glovebox. But, it costs a lot of money and time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish

An aftermarket radio for the RX300 requires a ton of money, $1,000+. The RX300 radio system is tied in with the climate control, some people have upgraded their audio system, and relocated the climate controls in the glovebox. But, it costs a lot of money and time.

Didn't realize that. There's no need for an audio system to be this complicated but that is a rant for another thread.

The key programming and the cd player not working do not seem to be related. Over on CL we haven't had any threads that relate to something like this.

Did you try removing the battery terminals, to reset the ECU? Sometimes a bad or low battery will cause weird things to happen.

Check the CD cartridge. Make sure nothing is stuck inside. Usually if there is something stuck in the cd cartridge, it will say "err 1" on the display.

Sounds to me the disc reader in the glovebox needs to be replaced. I believe there are a few on eBay for around $150.

I will disconnect the battery. I usually put my charger on it every month or so. Due to short trips and accessories the battery does bot get a full charge from the alternator.Re:Disc reader. I pressed the button but nothing happened. No CD info is on on the display. Thanks! I will tell her about the key.

I will disconnect the battery. I usually put my charger on it every month or so. Due to short trips and accessories the battery does bot get a full charge from the alternator.Re:Disc reader. I pressed the button but nothing happened. No CD info is on on the display. Thanks! I will tell her about the key.

You're Welcome.

Yeah, if the cartridge doesn't eject when you press the button then either there is no cartridge inside, or the CD player is toast (or well not getting power). It's easy to pull that part of the glovebox out, and check the connections on the CD player itself.

Somehow, my to do list keeps getting longer...I will do battery first, then check connections. (Cross fingers)

Well, the problem is fixed. The holder for the CD's was ejected! Now it is working fine. Thanks for all you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back