Tip for Ford 4.6 Starter replacement..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share something I had learned. If you are having to change a 3 bolt starter on a ford with a 4.6 or 5.4 try removing the starter solenoid first. This way you can get access to the top bolt with just a short extension and a wobble joint. Then put the new starter on without the solenoid and reattach it after the top bolts are installed.

Ya that is a good one. You won't believe how many of those I have seen come in with the top bolt not installed after someone else worked on it. It is a stupid design, but a company like Ford wouldn't put a bolt there if they could get away with not designing the component to not need it.

I just use a very long extension or a couple of long ones together with a universal and go in from the side in front of the motor mount.
It takes me about 15min to get it out, rotten battery cable end on the starter are common on these and cost about $125 from Ford.

What makes the job really easy is when it is on a Mustang that has an aftermarket K-Member like a Maximum Motorsports one. You can almost use a standard wrench with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back