Mobil's High Stability Esters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Many of the members on this list have asked for the paper which discusses Mobil's new developments.

With the Moderator's indulgence, I would like to post the reference here.

"High Stability Esters for Synthetic Lubricant Applications," Lubrication Engineering, February 2001, pp. 21-26. This paper discusses the Tri-Syn formaulation as well as their new (SuperSyn??) formulation.

Thats what this is all about.
grin.gif
A place for people to share info and I for one along with many others here really appreciate you and the time you have taken to provide and share what you know and have.
cheers.gif

Sorry,

But it has 5 tables, and it would be somewhat difficult to reproduce that + text. In addition, I don't copyright permissions to put it on the web.

Try the local university library.

Fron the Mobil 1 TriSyn Thread:

From what I have been able to decipher (See Interesting Articles Section), the Supersyn not only contains new PAO's, but also new esters, combined with powerful new antioxidants that were formerly used in jet engines. Now, it is not clear what their new friction modifier is. It could be the same friction modifier that a.) Amsoil uses in their 2000, 3000 series, b.) a new ester, c. or a new organometallic additive. I first thought it might be a new FM called "Barium Napthenate," but the Barium levels in the [oil analysis] tests so far do not bear that out. The only way to find out is to have a $400 test run, but could probably not publish the results anyway. More Oil Analysis tests, in my view, is the least costly and most practical route.

Now, just because these same constituents were used in jet engines does not make then superior in automotive applications, since the flame of combustion (and resulting blow-by) is present in automotives oils, whereas in jet engines, low starting temps and the high bearing pack temperatures and oxidation are the big concerns.

I have purchased a good number of 5 quart jugs of Supersyn 10W30 and will be doing a test this fall against Amsoil's 10W30 ATM for 5-7k intervals. I am very interested in seeing the oxidation , viscosity, and wear metal differences.

After that, I will test some of the Schaeffer's products; have already been in discussion with the local rep about my "shopping list."

Pulled from nother post about the Supersyn
(How do they get 11 TBN with such low organo- mettalic adds? Magic..... nope, esters derived from magic.)

This oil might just turn out better than it has been cussed,,,I mean dicussed
wink.gif

Time will tell

Only the analysis will tell for sure.

You might have seen that I plan on running 10W30 SuperSyn late summer early fall and as
soon as enough miles accumulate, I'll have it analyzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back