Oil For 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L. It's got 85k miles and runs perfectly with great oil pressure. The past two changes have been Mobil 1 High Mileage (full synthetic) 10w-30 and most recently Rotella T6 5w-40. Before this, I was using conventional oil. Ever since I first put the Mobil 1 in I've noticed a more pronounced "clattering" at cold start-up. I know this is normal for Jeeps, but I'm just pointing it out because it wasn't as noticeable before I started using synthetic. I'd really like to try Rotella T5 10w-30 semi-synthetic but it's not carried in my area (mid-coastal NJ and middle of PA for college).

In terms of my driving habits, my trips are mostly in the 5-10 mile range with a few long trips to and from college. Occasionally the Jeep sits for 4-5 days without being started.

Owners manual calls for 5w-40.

I have no brand allegiance...I look forward to hearing opinions!

I have a 2001 with the same engine and run PU 10W30. I looked up your engine on the Amsoil website and it says 10W30 for that year also above 0F. I think you are not correct about the 5W40. The temp range in NJ is not that different from Albany where I live. So I would go to Walmart and get PP or PU 10W30 and a Bosch D+ or Mobil1 1 filter and call it a day. I would not use a HM oil in a vehicle with no oil leaks due to the seal swelling additives in HM oils.

BTW - I replaced the engine at around 95K miles due to piston skirt damage which trashed the engine. They are know for it. Hope you have better luck.

I had a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0, and I could of swore the manual called for 10w30. Either way, these motors do fine with any API certified motor oil. Are you looking for oils with a strong add-pack, cost the most, cost the least, or what? Personally, I'd suggest you decide if you want conventional or synthetic, and then start looking for the sales advertisements.

Years ago I had a 1990 Cherokee with the 4.0L, it had 229k+ miles on it when I got rid of it. I would love to get another one, I love the Cherokees. I got a 2000 Wrangler with the 4.0L in January & I changed the the oil to Pennzoil yellow bottle. Runs great on it too. Next oil change will be with Pennzoil HM, I picked it up on sale for a good price. I will use Quaker State Defy after that. I have also heard really good things about Mobil 5000 in the 4.0L also.
Just my 2 cents.

Huge mistake on my part...owners manual calls for 10w-30. I was in the T6 mindset!

I'm not partial to synthetic or non-synthetic, nor am I particularly picky about price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tros
I had a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0, and I could of swore the manual called for 10w30. Either way, these motors do fine with any API certified motor oil. Are you looking for oils with a strong add-pack, cost the most, cost the least, or what? Personally, I'd suggest you decide if you want conventional or synthetic, and then start looking for the sales advertisements.

My 1997 calls for 10W-30 above 20 degrees, 5W-30 below 60 degrees. Default recommendation is, in fact, 10W-30. Due to the 4.0 not having a roller cam, I currently run high-ZDDP QS Defy (available in 5W-30 and 10W-30)...come summer, I will probably run 15W-40 diesel oil.

10w30 or 10w40 valvoline conventional. 4.0 really love 10w40 but either will work. 4l are bare bones basic straight 6 with a tough as nails attitude. Give her valvoline and she will love forever.

Originally Posted By: jls095
I'm not partial to synthetic or non-synthetic, nor am I particularly picky about price.

Frankly, with your low-mile commute I would stick with a 5w30 conventional oil. Your motor will stay clean, and your wallet will love you. You can step it up to a high mileage oil, or something like like QS's Defy (with plenty of ZDDP) but I don't feel it is necessary as I've seen plenty of 4.0's go hundreds of thousands of miles on basic conventional motor oil. The motor oil isn't going to dictate how long that motor will last; whether or not the motor has a chance to warm up to operating temps, and basic maintenance will.

As far as brand choice, they all are very good. Even the in-house motor oils pass API standards to get the SN rating, and that's saying something. I'm currently using Quaker State products because of their low price, but any brand will suite you perfectly. Happy hunting!

For the wonderful 4.0 classic, a lot of guys like an HDEO or something higher in ZDDP than most due to the flat tappets, but once well broken in it seems the 4.0 doesn't really seem to care. A good 5w30 in the cold months and 10w30 otherwise is really all you'll need IMO.

I've spent hours reading UOA's on 4.0's, they really seem to like Valvoline, Rotella and I've had great results on Pennzoil with mine as well. Consider an oversize filter for better flow also, like the Motorcraft FL-1A or Purolator L30001. One thing both I and others have noted, Mobil 1 posts rotten looking UOA's in the 4.0 so I'd stay away from that.

So I'm thinking about running Rotella T 10w-30 with shorter OCIs (3000) instead of a synthetic (T6 5w-40) with longer OCIs. Any merit to this idea?

So I'm thinking about running Rotella T 10w-30 with shorter OCIs (3000) instead of a synthetic (T6 5w-40) with longer OCIs. Any merit to this idea?

I think that would work great! Is this the t5 synthetic blend your talking about? I have never seen a T 10w-30 conventional before. only strait 30 or 15w-40 for conventional rotella.

Last edited:
Last edited:
very interesting, i don't have that in my area. But still it should work great! I would consider using it with 3k OCIs for myself if I had it around. yeah you can probably go longer then 3k miles but for the price (if its the same price as T3 15w-40) Id rather keep the oil changed more often then needed.

Great choice, no need for shorter runs with the Rotella though, its an HDEO which is like a high mileage oil on steriods, TBN is much higher than standard oils, it could do 5k standing on it's head and 7.5 k is not likely out of the question.

The T5 syn blend is available at Walmart, I get the regular Dino at Advance which they run on sale every once in a while. Price for the 10w30 is the same as the 15w40, you just have to look a bit for the 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
You can try Valvoline NextGen Max Life. I have a 95 Wrangler with a 4.0, and the Jeep is doing really good.

Another good idea, the 4.0 likes Valvoline and I think the Maxlife is their best offering when you consider price into the equation. I have Maxlife in mine right now in fact and it's very happy on it. Best UOA I've ever found for the 4.0 was on 10w30 Maxlife, but it was only a 3k run.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Since1941
You can try Valvoline NextGen Max Life. I have a 95 Wrangler with a 4.0, and the Jeep is doing really good.

Another good idea, the 4.0 likes Valvoline and I think the Maxlife is their best offering when you consider price into the equation. I have Maxlife in mine right now in fact and it's very happy on it. Best UOA I've ever found for the 4.0 was on 10w30 Maxlife, but it was only a 3k run.

This is my first time trying it. I was looking at Pennzoil/Rotella, but like the idea of environmental conservation, so I thought the NextGen Max Life would be a good choice. So far she is running great.

I Have run PU In mine for years, Switched to Kendall GT-1 last year. 5w30 SemiSynth. Engine is responsive and (relatively speaking) quiet.
176k on the clock, MY 2000 sport.

Last edited:
my choice Rotella T5/T6 10w30/5w40 . and any oil that 10w40 weight. No need to extra zddp like most peoples say, these engine have weak spring, no need for extra zddp. take me a while, research and made a decision .

Im currently running 10w40 mobil clean 5000 .

Last edited:

I work for Lowe's and my store sells the Rotella 10W-30 blend. I'm in NW NJ.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back