Oil For 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Since1941
You can try Valvoline NextGen Max Life. I have a 95 Wrangler with a 4.0, and the Jeep is doing really good.

Another good idea, the 4.0 likes Valvoline and I think the Maxlife is their best offering when you consider price into the equation. I have Maxlife in mine right now in fact and it's very happy on it. Best UOA I've ever found for the 4.0 was on 10w30 Maxlife, but it was only a 3k run.

I forgot to mention Valvoline earlier, I used it in my old Cherokee. Right now a lot of Walmarts seem to be putting the Valvoline NextGen on clearance. I will definitely pick some up if it's a good deal.

Last edited:
The Only differance that i noticed when using Mobil 1 EP 10w-30 in my 2001 SilverStone Metallic Jeep Cherokees 64,420 mile 4.0 is a very small leak, maby more like seepage from the front, yes the front of the oil pan. My other Jeeps with the 4.0(my 87, 96, and 99) All leak from the rear main like most 4.0s do.

I think i will use Castrol HIGH Mileage 10w-30 and a NAPA Pro-Select 21515 oil filter the next oil change I do for my 01 Cherokee, even though Shes not at 75,000 miles yet. I wonder if I should be worried?

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
The Only differance that i noticed when using Mobil 1 EP 10w-30 in my 2001 SilverStone Metallic Jeep Cherokees 64,420 mile 4.0 is a very small leak, maby more like seepage from the front, yes the front of the oil pan. My other Jeeps with the 4.0(my 87, 96, and 99) All leak from the rear main like most 4.0s do.

Mine has a tiny seep at the very front as well, nothing at the back. Nothing hitting the ground though, very minor.

A lot of good recommendations here. Spin the wheel and pick an oil. The 4.0L really won't care.

Some here mention the pan gasket leak. Felpro makes a nice one-piece rubberized that works well.

The only time my Jeep leaks, it when it's upside down.
19.gif

currently running 10w40 super mobil 5000, but next oil change, imma go back to 10w30 quaker state high miles defy year round, try to use 1 kind oil and same weight for all my car, keep it simple hehe

When I re-Built my 99s 4.0 last summer, used a Fel-Pro 1 piece rubber gasket, which is the stock part anyway, and am as pleased as can be. What a good design. I still have the old one, exactly the same as the Fel-Pro i picked up from Auto-Zone for $19.95, just a bit burnt along the exhaust manifold side in the middle. The manifolds collector is Kinda close to the oil pan there. Its not the oil pan gasket thats leaking from my old 4.0s(87 with 294,825 miles on original everything, 96 with 249,398 miles on original everyhting, 99 with 140,620(last 820 miles Break-In on recently re-Built 4.0). Its the rear main oil seal. It drips down the inside of the tranns inspection plate when its the rear main. My 96 dosent leak hardly at all, thank goodness being a manual trans, with a New clutch.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
When I re-Built my 99s 4.0 last summer, used a Fel-Pro 1 piece rubber gasket, which is the stock part anyway, and am as pleased as can be. What a good design. I still have the old one, exactly the same as the Fel-Pro i picked up from Auto-Zone for $19.95, just a bit burnt along the exhaust manifold side in the middle. The manifolds collector is Kinda close to the oil pan there. Its not the oil pan gasket thats leaking from my old 4.0s(87 with 294,825 miles on original everything, 96 with 249,398 miles on original everyhting, 99 with 140,620(last 820 miles Break-In on recently re-Built 4.0). Its the rear main oil seal. It drips down the inside of the tranns inspection plate when its the rear main. My 96 dosent leak hardly at all, thank goodness being a manual trans, with a New clutch.

I wish someone would of told my FIL about the FP gasket it would of saved his engine and 19.95 sounds a lot better than 800 for a new engine.

233,335miles...

I change the oil religiously every 3,000-4,000miles.

I use for the better part of how many ever years that it has been on the shelves in stores.... Vavoline Maxlife HM 10w30 along with a quart bottle of the LUCAS oil stabilizer. Oh yeah, I use only WIX 51515 oil filters. It is a little bigger than the 1085napa gold or 1515wix.

I have power, great oil pressure, and high miles... Plus the jeep is paid for. I have been driving this jeep since I was 16.

I don't care that people say they hate lucas oil products. But I vouch the UCL and the oil stabilizer do work. I also fuel up with SHELL, Chevron, or Texaco gas in this here XJ.

It's all about maintaining your vehicle not running it til it [censored] out on you on the side of the road.

that's just my 2cents on the subject matter

Last edited:
Rotella 5w-40 works well for mine!

I've had luck with 5w30 oils; after heavy offroading events I've noticed I have less oil pressure at idle.

I have around 4000 miles on the Rotella 5w-40 and haven't lost any viscosity.

I think for my next trick, I'm going to try a 30grade HDEO. I'd like to try to avoid too heavy of an oil. It's still young, only 110k on it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Rotella 5w-40 works well for mine!

I've had luck with 5w30 oils; after heavy offroading events I've noticed I have less oil pressure at idle.

I have around 4000 miles on the Rotella 5w-40 and haven't lost any viscosity.

I think for my next trick, I'm going to try a 30grade HDEO. I'd like to try to avoid too heavy of an oil. It's still young, only 110k on it.

The Rotella 10w30 is mighty good.
smile.gif

Do they make a 5w30 HDEO? I want light for the cold starts ... especially here in the northeast.

For the winter, I might go with M1 0w-30. I don't beat on the jeep at all in the winter. Just occasionally drive it to work or around town to get everything up to temperature.

Do they make a 5w30 HDEO? I want light for the cold starts ... especially here in the northeast.

For the winter, I might go with M1 0w-30. I don't beat on the jeep at all in the winter. Just occasionally drive it to work or around town to get everything up to temperature.

I would avoid the M1 0w30 in the 4.0. My UOA showed that with M1 the engine made more than twice the iron than with any other oil I've tested (including Amsoil, Valvoline, and even ST Syn) Other wear indicators were roughly the same.

Last edited:

5W-40 HDEO is pretty common (Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, formerly Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T), never seen a 5W-30 HDEO.

The engine you have is a great engine and will last a long time and is almost bullet proof if you treat her right. I bought mine new in 94 and have never had a problem with the engine. It has 124k miles and has had all sorts of oil in grades of 5w30, 10w30 and 15w40 in her. I do change it every 3000-3500 miles and use Purolator filters. Does not burn oil. I thing the key with that engine is good routine maintenance. She will be good a long time.
39.gif

Just a further update...I am now currently deciding between PYB and Rotella T (both 10w-30). Yes, the Rotella has more zinc, but I'm being pulled to PYB after seeing KCJeep's thread where he mentioned that his 4.0 was running quieter than ever. A member of Jeepforum also confirmed this. Considering that PYB still has a measure of 850-900 in the zinc department, maybe I should try it? I do have a little clatter upon start-up (goes away when warm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back