Who Makes The Best Car Alarms/Security Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
who makes the best car alarms and security systems also where can i buy a starter interrupt?
My youngest brother has a teenage son that was caught "using" his new explorer and he wants me to install a starter kill and or aftermarket alarm system.. Any ideas and what name brands?
I have used audiovox prestige in the past.
I am a little worried about the factory warantee it is a 2011 ford suv..
He is also worried about car theft he works in the bronx

Last edited:
DEI. They market the Clifford, Viper, etc brands.

Unfortunately the alarm is only as good as your installer. That whole industry is notorious for shoddy work.

i am going to install it myself i solder all wires and hide them very well.
I have an engine shop but have also teached auto electronics

Smith&Wesson
39.gif

i spent 15 bux and routed a starter kill switch to the under-trunk-lip (above the license plate) in my old miata.... it wouldn't kill the ign, just the starter....

then i added a messed up alarm siren and a 3 minute timer and mounted it under the dash... so if someone tried to start it while the sw was flipped, the siren would sound for 3 minutes....in the dash... next to the wiring for the cutout relay... anyone who wanted to bypass that would really really be wanting that car.

funny thing was... it had come with an alarm mounted under the hood. I don't care what brand it was, the installation was key. 3 times that alarm had been set off, hood opened, and wires cut (there were 3 splices/repairs). It was a convertible... easy to open the hood... so plan the install-- that can mean more than the brand.

or see if it was a factory option, and go that route.

Directed Electronics (DEI) is the best you can buy, they have been the best for a very long time now. DEI products work great and last forever if they are installed properly. Their top quality alarm is Viper, but they also make Sidewinder, Python and the Hornet and Your Valet lines. DEI owns Clifford and a few other brands too. Your Valet is mostly just a stand-alone keyless entry/remote start unit. You can visit www.directed.com for a lot more info. There are a few other independents still left, like Code Alarm, Bulldog and Chapman, but DEI has pretty much taken over the car security market.

You need to be very careful installing the alarm yourself. You need a very good working knowlegde of relays, diodes, resistors and you need a very good knowledge of the electrical system in the vehicle. A lot of vehicles nowadays require interface modules to work with the starter, ignition and accessory functions in the vehicle and there are a lot of funky low-voltage systems out there too. Also, most DEI shops will not sell you the product without installation. That is part of their warranty and dealer agreement.

i taught auto electronics so i know what to do
I wanted input as to which system...Does anyone make a starter kill years ago harrison did but they are out of business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back