Do teenage boys still do chores around the house??

Luckily my sons liked to be outdoors playing sports, biking, camping, etc.... so 1 hour in the hot sun cutting the grass and pulling weeds didn’t bother them.

They were not the type to be in doors all day playing Sega and being couch potatoes.

Do teenage boys still do chores and help out around the house especially during the summer vacation??

My wife and I are probably the oldest couple on a street that is probably 95% families with teen children. We have no children. Since spring I have been working at home and am out in the front yard often,mowing, trimming, cleaning windows, washing our cars, you name it.

The neighbors have children from probably 10 or 12 years old up to college age. NEVER see any of them outside doing any type of chores.

Yesterday while I was finishing up my lawn mowing, neighbor across the street came home after working 8-10 hours, and started mowing. Meanwhile his two boys rode their BMX bikes up and down the street and generally screwed around the whole time.

I'm the youngest of four boys and my dad (especially during the summer) would have a list lying on the kitchen table of chores for me to have completed by the time he came home from work. I could sleep in as late as I wanted as long as that list was done by the time he came home. If it was not done, I would not be in for a pleasant night.

My mom passed away when I was 15 so my chore list could be extensive including:

House cleaning and laundry, and making dinner the best I could.

All vehicle maintenance including but not limited to: Weekly car washing/vacuuming, Waxing, oil changes, tune up including points, plugs, condenser, timing. Tire rotations

ALL lawn mowing and trimming, tree trimming, tool sharpening as well as maintaining all the equipment in top notch condition. Also in winter time lots of snow shoveling!

As I recall most of my friends did similar type of chores for their families.

I knew how to use all hand tools and power tools, as well as how to tune and maintain anything from a Briggs and Statton lawnmower to a small block Chevy.

My old man didn't have a college degree, but was a WW2 veteran who was an aircraft mechanic during the war. He was incredibly smart and mechanically gifted. I miss him everyday.

So back to my original question. Do you that have teenage boys put them to work around the house?
Glad to see that my OP from 2017 is still getting some action! Love all the responses. Although we are in a different neighborhood now, teenagers are still pretty much the same.

When I was a kid it was literally an honor to be able to help my dad mow the yard,etc. We loved it when we'd be pushing the mower with our shirts off showing how strong and tough we were because we were doing a "man's" chore and the neighborhood girls would walk or ride by. Now THAT was a badge of honor!
laugh.gif
Yep,being a kid in the 70s rocked!
By the time I was 11 or 12 I was mowing our 1/2 acre yard while mom and dad were at work. By the time I was 12-13 I had other yards to mow for extra spending money. Not only was I mowing yards for extra cash but was riding my bike about 4-8 miles each way to get to them. Back in those days people didn't pay $50 to get a 1/4 acre of grass mowed either. My best paying yard paid $7. and was probably 2+ acres. I lived in the country and there weren't girls to show off too.

Back