briggs and stratton oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes this stuff? WE have been running this in my Dads inteck 16hp twin since it was new. It has used oil since day one but is a strong engine. I mean everytime you mow for an hour and a half you have to add several ounces to top it off. Its straight 30weight by the way. It will go from full to the add oil mark ever single time. This engine only has 350 hours on it.

Now, the great experiment. I changed the oil the other day with Shell rotella T6 5w 40w. So far it has not used a drop of oil. Maybe the thicker oil is stopping it up some? Its getting dirty pretty quick but not as fast as the briggs oil. These intecks are no vanguards but I will say this one is still strong as all get out. I just hate oil burners.

FWIW, the engine is a 405777 which means its 40 cubic inches which is huge for a 16hp imo. I found this to be unusual. Its an inteck extended life series. It was also smoking when you gave it full throttle and pulled the throttle back quickly. Its not doing that now. I still dont think much of these engines but this may help the oil consumption some. We will see.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that the intek was a residential grade and the vangard was commercial. 350 hours on a residential grade OPE is actually a lot.

I would consider rotella 5-40 a step up from the briggs sae 30. Briggs also makes a sythetic 5-30 now that is I'm sure better. Some people like to assume they have some amazing additive, but I've never seen anything to indicate that.

I hope the 5-40 helps, that mower could have another 1000 hours or be ready to be put down, all depends on how it was taken care of.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It was my understanding that the intek was a residential grade and the vangard was commercial. 350 hours on a residential grade OPE is actually a lot.

I would consider rotella 5-40 a step up from the briggs sae 30. Briggs also makes a sythetic 5-30 now that is I'm sure better. Some people like to assume they have some amazing additive, but I've never seen anything to indicate that.

I hope the 5-40 helps, that mower could have another 1000 hours or be ready to be put down, all depends on how it was taken care of.

WE are going to run it till it blows. I have a Vanguard engine with 100 more hours and it has never burned a drop of oil. WE do keep the oil changed in them but run them and go on. I am not sure what kind of hours you can get out of an inteck but thanks for the info. I know its not top shelf stuff for sure. The motor runs on the rich side and has fouled out a set of plugs sometime back. I have never put a plug in my Vanguard with almost 500 hours on it but I probably should.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

WE are going to run it till it blows.

How many people have actually blown a B&S? I mean other than running it out of oil and seizing it... I never have. I HAVE run them so many hours that its "fill the oil and check the gas..." :)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

WE are going to run it till it blows.

How many people have actually blown a B&S? I mean other than running it out of oil and seizing it... I never have. I HAVE run them so many hours that its "fill the oil and check the gas..." :)

Its just a state of mind. I have never blown one up either but I ran one so long it lost compression and just layed down.

Who makes this stuff?

BRIGGS HEAVY DUTY LAWNMOWER OIL SAE 30 made by OLYMPIC OIL, LTD., Cicero, IL.

Olympic Oil is part of "DeltaCompaniesGroup" (deltacompany.net US/Canada blenders, packaging, and warehouses), subsidiary of Greif (greif.com)

I had a B&S drop and rod a blew a hole through the side of the block on my generator. Still to this day I have no idea what happened, I always used good quality oil changed it every year. It probably had only 50-60 hours on it and was about 7 years old, we don't use it much to often. Must have just been a fluke. I bought a new briggs for it and have been using it for about 5 years now. So far so good......

Originally Posted By: carwreck
Who makes this stuff?

Olympic Oil is part of "DeltaCompaniesGroup" (deltacompany.net US/Canada blenders, packaging, and warehouses), subsidiary of Greif (greif.com)

Thanks, I dont think much of it to be honest but my Dad always bought it and I just changed it and added to it after every mowing. Hopefully, the rotella will clean it up and hopefully stop it up some. This motor is a bit of a project and experiment at this time.

Could anybody point me to a cross reference for oil filters for small engines please? Thank you.

My Briggs and Kohler, takes the same filters, I use Purolator classic L10241. I like the filter look up on WixFilters.com. It will show all the specs and sizes for the filters.

Ive blown up a couple but not from maintenance. I used to find non working ones and fix them up and sell them. I had found a 5.5 bagless one for my sister back in the day but she needed a more powerfull one cause she could of used a DR trimmer instead of a lawn mower. So i milled the head for around 10-1 compression and ported and polished it and even slapped a k&n on it (i know). I set the max rpm for a few hundred more and she mowed with that thing for a few years before it threw a rod.

I made one run on alcohol and that thing was cool but that too met its maker from a rod.

I guess the rod is the weak point. Only when messed with but stock a briggs gets my vote. Also these things were mostly found in the junk yard so i wasnt starting with new anything.

Originally Posted By: carwreck
Who makes this stuff?

Good find!

About as clear as mud though. FWIW, Kohler branded oil is supposedly formulated like a HDEO/Motorcycle oil, so one would *assume* Briggs labeled oil is also. I'd use it over a conventional car oil.

Joel

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
When I think about what we did to Briggs motors as a kid, they may not be able to be blown up!

You mean like me running a late 60s vintage 3-horse mower for several years with the governor spring stretched way out so it effectively had no governor? Just whing it wide open and get a running start at the weeds. And yes, I used it to mow things that rightly should have been cut with a brush hog, not a mower. Even then, it was the carburetor (and the mower deck that the engine was on...) that sent that one to the junkyard, not the engine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

You mean like me running a late 60s vintage 3-horse mower for several years with the governor spring stretched way out so it effectively had no governor?

Heck, we used to do that on our cobbled up homemade go-carts and minibikes!

It was a total 'win the lottery' score if you could find a junked edger or tiller with a horizontal shaft Briggs to use.

I recall my buddy running his Briggs powered go-cart with ATF in the oil sump (and basically no governor) because he didn't have any oil on hand. It was an oil burner to begin with and really stunk on ATF.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back