Filter Specs -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a weird issue here - I have a 2005 Honda Civic and 2010 Acura TL that I maintain. Also might be taking over oil changes for a 2011 CR-V.

Wix always said the Civic needed a 51356, and the other two a 57356. I looked at the specs, and they appeared to be the same except for the color (black vs. white). I haven't used them interchangeably, but can I? Wix is now listing the 57356 for the Civic, which supports the theory that they're the same.

Purolator says the PL14610 fits both.

Denso says the 150-1009 is the filter they make for the Civic, but they state they have no filters for the other two applications.

I have a few of each, purchased to fulfill $25 Amazon orders and whatnot. I'd like to know whether it's safe to just use them interchangeably or whether I'd be putting any warranties in jeopardy if one were to fail. Is there a specific manufacturer spec I can look up and compare to the filter specs? Or should I just trust the filter manufacturers to accurately know which vehicles the filters fit?

AFAIR all Honda/Acura engines, except S2000, use 1 oil filter 15400-PLM-A01 or newer 15400-PLM-A02. Therefore Purolator PL14610 and Wix 57356 will fit all Honda/Acura engines, except S2000.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
AFAIR all Honda/Acura engines, except S2000, use 1 oil filter 15400-PLM-A01 or newer 15400-PLM-A02. Therefore Purolator PL14610 and Wix 57356 will fit all Honda/Acura engines, except S2000.

Right. And those are the examples where the filter manufacturer specs them for all 3 cars. My question is about the ones where the filter manufacturer specs them for 1 car and not the others. Like the Denso 150-1009 or the Wix 51356. If they take the same Fram filter, the same Purolator filter, and one of the same Wix filters, is it safe to consider any filter that fits one interchangeable and safe for use on the others?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The older 3.2TL also has a different filter from 15400-PLM-A0x. There's also a third model that uses a different filter, but I can't remember what that one is just now.

A01 and A02 are identical except for manufacturer; they meet the same specs.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

They're definitely not identical, but they both meet Honda's specs. I remember someone cut them both open and the A01 was substantially more robust-looking. Anybody have the link handy?

In any case, that's good information to have, but doesn't speak to my original question. I have opted against the A01 and A02 in favor of the following 3 filters:

Denso 150-1009
Wix 51356/57356
Purolator PureOne PL14610

PL14610 and 57356 are definitely good to go for all vehicles. Question is whether I can assume 51356 and 150-1009 are as well, despite the fact that the manufacturer doesn't list them as fitting the applications. Especially with the 2 cars they're not listed for under warranty. Thanks

The WIX filter look-up used to return 51365 for my Nissan and the 51356 for our Saturn and my mother-in-law's 2002 Civic. Now it returns 57356 for the Civic, still 51356 for our Saturn, and 51358 or 51356 for my Nissan. Strange.

If the PL14610 works, so should both the DENSO 150-1009 and 150-1010. (There's only a very, very, very small difference in the dimensions of the two.) I've used the latter on all three of the vehicles I mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: oiltard

They're definitely not identical, but they both meet Honda's specs. I remember someone cut them both open and the A01 was substantially more robust-looking.

Oh, that silliness again.

A01 and A02 meet identical performance and dimensional specs from Honda. That one of the looked "more robust" than the other is totally meaningless.

They're definitely not identical, but they both meet Honda's specs. I remember someone cut them both open and the A01 was substantially more robust-looking.

Oh, that silliness again.

A01 and A02 meet identical performance and dimensional specs from Honda. That one of the looked "more robust" than the other is totally meaningless.

I wasn't making an argument about the serviceability of either of those filters. Not sure why you insist on repeatedly trying to derail my thread which contains a legitimate question still awaiting a definitive answer.

Can I use the Denso 150-1009 and the Wix 51356 in the CR-V and the TL or would that be a problem if there ever were an issue that required repairs/replacement under warranty? My concern is due to the fact that these filter manufacturers don't list them as the correct filters for those applications. Thanks.

A similar discussion thread (see below) took place awhile back. I don't know why Wix is now showing the 57356. But, looking at a zoomed pic on the Wix site it doesn't 'appear' to have the silicone (red) adbv that of the 51356, other than that specs look the same.

I'd prefer the 51356 which crosses with the Puro PL14610 and the Fram #7317. And while I'm not as familiar with the Denso if it crosses with the 14610/7317, it too should be good to go.

For the reasons listed above, imo the 51356 can be safely interchanged with the 57356, but I'd prefer the former based on knowing it's construction.

As for Honda oem manufacturer specs, very difficult to get any published information, afaik there isn't any for the A-01 or A-02. Same goes for most oem's, it's proprietary.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2393573

Originally Posted By: sayjac
while I'm not as familiar with the Denso if it crosses with the 14610/7317, it too should be good to go.

On the Purolator site, the DENSO 150-1009 and 150-1010 both cross to an L14610. On the DENSO site, the Fram PH7317 crosses to both the 150-1009 and 150-1010.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: sayjac
while I'm not as familiar with the Denso if it crosses with the 14610/7317, it too should be good to go.

On the Purolator site, the DENSO 150-1009 and 150-1010 both cross to an L14610. On the DENSO site, the Fram PH7317 crosses to both the 150-1009 and 150-1010.

I'll probably just play it safe and keep the Denso's for the Civic, use the couple PureOne's I have in the stash on the other two, and order the P1's or Wix 57356's going forward, since they're specifically listed on the manufacturers' sites for all 3 vehicles. Shame though, I really like how the Denso's look and would be able to keep my price/unit very low buying 3-car quantities.

Rest assured, if you can use a PL14610 or a WIX 51356/57356 for an application, you can safely use the DENSO 150-1009, regardless of whether DENSO's website's parts lookup feature returns it as a result for your vehicle.

Rest assured, if you can use a PL14610 or a WIX 51356/57356 for an application, you can safely use the DENSO 150-1009, regardless of whether DENSO's website's parts lookup feature returns it as a result for your vehicle.

That's exactly what I was trying to rest assured about. So there's no chance that the Wix and P1 filters have some magical Acura/Honda specified property that the Denso lacks?

So there's no chance that the Wix and P1 filters have some magical Acura/Honda specified property that the Denso lacks?

Nope. Besides, the DENSO site's cross-reference tool indicates that the 150-1009 and 150-1010 are equivalents of WIX 51356, Fram PH7317, and Mobil 1 M1-110.

Like you, I really like the DENSO filters. And if you haven't already seen it, I cut one open here.

Like you, I really like the DENSO filters. And if you haven't already seen it, I cut one open here.

I did see it. That was integral in my decision to like the filters. Thanks for doing it!

would that be a problem if there ever were an issue that required repairs/replacement under warranty? My concern is due to the fact that these filter manufacturers don't list them as the correct filters for those applications.
It's entirely possible that the manufacturer would refuse to honour the warranty if you used a filter that wasn't spec'd for the car. That's why I always suggest using the factory-recommended filter during the warranty.

Looking into this further I went to the Napa site and looked up the equivalent 7356 and the comment says "Changed From 1356 to 7356 Due to OE Part Number Consolidation".

That to me implies that Honda is combining some filter applications, not adding anything with regard to the filter's specificity. In other words, I'd have no worries using 71356/1356, the PL/L14610, 7317, or Bosch 3323, that includes under warranty. All of those cross with the A-01/-02. I would like to know what applications Honda is consolidating, perhaps the older Hondas' Puro PL/L14459 and/or maybe the S2000 filter.

I would like to see a dissection of the 7356/1356, but I've read on another Honda forum that some say they look like a cheapened version of the 1356, and one posted price seemed to indicate they are less expensive than the 51356/1356, perhaps with a nitrile adbv. But that at this point, is just speculation on my part.

Can I use the Denso 150-1009 and the Wix 51356 in the CR-V and the TL or would that be a problem if there ever were an issue that required repairs/replacement under warranty? My concern is due to the fact that these filter manufacturers don't list them as the correct filters for those applications. Thanks.

You've answered your own question there.

If the car is still under warranty, why try and save a few dollars for the risk you're obviously afraid of? Buy the correct parts that you know will fit and work correctly. Once the car is out of warranty you can put whatever magick alchemy you like on there.

I do not understand the tendency of some to give upwards of $25-grand to an automaker for a piece of their hardware, but then begrudge a few extra dollars for their maintenance items. It's as though the principle of getting "ripped off" for a few dollars on "$tealer$hip" parts overrides the security of the $25K purchase from that same $tealer$hip.

Tegger -

That's not really a fair depiction of my question. I'm asking about the filter manufacturers' lists of applications and why they don't seem to align with the vehicle manufacturers' specifications.

I don't have access to the manufacturer's specifications for filtration on these units, and I don't think that information is available to me.

It's not an unreasonable question either. If I go to the dealership to buy filters for the three vehicles, they sell me 3 of the same filter. Does that mean a filter that fits one fits all 3? If so, why doesn't Denso spec the filter for the Acura and the CR-V? And why doesn't Wix spec the 51356 for those 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back