What 0w-20 2012 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run about 80% on the highway and will run by the oil monitor which will give me about 9000 to 10000 miles on a oil change. Looking at 4 oils. The Quaker State for 20.50, Mobil One for 26.50 at wal mart or the Honda or Toyota at about 30.00 at the dealer. I use PureOne Oil Filters. I traded a 2006 Accord in with 200000 miles on it that I ran Mobil One 5w20 8000 mile oil changes 0 problems. I want the best protection and best fuel economy.

You may have a 5th option soon; Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 has started showing up at Walmart for $25. I normally use the Mobil 1 0W-20 (in both vehicles), but tried the PP 0W-20 this weekend in our MDX. I will also use it next in the CR-V.

Originally Posted By: cchilb
I run about 80% on the highway and will run by the oil monitor which will give me about 9000 to 10000 miles on a oil change. Looking at 4 oils. The Quaker State for 20.50, Mobil One for 26.50 at wal mart or the Honda or Toyota at about 30.00 at the dealer. I use PureOne Oil Filters. I traded a 2006 Accord in with 200000 miles on it that I ran Mobil One 5w20 8000 mile oil changes 0 problems. I want the best protection and best fuel economy.

well those are somewhat opposing goals.. The oil that will provide best MPG will not provide the best protection. However the engine will most likely outlast everything else with any modern oil.(thats changed regularly.)

0w20 oils I feel are top tier in no particular order and that I can find locally within a 5-10min drive.

M1, toyota, subaru, honda, redline,

other oils that are avail and would be ok if you can get a good deal on them. (ie qt)

O'riellys syn,valvoline,NAPA syn

This will vary by location.. also alot of the less known oils are really good such as Eneos,Motul, Elf

I live in your neck of the woods and 0W has given me the best mileage. You can usually get a great filter and 5 quarts of 0W-20 for $33 at Advanced Auto, AZ, Napa, Pep Boys or Oreilly's.

Quote:
I want the best protection and best fuel economy.

1. Sustina

2. Toyota

Both 0W-20.

When my CR-V gets a little closer to being due, I'll start looking a little harder for the Sustina. If I can get Sustina at a good price, I'll use that. Most likely, I'll use the Toyota.

Edited to add: My WM has PP 0W-20 but I want to see a solid PDS/UOA before I use it.

Last edited:
I changed gas brands and octane and my long term ave mileage went from 34.5 to 41.0. So fuel quality seems to be the big driver for economy. i Dont need the 0w (and its possible liabilities) in the warmer months, but some of us are "stuck" with it. BTW some guys are lovin' the new Kendall "Syn" with Ti.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
BTW some guys are lovin' the new Kendall "Syn" with Ti.

Im one of those guys
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
Mobil1 extended protection.

It's called Mobil1 Extended Performance. It's an oil designed for long term use.

Originally Posted By: Rand

well those are somewhat opposing goals.. The oil that will provide best MPG will not provide the best protection.

I have to say, I strongly disagree with that statement. How does an oil improve FE? Mostly by reducing friction. Friction, by definition, is a form of wear. I don't see how reducing friction is going to increase wear, and I'd love to hear the mechanism for this increased wear. It's certainly not "thicker film strength", since there's little indication that thicker oils actually have thicker films in use (and plenty of indications to the contrary).

As far as which oil, they'll all be fine in that engine, which is historically easy on oil. Personally, I'm using the Toyota 0W20 or the Honda/Idemitsu mainly because I think it may provide some increased benefits r.e. wear, but I'm also realistic that these gains are minimal. Mainly I use it because it means I don't have to give WM any of my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back