Optimum Mileage Between Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching here and other places I find recommended mileage for tire rotation anywhere from 3-10K miles with BMW saying to never rotate tires. Yikes!

I have been rotating tires on my 2010 Acura MDX every 5k. I wouldn't mind rotating them more often if it were beneficial to do so. Is it possible to rotate your tires too often? Is a 3k interval better than 5k? Thanks.

I've never used a set mileage interval for rotation. I find it easier to base it on relative wear, and rotate once a small difference in treadwear shows up between front and back.

With that said, I don't put a ton of mileage on my vehicles, so swapping my snow tires on in the fall and off in the spring usually rotates my tires by default.

On the first set of tires on our VUE, I did it every 6000 miles, rotating around all four corners. The crummy, stock Bridgestone Duelers wore out by 36000 miles, but all 4 tires were worn out equally.

On my Nissan, I've been doing front-to-back rotations every 7500 miles. The stock Continental ContiProContacts have 49000 miles on them and they're all worn evening, with lots of tread still left.

I don't think there's an "optimum" mileage. I believe the key is to get each tire in each location an equal amount.

BMW used to say every 3,000 miles to maintain good cornering but, that is costly so now they say NO rotation for maxi men handling. I personally just follow the manufactures recommendation unless I find it is too often or not often enough.

What flavour of BMW is it? They've got quite a few with staggered tire fitment which makes rotating a giant no-no. Even with the same size tires, rotating can be problematic as time in the back can impart a conicity to the tire making it want to turn in towards the center of the car instead of out. This doesn't play well on some models and can result is a sort of twitchy darty feel to the steering. If you know a good BMW guy (I only know one, and he isn't cheap) that can be dealt with but for the price, what are you really saving?

On the MDX, 5k to 8k is probably a good tire rotation interval. I'd go with 5k if you are doing it yourself or get it done at low cost. 8k is more appropriate if you're paying retail for the service or are using tires that you expect to last more than 75k miles. Although some AWD setups are much more tolerant, many AWD cars especially like having even tire wear and the MDXs (the older ones more so than yours) can behave very badly if you don't rotate.

For an extreme example from my personal experiences, but not my car: Cadillac SRX AWD, transfer case grenaded at just onder 30k miles. The warranty claim was denied as the cause of failure was deemed to be improper maintenance. The tires had been rotated once (at a Cadillac dealerhip, but not the selling dealer) at the first oil change and not at all after that.

Another extreme example, not me: A friend working at a Dodge dealership replaced a clutch on an AWD Stealth with a no-go problem. It still wouldn't go, but a 20 minute phone call with a Dodge engineer found the problem. Running too long on the original tires without rotating made them sufficiently uneven as to burn up the viscous coupling. Four tires and a viscous coupling on the owner's dime got it going like new.

Some people would say that if your tires are wearing conically, you need to adjust your camber. Others might say that if you can afford a BMW, then you can afford to follow their recommendations for maintenance. If you wanted a Lexus, you should have bought a Lexus.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the answer to my question? If rotating tires at 5k is good, is rotating at 3k better?

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the answer to my question? If rotating tires at 5k is good, is rotating at 3k better?

Law of diminishing returns applies here. It's better, but it gets costly really quick and the effect is not as great.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Law of diminishing returns applies here. It's better, but it gets costly really quick and the effect is not as great.

Since I do it myself and don't mind doing it, effort & cost are not factors. Sometimes it is just more convenient for me to do it at 4k instead of waiting. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing harm by rotating more often. I continue to research the web and there are alot of opinions on this issue. Guess there isn't any pat answer - all depends on your vehicle, driving habits and tires.

Last edited:
I own a 4wd Honda CRV and my tire rotation schedule is 5K. This includes the full size spare. This means that each tire would have occupied all 5 different locations by 30K. 4K rotations might be better, but tire wear benefits probably would be minimal and it's just too much work for me. I do this at home with nothing more than just one scissors jack. Anyway, according to Honda, the 4wd system is forgiving of tire circumference mismatch up to 2.5% difference.

Huge difference from car to car.

One car in my stable needs no rotation! Never has, wears all 4 tires as even as pie.

Another wears only the rears (guess which one) so it only gets about one rotation for the life of the tires. But tires rarely last 20k miles on this car.

Our fleet trucks have to have a rotation but rarely more than 2 across a 60k tire lifespan.

I can easily think of a TON of things that are way more important than frequent tire rotation. And it must be gauged against the lifespan of the tires. More often for soft quick wearing tires, less for long lasting ones with harder rubber formulas.

Never liked the handling just after a rotation. Look at the tread on your tires, sighting down from the top. If the shape of the tread on the fronts is more rounded than the rears ( due, of course to steering) you may not like the handling or feel either. I'd say either rotate before you notice the difference in shape, or be prepared to deal with the effects. Or, just check your pressuse often and leave them where they are.
That's what I do!
Good luck!
Eric

I rotate and BALANCE the tires on my BMW about every 6,000 miles. Current Michelin Exalto A/s v rated tires have 50,000 miles on them with at least 5/32 tread left.

Depends on the wear of the tire. In your shoes, I'd keep an eye on the wear starting at 3k.

I check mine periodically by running my hand over the outside edge of the front tires, both directions, and see how much the edges are feathered.

For both of our Jeeps (with Michelins) it's 10k for rotation, but we do a lot of highway driving.

I did have a Crown Vic with cheap tires, and had to rotate those every 3-4k as they wore like the dickens....so it's extremely variable based on tire quality and vehicle weight.

Last edited:
I rotate tires about every 25k miles on this truck. Will wind up as about [6] times per set over their service life. The treadwear is measured annually at [16] points per tire as a reference, and air pressure set according to load (weight scale values).

Some BMWs have different sized tires on the back so yes, you can't rotate them. Tires should be rotated every other oil change. That's usually around 6,000-8,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back