2 stroke scooter loses power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any 50cc scooter owners out there? I took out the scooter (2008 Keeway Hurricane)today from its long winter nap, cleaned the main carb jet, cleaned out the bowl and also replaced the spark plug. I took it for a 14 mile shake down ride. The engine runs fine off idle and when it first gets going (less than 1/2 throttle). When I open up the throttle, the engine bogs down. Loses power. It is a windy day here in MI, so coming back against the wind with my 250lbs and the wind was interesting with less power! The scooter has 6400 miles on it, I bought it new. I am thinking it is carb or ignition related. Not sure though.... I did replace the ignition a year or two ago since the spark plug boot would not stay on the end of the spark plug. It is 50 degrees outside today, the scooter likes the warmer weather better, but has never bogged down like this... Any ideas?

what kind of gas? you are using fresh winter gas? My 2stroke snow blowers wont even start below 50F unless they have winter gas in them.

Last edited:
Gas was just purchased last week, so yes, the gas is fresh. The scooter was drained of all gas when I put it away last fall.

So is it four stroking (sounds different?) Can you take the muffler off easily and make sure it isn't plugged?

Muffler is not plugged, it sounds normal. I just pulled the spark plug, the tip was white. That tells me fuel starvation. I have never changed out the fuel filter on this scooter, so I think I am going to pick up one of those to see if it helps. If not, I will open up the carb again and check the main jet. Here is a picture taken from my iPod of the sparkplug. I also posted this issue on a scooter forum:

49ccScoot.com

Fuel, for sure.
Carbs come lean, and any deposits cause them to go leaner. IT need a good cleaning of the passages and jets.
Possibly different ones, but this is for experts.

Also, a low float level can cause leanness [less head pressure].

If the carb was designed for pure gas, and you use E10, it will also be a little lean.

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
Muffler is not plugged, it sounds normal.

I'd still take a closer look at the exhaust, it's more likely to be a blocked exhaust than some other part mysteriously going wrong. Lay up over winter, over here I'd be looking at a mason bee nest in the exhaust....but they usually won't start in that case.

My modified scooter used to drain the carb's float bowl on fast rides. A quick pull over and shut down always fixed the problem.

Come to find out, the needle and seat were not able to flow fuel fast enough.

I'd check the filter, the gas cap and all the basics first, before you start looking for trouble elsewhere.

All the brands are made in 2 factories .The brand does not matter.You still have a high speed jet that is partly clogged, a sticking choke , or a damaged carb slide.
New carbs are $24 on ebay.

as was stated earlier these things are already leaned out for emissions.it takes very little buildup in the carb to cause driveability issues.
strip it again and soak in carb cleaner.make sure ALL the holes in the emulsion tube are open if it has one.thats the tube with all the tiny holes.all traces of varnish and dirt must be gone.
on something that small anything less than perfect will cause issues.they are not like your 300hp car with plenty of reserve.
i had about 10 years doing performance mods on small 2strokes on mopeds,scooters,ect.they are fussy.

I found my problem. The carb did not get seated fully in the intake pipe when I put the carb back in. The air leak that resulted gave me poor performance (lean) at higher speeds and/or 1/2 throttle or more. Runs like a top now!

It came out of the intake pipe when I moved it around to clean the carb. I was not paying attention when putting it back together. I dialed in the air/fuel screw and it came to life. I love that scooter. I take that thing everywhere. Holland is a smaller town (35k residents) so I can get all over the place without much drama. When the Astro stays in the garage it saves me a bunch, especially @ $4 per gallon.... That 'stro is a gas pig, only around 15 mpg.... The scooter gets a solid 75-85 mpg depending on how cold it is.

Bought the scooter in 2008 with my stimulus money from the govmt. Best $1200 I have ever spent. I researched scooters quite a bit, the Keeway Hurricane is built by QJ - one of the biggest scooter manufacturers in China. They make something like 500k scooters/motorcycles per year. They are considered by most as the best quality out of China. It was around half the cost of a Yamaha or Honda. My dutch gene could not pass up that difference.. It carries my 250lbs a solid 45 mph all day. 2 stroke is the only way to go - much more power than a 4 stroke of the same size....

I want to find another one, put a 70cc kit in it, and it will go a solid 65 mph with my 250lbs on it. I have a buddy that did that. My son will be taking this one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back