Honda civic wheel bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've determined that the front wheel bearing wheel in my 03 civic has gone bad, so I'm going to replace both.

What is the proven OEM replacement brand?

Prices vary from $16-65 per bearing.

From what I've gathered the "Timken" ($50) brand has high regards. The brand "GMB" has a lifetime warranty but cost only $17.

I've had bad luck with China crud parts in the past. I want to do this only once!

Last edited:
My advice is to use the Timken bearings. They are about the best bearings on the market and what I use in my own cars. GMB bearings may or may not be made in the USA and Timken bearings are.

Timken it is! Online part stores don't say where the bearing is made. I usually have to call and have the highschool kid open them up and check.

Autozone has them for $46 per.

Stay away from Chinese wheel bearings.They are sold for price only,not quality or reputation.

When i want the best I usually go with OE or SKF. Timken seem okay but aren't top of the line IMO. Since this is just a bearing cartridge and not a hub assembly, I'd bet the OE isn't much more than a few dollars more than Timken. I think Klarius QH might be OE and can be found for around $50.

Do you really need to replace both? Sometimes one will go out and the other will last many miles or never go out. And since changing the bearing shouldn't require a wheel alignment there's really no pressing need or advantage to replace both at the same time.

Well you probably don't want change your order now. I probably would've just bought one Klarius or one from a Honda parts store (probably the same product) and left the good OE bearing alone but the Timkens should be all right.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
When i want the best I usually go with OE or SKF. Timken seem okay but aren't top of the line IMO. Since this is just a bearing cartridge and not a hub assembly, I'd bet the OE isn't much more than a few dollars more than Timken. I think Klarius QH might be OE and can be found for around $50.

Do you really need to replace both? Sometimes one will go out and the other will last many miles or never go out. And since changing the bearing shouldn't require a wheel alignment there's really no pressing need or advantage to replace both at the same time.

My father and I will be doing the work. He demands that both be changed. Its not worth arguing with him and I use his garage for the work.

He made me do the same thing for another car I owned. Except I had to do both myself..... Easy job though, no press needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back