AAAKKK- Grunge in MC Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently cut open an MC FL784 filter that was used as a break-in filter for the overhaul of my Ford 6.9L diesel. Changed it in only a few hundred miles due to a leak (see nearby Cut Open post). To my surprise when I cut open the filter, I found an enormous amount of grunge. I would expect to find some, since it's an overhaul, however I took GREAT pains to be clean, even scrubbing the block and heads bit with hot water and soap, using bore brushes and such on the oil galleries..

"Well," I thought, "I musta missed something."

Upon closer inspection the brown stuff wasn't a solid, it was a paste, a goo that dissolved in brakecleen. It almost completely disappeared leaving some solid particulates and metal flakes. In the photo of the rag, you can see it and it includes what I washed off the filter element as well. My tentative conclusion is that the brown stuff was either something left over from the prelube I used or some sludge or other byproduct of some kind unknown to me. Whaddya think?

G-2.jpg

G-3.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is the left over debris magnetic?

Just a few bits... expected with an overhaul, maybe 10 visible pieces. There were a few small pieces of RTV and a few pieces of some hard, brittle stuff like plastic or carbon chunks, some fibers & some unidentifiable stuff. You need a magnifier to see most of it.

Could it have been globs of emulsified oil from water that had absorbed into the block and got cooked out? Cast iron is porous, and you did use water to clean it??

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Could it have been globs of emulsified oil from water that had absorbed into the block and got cooked out? Cast iron is porous, and you did use water to clean it??

Good thought! It was thoroughly dry and about 4 months between the time I washed it and assembled it but there is also condensation to consider. Soon as I sprayed brakeleen in there it just kinda melted away, leaving the other stuff.

Quote:
The filter did its job don't worry about it.

Amen, brutha!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
assembly lube (paste) from the cam?

Good thought. I used RP's Max-Tuff throughout.. It's a viscous, hi-ZDDP liquid (not sure what the cSt is but it seems about like 90 grade). Cam is a roller type and I reused the original parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back