10W-30 synthetic in place of SAE 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: 3311
I'm using a 50/50 mix of Supertech 5w20 and Supertech 15w40. Gives me a very cheap but stout(thickish and boosted add pack) 10w30. I'm just getting to cheap to run a synthetic for only about 50 hours.
Are these not dino oils beiinge mixed together ?
How do you feel this "mix" performs - better than a direct 10W-30 out of the bottle ?
Are you seeing better cold starts and better fuel economy ?
Yes they are both dino oils form WM I'm mixing. I'm mixing it because it will give me a bit stronger add pack than just using a 10w30 pcmo. It's only $2.50ish a quart. A 10w30 hdeo like Rotella t5 would be best IMO but its $16 a gallon.

I have not paid any attention to economy but the Honda pulls much easier that the 15w40 Delo I was using. The Bobcat turns over about the same. The oil looks good when I change it. No visible flakes or anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fpracha
I'm using a 50/50 mix of Supertech 5w20 and Supertech 15w40. Gives me a very cheap but stout(thickish and boosted add pack) 10w30. I'm just getting to cheap to run a synthetic for only about 50 hours.
Are these not dino oils beiinge mixed together ?
How do you feel this "mix" performs - better than a direct 10W-30 out of the bottle ?
Are you seeing better cold starts and better fuel economy ?
Yes they are both dino oils form WM I'm mixing. I'm mixing it because it will give me a bit stronger add pack than just using a 10w30 pcmo. It's only $2.50ish a quart. A 10w30 hdeo like Rotella t5 would be best IMO but its $16 a gallon.

I have not paid any attention to economy but the Honda pulls much easier that the 15w40 Delo I was using. The Bobcat turns over about the same. The oil looks good when I change it. No visible flakes or anything.
Thanks so much for the feedback! This is exactly what I will soon be doing, as till now I have been using 15w-40 myself... Mainly for the stronger add pack of the 15w-40 grade.

You need syn oil in OPE about as bad as you need an extra hole in your head.... just ask my fleet that have only been fed (dino) sae30, and never an oil/lube related issue, not one. Most commercial people that ive talked to that have went syn have gained nothing but consuption issues. And have since returned to (dino).

I've always used SAE 30 in the lawn equipment, but last summer I stepped up to a Z950A John Deere with a 31HP V-twin Kawi. I replaced the break-in oil with the recommended "Turf Guard" 10w30 after 12 hours, and will probably run that for most of this summer. After that...I'm thinking a 10w30 HDEO will get the nod.

JD recommends 10w30, but the manual also says SAE 30, SAE 40, and 10w40 are acceptable depending on the ambient temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back