Honda GCV160 oil draining proceedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Get an elastic band and a nice thick zip lok bag and remove the dipstick, place bag over filler neck, then elastic the bag good and tight around the neck, and tip the mower on its side. This will let you empty the oil without having to do the one hand on mower one hand holding catch can dance. You know the dance...

Thats a good idea.

Yeah, all of my B&S/Tecumseh had drain plugs on the bottem for draining oil and my Honda's did not. Had to drain the Honda's from where you add oil.

I like the 'small engine model' of the vacuum oil extractor I got at Lowes, ~ $25.00. Nice leather seals, it really is so easy and no chance of spills. I can hold several OC in it's tank for emptying later to recycling. No tipping or lifting the mower, no sweat!

"LiquiVac model 2005"

My Toro mower with a Tecumseh something-or-other also has no drain plug. Owner's manual says to tip it over...done that for 4 years now with no problem.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Get an elastic band and a nice thick zip lok bag and remove the dipstick, place bag over filler neck, then elastic the bag good and tight around the neck, and tip the mower on its side. This will let you empty the oil without having to do the one hand on mower one hand holding catch can dance. You know the dance...

Thats a good idea.

You have absolutely got to be kidding----complex solution for an easy (non) problem---eh

Oil extractor is cheap simple solution I've been using for years. Works great removing clutch, PS, brake , tranny , diff and any other fluid. I can suck the oil out of my 160 quicker then you can get a pan and tilt yours sideways.

I have to do same on my Honda GC160 equiped generic pressure washer and B&S 190cc Toro lawnmower.

It is PITA to do, but I change oil in mower 3x a year that way.

I've never dried out the carb in mine to change the oil, either. Never had any problems starting it afterwards. If you tip it carb side down though, it will smoke a lot afterwards, I know this from experience de-clogging the chute.

I changed the oil last weekend after doing the first mow of the season, comes right out when the engine is hot. Filled it up with some SM PYB 10w30 that came with my girlfriend when she moved in. Mine takes about 15oz to fill up to the top mark on the dipstick.

The only time I ever have problems starting it is when the gas in it is stale. Shot of ether cures that right away.

How complex is a ziplock and a rubber band?

Originally Posted By: steve20

You have absolutely got to be kidding----complex solution for an easy (non) problem---eh

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Thats a good idea.

You think putting a bag around the filler neck is a complex solution?? Wow how do you get through the day with that mindset? Everything simple must seem complex to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back