Nissan Titan OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 'new to me' nissan titan. It has 88k on it and i was thinking of switching to sythetic. Bad idea? What about the high mileage sythetics? I was ultimately thinking of mobil 1 5w30 with mobil 1 filters. Any input such as change intervals, first chages etc. is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the engine look through the oil fill hole? If clean, then I would go with M1 5-30 as you said, and expect 10K OCIs if you are running average mileage.

welcome2.gif

We need to know more about your driving conditions and how will the truck be used before we can come up with anything that I'd trust.

More info please and we will go from there.

Bill

I just got a new to me 2011 versa. Its has just about 32,000km on it. At the dealer they did a bunch of fluids including the oil. According to the sticker it was 150 km on the oil so i didnt touch it yet. My dealer loves the mobil 1 line and they put dino mobil in it or at best a blend. Im going to put mobil 1 5w30 full syn in it when the 6000km are up and im doing the 6000km oci cause it is still under warranty.

I figure if i use the same stuff as the dealer i should not have a concern. Plus i love the mobil products. Big supporter.

Now for the filter that is the question you need to ask. The nissan ones have cardboard in them so if you dont like fram you wont like these. I think for a 6000km oci like what im going to do a nissan or fram filter would never have a problem but im thinking about wix for my car or the nissan one which is fine for alot of cars on the road. If it wasnt a warranty thing and im not really concerned about price i would go for a mobil 1 ep filter like the one that is currently working great on my truck. No start up noise and oil pressure within 1 second of starting verified by mechanical aftermarket Oil Pressure guage.

If your scared of running syn in a new engine dont be but just make sure you need syn for your driving habbits and routes. You might just be throwing money down the drain when you dont have to.

I dont know if you have but take a few to go through some of the current to older posts and check over UOA's for your perticular vehicles and then you can get some data to help you become OCD in a shorter time. But seriously take some time and read up cause most of your questions will have been answered a long time ago not needing to be brought up to much so it wont be in current threads if you know what i mean.

I spent 6 months reading before i even signed up it gets addictive. welcome by the way and there are a ton of good people on here with a ton of different personalities.

Nissan Titan....
20.gif

Mobil One is a fine oil, I am more of a fan of SOPUS oils (Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State synthetics). Being of dutch decent, Mobil One just plain costs to much. IMO Pennzoil Platinum is one of the best oils you can buy at a reasonable price. Your results may very, but I have been very happy with it. It will be fine in that 5.6 liter V-8. I would not run a high mileage oil, but that is just me. 88k to me is not high mileage.

The only way to really know how your engine likes a given oil or oil change interval is to get an oil analysis done. I think it is money well spent. Once you figure out what works and how long to keep it in there, you don't need to do the analysis' anymore. I like getting the analysis done, just to see what is going on in the motor. I keep my vehicles a long time, and want to stay on top of issues.

Oh and
welcome2.gif

My wife has a 2011 Titan, according to the manual, and the dealership, 3500 oci's are recommended.

I've switched several vehicles to synthetic, with up to 110k miles. You may see a little seepage around the seals at first, but if your truck is like mine were, the seepage should stop within about 1500 miles.

I've run my wifes 10 Armada (same drive train as Titan) with M1 5-30 using Pur 1 filter. 27k on it now. Running 6k OCI and recently sent a sample from last oil change to Blackstone w TBN. My numbers were great and the TBN was way hi,
blush.gif
blush.gif
so. I'm keeping to it as I'll pay that price for a 6k OCI and sleep well at night.

My thoughts on it anyway. Great engine and trans.

No seepage and not burning any.

Mobil 1 5w30 will likely work great! There is probably no need for a high mileage variant unless you notice any issues with the synthetic.

Depending on how the engine has been treated in the past (services), with the good oil and a good filter (maybe Pure One), I'd go for the less severe Nissan recommendation, 6 months or 7000 miles or so, isn't that the recommendation?

If I didn't know the history of the truck, I might do a couple changes at first at 3,000 mile intervals and then switch to the higher interval.

Those are great trucks. Enjoy it!

Its a daily driver but not really, i drive to work once a week. 3 on 4 off schedule, abot 100 miles Round trip. A few short trips around town so general use. I do plan on towing in a few years when i get a toy hauler but im not going to want to change oil types I live in the high desert so i have temps in the 30's consistently in the morning and highs into the 100's in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firegugg
Its a daily driver but not really, i drive to work once a week. 3 on 4 off schedule, abot 100 miles Round trip. A few short trips around town so general use. I do plan on towing in a few years when i get a toy hauler but im not going to want to change oil types I live in the high desert so i have temps in the 30's consistently in the morning and highs into the 100's in the summer.

Okay great info!

Any 5w-30 (or 10w-30 if you'd like) API rated oil in the SM/SN will do you fine for whatever your manual suggests. You do not NEED syn or HM oil. 88k is nothing.

Personally I'd run something like QS/Pennzoil/Mobil 5000/Valvoline conventional around 5k or 6 months. Don't be worried about living in the desert as that is easy on the engine. Cold (and I mean BELOW ZERO) is much more of an concern over heat as far as wear.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back