2006 Audi A4 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I have a 2006 Audi A4 with the 2.0T FSI with 74,000 miles
2. VW-502
3. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan
4. I drive pretty easy but I am known to get in it every once in a while.
5. Daily I drive 2 miles to work and then 2 miles home. About once every two weeks I make a 100+ mile drive.
6. This engine is known to have problems with the cam follower however I have not had any issues related to it yet.

I was wondering what the best oil for my situation would be. I know this engine is pretty rough on oil so I plan on changing it every 5,000 miles regardless of what I go with. I would like to stay with VW 502 oil just because it makes me less nervous. I know that other oils may work in it just fine, however I am just more comfortable staying with the 502 because of the warranty on the cam follower. That would be a pricey repair and it hate to not be covered because my oil choice.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the gold standard for Euro spec 40W engine oils... A load of engine approvals (VW 502 included) and readily available. Can't go wrong... There are others as well and I'm sure you'll get a hundred answers.

Edit: You take extremely short trips to and from work, a 5k mile OCI is probably where you want to be at honestly. Short trips like that is VERY hard on your engine oil.

Last edited:
Also run some PEA cleaner through a couple of tanks before your oil change. Drive your normal pattern for maximum effect.

Then consider using Chevron or doing maintenance dosing. Or to keep it simple, you can do it twice or three times a year.

Bad news for 2.0 FSI fuel pump/cam/follower. The local independent VW shop has a scrap bin full of cams and followers from the 2.0 FSI motor. I am thinking there is a SERIOUS design flaw as I checked the follower at 90K and it was concave and the cam already showing damage. According to the VW bulletin re: extended warranty - wait until check engine light comes on (indication of low fuel pressure). Since I didn't want to pay for towing from the Arizona or California desert I checked mine early. Local dealer told it was "normal wear for 90k mi." Had to pay out of pocket at independent shop $1550.00.

M1 0W-40 is what I'm using currently. Just wondering if there was anything better. This may sound dumb but what is PEA cleaner? Also on the cam follower I talked to Audi of America and they said I'm covered until 2015 and 130k on the cam follower. Even if it fails they said they will replace the follower, intake cam, and HPFP. Its an extended warranty they apply to certain vehicles apparently.

Last edited:
Techron Fuel System Concentrate, Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner or High Mileage or All In One

Add to your list other popular VW502 approved oils:

PU Euro 5W40
Castrol Syntec 0W-30 ( aka German Castrol)
Kendall 5W40 Euro

For a complete list google VW 502 00

Has anybody mentioned timing belt/major service? Its prime time for one. We do them for around 1300-1500. Necessary replacement, mine stripped 8 teeth on my 97 and cost around 4k to do. I was at 64k. Every oil mentioned would work best, probably the Ow40 since you probably see some cold temps. Anything thats 502 and readily available works best.

I was planning to do the belt before 100K but am probably going to do it sooner now. Back to the oil... a lot of people say use any 502 oil but is there any oil from that bunch that seems to excel. I used PU in my last car and really liked it. Is the euro formula just as good? I'm just not sure about the M1, that's what I have in it now and it sounds pretty harsh starting when cold.

Originally Posted By: MattMartin
I was planning to do the belt before 100K but am probably going to do it sooner now. Back to the oil... a lot of people say use any 502 oil but is there any oil from that bunch that seems to excel. I used PU in my last car and really liked it. Is the euro formula just as good? I'm just not sure about the M1, that's what I have in it now and it sounds pretty harsh starting when cold.

There are plenty of oils that perform well in that engine, M1 0-40 included. Like I said before, it really is the gold standard of Euro 40W oils. The Pennz Ultra 5W-40 does look quite impressive on paper and arguably is M1's biggest competition. I am currently using the PU in my 911 which was factory filled with M1 0W-40 and used exclusively till about 2 months ago
smile.gif

There are some interesting European brand oils that would be suited for your car like Motul and Total.

I know there are some euro ones that are crazy expensive. I was just wondering because I have heard some people claim the M1 breaks down pretty quickly. I was just trying to find the best between PU euro, amsoil euro, M1, and german castrol.

Originally Posted By: MattMartin
I know there are some euro ones that are crazy expensive. I was just wondering because I have heard some people claim the M1 breaks down pretty quickly. I was just trying to find the best between PU euro, amsoil euro, M1, and german castrol.

I'm bias to SOPUS products so PU would be my pick at the end of the day but that aside, all of the oils you listed are very good and can't go wrong with nay of them.

I doubt it, alot of RS4 owners are seeing major accumulation even under warranty. Some even under 30k. If theres no way to introduce a solvent into the manifold to directly attack the carbon, take it off and clean it.

I would also replace the cam follower and do it frequently as a normal preventive maintenance item. It's cheaper than letting it wear out and destroying the hpfp pump and camshaft. I replaced the one on my friend's 07 GTI at about 50k and it was already fairly worn despite 5-6k oil changes on M1 0w-40 or Castrol Syntec 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back