Redline 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
E65491.jpg

^I should have clarified, for folks that choose to use a 20 in the winter that normally run with 30 during the summer.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nothing really wrong with the UOA.
But if you're looking for a light 0W-20 oil for the winter the RL oil which in reality is a light 30wt is the wrong grade.

Thanks for clarifying, didn't even notice the viscosity.

...and actually I'd say it's probably about as much as would be needed before a potential decline. Not sure if soluble moly past a point would hurt, might depend on the engine design. This amount isn't that point, IMO...probably more of an issue if severely OD'ing on MoS2 additives.

I disagree with Caterham's characterization of this oil as "too thick for winter use", the pour point is -76! So what if the HTHS is a bit higher than the vaunted Toyota 0w20, I for one don't care a bit...

I ran the Redline 0w30 for 2 winters,never had any issues,so running the 0w20 I'm sure wouldnt hurt anything in the cold winter months either. Temps got down to as low as -20 degrees F. at night,with highs in the single digits during the day.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I disagree with Caterham's characterization of this oil as "too thick for winter use", the pour point is -76! So what if the HTHS is a bit higher than the vaunted Toyota 0w20, I for one don't care a bit...

He's OCD man, too thick for 'ideal' winter use 'maybe' compared to the 'most uber light oil available'.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem with these 0w-TWENTY oils in the winter.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Izb
Is so high level of Moly - dangerous?

Probably not but I do not think you need that much moly...

Nothing "dangerous" at all with the RL moly level, in fact the Idemitsu 0W-20 that's made for Honda/Acura Canada, Mazda USA and Subaru USA has 1,000 ppm of moly.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

You should read what I said more closely because I never said RL 0W-20 was "too thick for winter use". What I said was, " if your looking for a light 0W-20 for winter the RL oil which is really a light 30wt is the wrong grade".

The PP is a totally useless spec' in a finished oil and is quite misleading which is why the extreme cold CCS and MRV spec's were developed.

RL 0W-20 has a MRV of 27,000cP which is worse than most if not all 0W-30 oils let alone all 0W-20 oils. By comparison M1 AFE 0W-30 has a MRV at -40 degrees of 13,200cP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back