Schaeffer's 10w30 SynBlend,16,927 miles on oil, 2005 Chevy Aveo, 1.6 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive about 60k per year. 90% highway driving.
Schaeffer's 10W30 SYN BLEND 7000.
Oil had 16,927 miles when last changed.This is the second Analysis done at Schaeffer's oil Lab. Mixture of Summer and Winter driving. This 2005 Chevy Aveo with 1.6 ltr engine has 57,761 miles. Two PureOne oil filters were used, second PureOne changed half way thru oil change with no make up oil was added. Air filter {Fram}was changed at 5000 miles into this oil change. Air filter now has about 12K miles on it. Oldest report is on left - newest on right.
code:

Miles on unit 40,480----57,761

Miles on oil 15,400----16,927

Wear Metals PPM

===================================

Copper 13---- 10 normal 0 - 40 ppm

Iron 29----- 99 normal 0 - 100 ppm

Chromium 2----- 4 normal 0 - 40 ppm

Aluminum 7---- 10 normal 0 - 40 ppm

Lead 2----- 3 normal 0 - 50 ppm

Additives PPM

Molybdenum 324----- 345 normal

Phosphorus 1005----1079 normal

Zinc 1167----- 1236 normal

Magnesium 10------ 16 normal

Calcium 3061----- 3232 normal

Contaminants

% antifreeze 0---- 0 normal

Fuel Dilution N---- N normal

% H20 .0------- .0 normal

Silicon 19--- 24 normal / Abnormal

Oil Properties

====================================

Viscosity 9.70---- 10.26 normal for 30W 9.30 - 12.49

SAE ISO 30 W 30 W normal

Sulfur 7---- 23 normal

Oxidation 12---- 27 normal

Nitration 30---- 41 normal

====================================
Silicon {Dirt, sand} High. Oil should be changed. Resample at normal interval to establish trends.

[ January 13, 2006, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Kevin, I salute you!
patriot.gif
The 15K run looks pretty good, the almost 17K run seems to have been sabotaged by dirt. You might look for an air leak around or downstream of the air filter.

Glad to see I'm not the only person to run Schaeffer 7000 for 15K miles! And from your report, looks like Scheaffer has really boosted their Moly content since I last checked on it.

While many of us appreciate seeing long drain intervals bc of our nature....I think you are making a huge mistake with respect to engine life/reliability/cleanliness. Not knocking you though.
cheers.gif

IMO that UOA is excellent. The Si is not bad at all for the miles. I have been doing UOA for over 10 years and an Si under 10 is almost impossible for me yet have never lost an engine to were as yet. Take the UOA results with a grain of salt and always look at the wear numbers in PPM per 1000 miles. Si is an absolute but 19 is not bad for your mileage on the oil. My last one on my daughters car at 15600 miles had 109 PPM of Si, of course we had a valve cover gasket replaced in that period which caused that. A trend is really what you are looking for on any engine and one UOA could just be a variant etc. Unless sludged up few engines die from extended drain intervals.

60k yr? so this is about a three month oci for you. isn't this a daewoo engine? glad this one isn't a GM coolant leaker. thanks for posting
cheers.gif

Assuming you change your oil every 3K like good boys and girls do, you would have to change it every 18 days! Extending it to 90 day and using Schaeffer's makes sense to me. If about a third of the Silicon came from the virgin oil then it seems you have less to worry about considering the 17K on the oil.

Note that the older Schaeffer's 10w-30 showed around 9 ppm Silicon from VOA. Don't know about the new formula. Considering OCI, the oil did great. My guess is that if you got a TBN you would realize that the oil is shot. I would not run it this long.

We have boosted our moly.
This report looks real good. Seems odd that the iron would jump that much from one interval to the next. I,d consider pulling a 7k sample next time. pm am me and I'll send ya a kit.

Mark

The iron is on a very poor trend. Would a TBN help show why the iron is going up? What I see is the engine falling apart.

Mark, did they increase the moly in #9000 as well? If so, when?

Thanks..

I work 110 miles from home, so that is why I put over 60k a year on it...and with the boys driving it on weekends it can go over that. It is a Daewoo engine. With luck it will not be a coolant leaker! I changed the Air Filter in the OCI and belive that is where some of the silicon might of came from. I also change the oil filter at about 7K and no oil was added. So there was no vigin oil added in the 16,927 miles of running. This time I will change oil filter every 5K and add oil as needed. It holds less than 4 qt's so was no need to add. On the present oil change it was filled to the full line and will keep it there when the filters are changed. Thanks for the reply's, Kev

This is the first UOA I've ever read where a gas engine actually reached the condemnation limit for a *metal* wear element.
Wow.
Barring the iron, not at all a bad showing for 15K.
A wonderful showing for Schaeffers. The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to just order Schaeffer's and stretch my intervals way out. What is Schaeffer's reccomending nowadays? I'm sure the iron is just one of those things like GM engines, where even good ones kick off a given PPM per 1000 miles. Actually, you're only giving off about 7 PPM of iron per 1,000 miles.

Tomjones
quote:

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to just order Schaeffer's and stretch my intervals way out. What is Schaeffer's reccomending nowadays?

Depends on vehicle , conditions, etc. Average driving 8-12k. Highway 10-15k. Some are going out 20k. Short trip driving 6k is comfortable for most.

Silicon definitely came in when air filter was changed. Try to change your air filter a day or two before changing oil, that way any contamination gets dumped when you change the oil out. Might want to take your sample before you do so.

"Try to change your air filter a day or two before changing oil, that way any contamination gets dumped when you change the oil out. Might want to take your sample before you do so."

Smart idea Strjock81!

Here is an update on the Aveo. I had 200k on the car as of 3-30-08. It still had a good oil analysis report on the last OCI at 197K. Was going to put on another timing belt and go again. The dealership said at this mileage I should have the timing belt, pulley's, water pump change also. It needed new tires too. The gas mileage was going down to around 27-29 mpg too. With all of the repairs needed and new tires the cost was going to be over $1200. With as many miles I put on it each year I just bought a new car. This time I went with a Cobalt. Bought it in April of 08. This 2.2 engine doesn't have the rubber timing belt, so the cost to operate will be cheaper. I have 70K on this one now and the oil analysis is good. This car has more power and I believe that is why the gas mileage is better over the Aveo. I avg around a steady 34 driving heavy driving. If I go to grandma mode I can bring it up to a steady 36 to 37 MPG. I believe in Schaeffer oil. I only do an oil analysis every other oil change now. OCI is still around 10 to 12K on them. After the car runs over 100k I will go back to an oil analysis every OCI. Going for 300K on this car. Thanks.

Last edited:
Awesome to hear an update! Any chance of you posting some of those UOA's? Are you still usig the 7000 series syn-blend?

BTW, good choice on the Cobalt - I think they are a great value in a car, and very long-lasting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back