Oil Life monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dielectric sensor is also used in the Lubricheck which was hammered pretty hard under the "original name".

I don't see anyone hammering Mercedes for a built in version of the same sensor.

I have two Chevrolets that have the oil life monitoring system. Most of my driving is short trips around town so I change the oil on a time basis, not what the OLM says. Maybe I'm from the old school, but I've never had an oil related problem with an engine. Oil and filters are relatively cheap and I change my own oil so that's what I do.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
The GM's OLM works like this. It starts at some maximum value, say 15,000 miles. It basically uses total RPMs to subtract from this value. When you think of it, it makes sense that oil life would depend on total RPMs (wear should also be related to this). Additionally, it uses engine temperature to subtract more value, meaning RPM's while the engine is cold subtract more.

What this does is several things. First, city mileage (where RPMs are higher due to stopping and accelerating) subtract more than highway mileage (where RPMs are lower per mile driven). Secondly, a lot of short trips, where engine doesn't fully warm up, will subtract more.

GM has shown this to be a good system when using UOAs. They even update the program when they learn more through in-service experience. For example, the 1997 Corvette started at 10,000 miles maximum, later they changed it to 15,000 miles. Also GM decreased the maximum on their 3.6 Direct Injection engines.

It also subtracts for use, ie towing, idling, or in the case of a Corvette heavy track use. Two trucks driving side by side, but one is pulling a 5k pound trailer, that trucks OLM will count down faster.

I have heard of it calling for changes in Corvettes at around 1k miles if they are tracked.

Last edited:
I haven't done a timing chain on the 3.6L that was customer pay, always warranty. We also have to factor in that on most of those vehicles, they are getting lube shop specials with some bulk oil, probably not the best for following the OLM. I follow the service indicators on my BMW and Silverado with no issues but, I do mostly highway driving and use synthetic in both. Not to change the subject but, the 3.6L engines have a TSB for aftermarket oil filters imploding and ruining the engine. I've personally done one with a Service Champ filter. (only applies to the Traverse/Acadia I think)

Toyoya oil life monitors count 5000 miles. At 4500 the light flashes at start up and at 5000 it stays illuminated. Just enough to get Mom & the kids annoyed so they tell me the light is on. Not sure how the Honda one works.

Last edited:
For those poor folks who "just don't trust that OLM":

We run our fleet on the OLM exclusively since 2004!

We've gone as low as 4000 miles and as long as 14000, depending on duty cycles. GM's is extremely versatile, and obviously works well for us, as we have trucks in daily service with up to 400k miles.

As for anything DI, we are not a fan, but simple programming changes are quickly correcting the issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brettm1388
timing chain on the 3.6L

Wasnt a large part of the problem due to (acceptable) consumption of oil throughout the OCI causing low levels and owners of the vehicle not keeping at the appropriate level? Maybe it was easier to tweak OLM then expect "average everyday people" to check their oil regularly.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

As for anything DI, we are not a fan, but simple programming changes are quickly correcting the issues.

That's my point, what about car owners who drove/owned their cars a long time before anyone realized a correction was needed? Owners who logged 20K before the GM realized a reprogram was needed, not too bad, 50K a little worse, 75K even worse........I'll stick to the tried and true SS interval I do. Oil and filters are still cheap enough for me to do an extra oil change or two each year.

As a side note, does anyone trust a mfg that says ATF is good for the life of the car? I doubt it if they're members here. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's my point, what about car owners who drove/owned their cars a long time before anyone realized a correction was needed?
Owners who logged 20K before the GM realized a reprogram was needed, not too bad, 50K a little worse, 75K even worse........I'll stick to the tried and true SS interval I do. Oil and filters are still cheap enough for me to do an extra oil change or two each year.

As a side note, does anyone trust a mfg that says ATF is good for the life of the car? I doubt it if they're members here. JMO

But on the other hand you can't condemn the OLM because of one instance. How about all the other multiple GM models that are running many thousands of miles just fine using the OLM?
I still think the change of the OLM on the DI engines is NOT a flaw in the OLM but an attempt to put a band-aide on a design problem.

Don't MOST mfgs say AFT is good for the life of the vehicle - or at least some insane mileage like 150K miles?
Correction: I just looked at the manual for my 05 Trailblazer - it states 100K miles of "normal" use or 50K miles for "severe" use. For the Mercury Ford says 150K miles for "normal" use or 30K miles for "special operating conditions."

Depending on the vehicle and circumstances I aim for 30K - 50K miles to change the tranny fluid and filter.

Last edited:

That's my point, what about car owners who drove/owned their cars a long time before anyone realized a correction was needed? Owners who logged 20K before the GM realized a reprogram was needed, not too bad, 50K a little worse, 75K even worse........I'll stick to the tried and true SS interval I do. Oil and filters are still cheap enough for me to do an extra oil change or two each year.

No problem here. I am the first one to tell you that I support your right to do whatever you want with your car. And prior to OLM on our fleet trucks we changed the oil MONTHLY, based on oil analysis. So I would also agree that oil is cheap compared to new engines!

Frankly my extensive dealer network has still been unable to find any significant numbers for the GM DI engines that indicate anything bad happening. The OVERWHELMING majority of them are running fine and not claiming any damages. But I remain skeptical based on what I've seen here.

No problem here. I am the first one to tell you that I support your right to do whatever you want with your car. And prior to OLM on our fleet trucks we changed the oil MONTHLY, based on oil analysis. So I would also agree that oil is cheap compared to new engines!

Frankly my extensive dealer network has still been unable to find any significant numbers for the GM DI engines that indicate anything bad happening. The OVERWHELMING majority of them are running fine and not claiming any damages. But I remain skeptical based on what I've seen here.

No problem here either buddy! According to a few mechanic friends they aren't seeing any new DI engines in the shop yet, but the older ones they've seen have power loss and poor idle complaints. Too soon to tell with the newer ones.

I do agree with the statement that reprogramming the OLM for DI engines is a band-aid and nothing more, and the system can't be blamed for engine design problems. My point in all of this is many times the consumer finds out after the fact, and after unnecessary wear or possible damage was already done. Sorry guys I don't think the system is fool proof, and don't trust it. I'd rather stick to my routine, and then if a problem arises, and a shorter OCI is needed I'll feel all warm and fuzzy. Then be glad I didn't second guess myself. But as always to each his own. JMO

If I were in the market for a new car and was considering a GM product - I would look at it as GM warranties the powertrain for 5 years or 100,000 miles. By the time either limit is met surely one would know if there were any problems with the engine - in which case it would be GM's problem!

That is assuming of course that GM would stand behind their warranty.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Additionally, it uses engine temperature to subtract more value, meaning RPM's while the engine is cold subtract more.

Can someone help me understand this. Is hard on the oil life? I was just thinking it would be hard on the wear parts due to the characteristics of cold oil. So much wear that it shortens filter life?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back