2011 honda cr-v. Oil confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have just bought a 2011 honda cr-v which uses 0w20. Iam a honda guy with bikes, mowers and cars so I want this thing to last. Now should I stay with the genuine honda oil which is a bulk petro Canada synthetic oil or is there something better I can use. Also my mower and pressure washer (Hondas) use 10w30 mineral oil. Can I use synthetic or should I stick with fossil.

The Honda synthetic 0w20 is actually a very good oil. There are other 0w20s that are synthetic blends if you're looking to save money. IIRC Honda does not require synthetic like certain German manufacturers do.

Any off-the-shelf 0W-20 oil will be fine. If you're not all that concerned with warranty issues, a mineral (or synthetic) 5W-20 oil would also work very nicely. In your climate, I'd think a 0W-20 would be perfect. Heck, even I run it (0W-20), down in North Carolina. I use Mobil 1 0W-20, only because it's relatively cheap and widely available down here.

Don't diss PetroCan oil base for they are way superior than most domestic (NA) offerings.

Also: in order to achieve 0W20, it's deemed impossible to do so w/o the use of syn base oil in the blend. In other words: 0W20 is at least semi-syn or full-syn.

I'd be more worried about your vehicle rusting away than engine going bye-bye because of your oil.

Q.

Ebejer078,

Since your a Honda guy, you know how well made their products usually are and they will last the test of time. I too have had many Honda products, mainly cars but, small engine equipment as well.

Starting with your CR-V...Stay with what the owners manual call for during the warranty period. I guess any 0W20 or 5W20 will be suitible and there are some good oils on the market that will satisfy the needs of the engine. I don't know if there is one oil that is better or equal to the "NEW" Honda synthetic oil but, there certainly are some good ones on the shelves that meet Honda's specification and may in turn be even better than Honda's Oil. I would and do, buy by price. I prefer not to pay dealer prices.

Also, these CR-V/Accord engines are some of the smoothest, lowest wearing engines in the industry. See the Used Oil Analysis(UOA) section. I'm sure that the engine in your CR-V will outlast the rest of the vehicle if you only used conventional oil. That's just the way they are!

For your small equipment(mower & pressure washer)...What! No Honda snowblower in Toronto?
smile.gif
I have only used(many folks call it) mineral/conventional/dino/fossil - oil in small engines, Honda's or otherwise(B&S/Tecumseh). And yes, you can use synthetic oil in them. To me though, it's not economical, as engine lubracation has never been "my" issue with small engines. It was everything else that failed over the years(just like in my cars).

Last edited:
The K24 is the CRV is a bulletproof engine. 7500 miles on really whatever xw-20 oil you want. The engine will outlast the car.

Originally Posted By: Ebejer078
But how about all other fluids. Should I stick with the honda stuff?

Is your CR-V AWD?

Well, it's good to see that your concerned about maintenance. During the warranty period, use Hond's fluids. But, after that time, there are some very good ATF's, differential and TC fluids that are suitable for your CR-V(if suitable is acceptable to you). You can't go wrong with Honda's fluids, you'll just pay more! Eduaction is your best tool in this(FLUID) area!

And you must use Honda Power Steering Fluid in a Honda vehicle. I have found "Honda" Type P/S fluid in auto parts stores and have used them with good success but, most folks should stay with the Honda P/S fluid as it does better in the very, very cold temps better than the after market Honda P/S fluid.

FYI, Honda has two 0W-20s, a blend (part#-9036) and a full syn (part#-9037). Interestingly, the VOAs are nearly identical with the one important exception being a higher TBN for the full syn to the tune of 13%. Honda fours (and or their owners) seem to be really easy on oil so I'd stay with Honda products during the warranty period, run the blend up to 7500 miles (which should be close to 15% on your MM) and go to the full syn if you want to extend to 10,000 mi and beyond.

Last edited:
like others have said the CRV is a solid ride for sure. I have been using M1 0-20 in mine in the winter and 5-20 pp in the summer. I would say run whatever you have easy access to that does not break the bank. looking at the posts so far you have gotten some excellent advice. enjoy your ride, I have been happy with my 09.

Last edited:
I'm a Honda guy as well. I leased an 08 CRV EX AWD and I ran the cheapest oil I could find in it. That K24 never missed a beat. I feel like I've cheated on my favourite car company by purchasing a new 2011 Toyota RAV4. I find the 2.5 in the Toyota even smoother than the K24, but that's another story...

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
I'm a Honda guy as well. I leased an 08 CRV EX AWD and I ran the cheapest oil I could find in it. That K24 never missed a beat. I feel like I've cheated on my favourite car company by purchasing a new 2011 Toyota RAV4. I find the 2.5 in the Toyota even smoother than the K24, but that's another story...

WOW, that 2.5L has to be quite smooth! I felt that Toyota's 2.4L was quite smooth but, not as smooth as Honda's 2.4L.
I almost don't see the need for V6's these days unless we're just pulling too much weight. I have driven many 4 cyl's that I actually liked as much as the company's V6 option. Not for raw power[the 4cyl], just for it's useable everyday type power(more than enough!)

Availability and price has M1 0w-20 in my '10 CR-V. I would be open to trying other brands, but I've never even seen 0W-20 QSUD or PP on the shelf (I don't buy at auto supply stores - too much $$$ compared to farm supply stores or W-M). The local Honda dealer isn't known for their discount pricing on genuine Honda supplies, either.

The M1 has certainly been adequate and is $4.60 / qt. in the five quart jugs from W-M. 44K and no detectable oil consumption.

When on sale, Toyota 0W20 is the least expensive and is also the most fuel-efficient 0W20 on the market. It is hard to be at $5/qt. I question whether most off the shelf API SN 0W20 have adequate TBN reserve to reach 10k anyway, so I generally replace them between 5k-7.5k. I plan to do the same with the 2012 Civic I recently started servicing.

Heak! I just bought 2011 CRV too and with 500 miles on it so far I'm lovin it! I'm trying to decide too what oil I should use in it. My local Wal-Mart has Mobile 1 0w20 and no other 0w20. Think the M1 0w20 will get this engine to 300,000 miles or would I be better off with the Honda full syn 0w20? I plan on doing a UOA on every oil change like I do with our 2004 Volvo XC70 and German Castrol.
Here is a few pictures of my new CRV:
100_3502.jpg

100_3497.jpg

100_3498.jpg

100_3501.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back