oil filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, the boiler could definitely use a short OCI to help remove any dirt / sludge to help prolong engine life. That oil filter isn't looking so good. How long was it in use for?

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
do you use waste oil in the boiler? the filter is sludged but otherwise looks pretty good

No, just the expensive stuff they deliver. The filter has a vacuum gauge on the assembly and if the filter is clogged, the gauge should show it. This filter was still in the green area (good) of the gauge and had been in service for about 2 years, so maybe 1200 gallons.

Those oil tanks must get pretty nasty after sitting around forever, sometimes buried. The Northeast can have all the oil burners IMO. Natural gas and propane is a much cleaner and more civilized source of heat, LOL!

J/K in case anyone takes offense.

My home has tanks 2x275 gal that are maybe are 8 years old and are inside. I add a fuel additive to help with any sludge and make it burn better.

But remember the same critters that helped to clean up the Valdez oil spill and the Gulf disaster, are in my oil tank, and so is their poo.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What caused the spreading of the pleats? New that way or from use? Remember this filter is under vacuum not pressure.

I only see one spread pleat ... and it looks like it was made that way. Look at where the pleats are glued into the end cap. It was glued in already spread out.

What caused the spreading of the pleats? New that way or from use? Remember this filter is under vacuum not pressure.

Donald, it wouldn't matter if the oil is forced /pumped on one end, or pulled through from the other side via a vacuum. The element only sees' flow.
I'm not sure if I hit on what you are saying here.

I couldn't see that much volume/force through a furnace causing a pleat spread because of a local build up at the other areas. Maybe age? Maybe design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I only see one spread pleat ... and it looks like it was made that way. Look at where the pleats are glued into the end cap. It was glued in already spread out.

I think he's referring to the first pic showing the tight pleats on one side and the 'spreading' on the other.

Probably why there is a piece of string.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I think he's referring to the first pic showing the tight pleats on one side and the 'spreading' on the other.

grin2.gif

I only see one pleat that is really spread open ... that's in the 3rd picture. Like I said before, look at where the media is glued into the end cap. It was obviously glued in spread out at the factory. Probably the same for the other pleats that are more open than the other.

Yes, the sting is probably used to help hole the media in place during the end cap gluing process, and I don't think that will result in perfectly spaced pleats. Pretty common to see.

grin2.gif

I only see one pleat that is really spread open ... that's in the 3rd picture. Like I said before, look at where the media is glued into the end cap. It was obviously glued in spread out at the factory. Probably the same for the other pleats that are more open than the other.

Yes, the sting is probably used to help hold the media in place during the end cap gluing process, and I don't think that will result in perfectly spaced pleats. Pretty common to see.

I see what you're saying. I was joking regarding the string 'holding it together' during operation.
thumbsup2.gif

I see what you're saying. I was joking regarding the string 'holding it together' during operation.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, most Purolator made filters usually have some degree of non-uniform pleat spacing ... as shown on photos posted of brand new ones cut open.

There is only one significant space section on the pleat spacing and a few tiny ones.

I am not sure what to do next year. The vacuum gauge said the burner was still able to draw in all the oil it needed.

Last edited:

I am not sure what to do next year. The vacuum gauge said the burner was still able to draw in all the oil it needed.

Can you snap a picture of the vacuum gauge? I've never heard/seen one that is intended for monitoring filter restriction.

By the looks of the filter I'd think two years is a good change interval. Those Sid Harvey spin-ons are pretty good sized compared to the normal cartridge type. I suppose you could push it farther since you have that gauge, but is it worth it?

The oil flow through this filter will be much less than that in a vehicle......if not, I don't want to see your home heating bill!!!!
With the much lower flow rate, I can see where this would still be good, whereas it would not be good on a vehicle.

Heating oil has gotten quite expensive.

Originally Posted By: daman
Looks like a P1 knock off,slotted base plate string around media.

I wouldn't call it a knock-off, but it's a filter that has been manufactured by Purolator for another company. This is very common, and Purolator makes filters that are sold under various other brand names.

This mess should not be found in any heating oil other than, 'bunker C', that is delivered by a reputable heating oil distributor. IMO he is sweetening his profits by adding drain oil as a percent of the amount he pumps into your tank. JMO--Oldtommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back