My Car's Oil Spec is xWxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two vehicles I currently has multiple grades listed in the manual. Just looked at one manual and it list 5w20, 5w30 & 10w30 as choices. It does state for better fuel economy use 5w20.

I read BITOG frequently and see many post questioning what is the best viscosity to use and the answers are usually 0w--- but some of the answers are "Use what the car spec says in the manual." These manuals you speak of, do they list just one viscosity or do they give you multiple like mine?

I am not that interested in the best fuel economy but the longest trouble free engine. I am turning 38 at the end of this month and have had my own vehicle since I was 14 and during that time I have only had 4. My 4th car was just purchased 4 months btw.

Rod

Your manual and others state many different grades but for what temps. You need to pick the appropriate grade for the temp as per most manuals. Does it say anything about not using certain grades or types at certain instances. if not and if the car is out of warranty pick a 0w-XX in the middle weight range I guess. or run the 5w-20 all year or if there is no warranty left run a 0w-20 in it. Manuals are kinda tricky sometimes. I find.

Oh i didnt see he was in TX. Is it true that no matter what a 0 wt is better than a thicker one in providing less wear in startups? maybe a 0w-30.

Last edited:
Look again, it's likely the manual has a "temperature chart" of sorts
wink.gif
For x temperature range, use 5W-30, for y temperature range, using 10W-30, etc....

That's how my Kia was, 5W-20, 5W-30 were basically "all temperature" - but 10W-30 was good for anything over 30 degrees if I recall.....

My 88 Aries has 5W-30 for -20 degrees through and up to 100 degrees.
10W-30 from 0 degrees up and through 100 degrees.
SAE 30 (straight 30) from 40 degrees, up to 100 degrees....

I typically just use 5W-30 though....no problems thus far really.

But when I checked the Amsoil Garage, http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1988+DODGE+ARIES+D it specs 5W-30 too.....with further "temperature options"

Above 10 F......15W-40
Above 0 F......10W-30
Above 19 F......30
Below 100 F......5W-30

Amsoil makes a little bit more sense.....I'd check amsoil and go with the least common denominator
wink.gif
Kind of surprised they actually list 15W-40 for this small engine
wink.gif
BUT, I _have_ heard of some old timers using it (thicker is better! etc lol).

For the "winter" or should I say "cold" months you could be OK with a 5W-30, and for the summer "hot" months, go for 10W-30
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: abycat
Your manual and others state many different grades but for what temps. You need to pick the appropriate grade for the temp as per most manuals. Does it say anything about not using certain grades or types at certain instances. if not and if the car is out of warranty pick a 0w-XX in the middle weight range I guess.

Manual does have temperature range and it states anything above -15 degrees F up to 120 degrees F 10w30 is acceptable. Temperatures -30 degrees F up 120 degrees F 5w20 & 5w30 are acceptable.

I live in DFW so we never see - degrees F but have very hot summers. Right now I have 5w20 but might move to 5w30 in the summer. I sometimes drive long stretches in 100+ temperature at speeds above 80mph. Not sure if moving to 5w30 will be any better in that situation.

Rod

Last edited:
It's usually best to run the lightest oil recommended by the manufacturer which is what you're doing.
Would there be any advantage of running a 5W-30 in a Texas summer? Likely not, as 80 mph in 100F heat will still not generate unduly high oil temp's.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Would there be any advantage of running a 5W-30 in a Texas summer? Likely not, as 80 mph in 100F heat will still not generate unduly high oil temp's.

Thanks I was wondering that.

But I guess me original question was "do other manuals state only one viscosity of oil"? From some of the post here it appears that way but maybe they are just referring to that based on ambient temperature?

Rod

Originally Posted By: Rodraid
I sometimes drive long stretches in 100+ temperature at speeds above 80mph. Not sure if moving to 5w30 will be any better in that situation.

Rod

For 100+* & 80MPH, there would be no less than 5W-30 in my engine...

The 0wt will protect your engine even in the hottest air temps. Actually the 0wt may be a tad better for cold engine starts as 80-85% of wear occur on start. Remember the 0wt doesn't mean thinner, it means the oil is formulated to flow quicker on cold engine starts regardless of the air temp. Then at full operating engine temp the 20-30 wt number gives your engine the protection it needs.

Thanks I was wondering that.
But I guess me original question was "do other manuals state only one viscosity of oil"? From some of the post here it appears that way but maybe they are just referring to that based on ambient temperature?
Years ago manufacturer's used to spec' a wide range of oil grades and the ambient conditions underwhich they can be used but not so much anymore.
You haven't mentioned what cars you have, but the manual hasn't limited the 20wt oil to winter use only. So you're fine.

Rod

Years ago manufacturer's used to spec' a wide range of oil grades and the ambient temp's and other conditions under which they're to be used but not so much any more.
You haven't mentioned what cars you have, but the manual hasn't limited the 20wt oil to winter use only. So you're fine.

If the manual states 5w-30 is acceptable then use it for the colder months of the year. Then at your spring oil change go with the 10w-30. 5w-20 is a CAFE spec and I will never ever believe that it protects as well as a 5w-30. Jmo

2011 Hyundai Genesis V6

Okay, you're definitely fine with the 20wt oil.
Manufacturer's also recommend oil based on what's available in certain markets and how vehicles tend to be used there.
5W-20 is an oil grade unique to NA.

I am not that interested in the best fuel economy but the longest trouble free engine.

Sometimes you'll get better fuel economy with with thicker oil if it lubricates
better. Better lubrication = less friction = better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I am not that interested in the best fuel economy but the longest trouble free engine.

Sometimes you'll get better fuel economy with with thicker oil if it lubricates
better. Better lubrication = less friction = better fuel economy.

Thanks Merkava_4 you're always good for a laugh!

My '04 Subaru manual spec's 5w-30, but it also says to use thicker grades in very hot weather, 10w-30 and 20w-50 are acceptable.

During the summer here in Colorado, I run M1 10w-30 HM, which is a thick 30 weight, probably ideal.

My manual states to use ONLY 5W30 (2005 Pontiac Montana SV6). It has seen mostly 0W30 - even during the warranty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back