POLARIS or Blackstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is the better place for VOA and UOA? Does polaris have the irregular results like blackstone does? IS one held to a higher standard than the other?

Last edited:
Given that companies like Amsoil have chosen the "private brand" option that Polaris supplies, I think that says something for Polaris. (What that means is that Polaris supplies Amsoil with test kits labeled OAI, and all the reports and website are all labeled OAI, but in reality its Polaris. They do this for many companies). Also if you want TBN (and everyone should) then Polaris is cheaper.

And you don't have to read through the gibberish that Blackstone adds to the report.

Last edited:
Polaris Labs has ISO accreditation whereas I do not believe Blackstone does. I guess that would mean that they are held to a higher standard. I like that their testing is more affordable and they test for more values.

Polaris uses gas chromotology to check for fuel dilution. Blackstone doesn't unless they changed recently. Blackstone is pretty much worthless as far as fuel dilution goes.

Polaris is an Accredited lab. Check on Blackstone.

Polaris gets overexcited about nothing at times with their colors. Blackstone can be off on additives by 100's of ppm at times.

But really both are kinda fine for the BITOG extrapolation party. More important is the use and interpretation - and really the reason you are doing the UOA in the first place is most important.

+1 on Polaris. I've used them since they absorbed the Kendall lab and have been very happy with the information.

I do, however, ignore the color-code stuff.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Polaris gets overexcited about nothing at times with their colors. Blackstone can be off on additives by 100's of ppm at times.

But really both are kinda fine for the BITOG extrapolation party. More important is the use and interpretation - and really the reason you are doing the UOA in the first place is most important.

Reasonable response. I'd use either.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Reasonable response. I'd use either.

Like all places that have people involved, there can and will be mistakes made. Don't be afraid to ask for a re-test if something looks askewed. The protocols are different, so if you're switching back and forth you will probably get confused. If you want a qualified professional interpretation, then you're SOL. But for BITOG purposes (data), both can be useful if you know what to look for.

Blackstone gets a bad rap around here. I'm not sure I actually believe most of the "Blackstone was off by xxx ppm" comments. I'm more inclined to believe that the people sending the oil in were confused as to what they had in their sump in many of the cases. I've seen enough posts in the UOA section with "oh, you're right, this was the SL stuff!" or "just checked, it was 10w40, not 5w30" or "yeah, I did add in 4 quarts of brand Y 3 days before I did this change".

I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes but it gets blown way out of proportion on here. Some people on the forum seem to believe that Blackstone operates a random number generator.

I mean I sent in a VOA of havoline and they detected no moly, the PQIA did the same VOA and detected moly. Also the level of additives in the mobil super VOA I did were a lot lower than the PQIA. I think I'll give polaris a try, theyre cheaper by $7 and with TBN and a few extra metals.

(See Red) Oh, how apt!

Originally Posted By: cchase
Blackstone gets a bad rap around here. I'm not sure I actually believe most of the "Blackstone was off by xxx ppm" comments. I'm more inclined to believe that the people sending the oil in were confused as to what they had in their sump in many of the cases. I've seen enough posts in the UOA section with "oh, you're right, this was the SL stuff!" or "just checked, it was 10w40, not 5w30" or "yeah, I did add in 4 quarts of brand Y 3 days before I did this change".

I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes but it gets blown way out of proportion on here. Some people on the forum seem to believe that Blackstone operates a random number generator.

Have a look through this thread on an Outback forum. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/89-oil-fuel-discussion/29368-oil-diesel-my-gas-engine-17.html
I suspected lab error when P and Z from RT6 were 774 and 792 respectively. They retested it and the numbers came back as 994 and 1056. Other additives were off as well. I'm not saying that the same error would not happen at OAI, but this guy clearly knew what oil he used and Blackstone made a mistake.

-Dennis

I've been dealing with Fluid Life for many years and they do really good work. When I send in a sample for UOA they provide me with an updated VOA baseline with my report. Which is really nice. They've always got my results ready by next day too. Worth looking into depending on where you live.

The hardest thing I've found is navigating some of these UOA company websites.....I'm guessing probably cause they are more after commercial businesses/truckers/heavy machinery, and not on "casual oil changers" as their clientel :p So they hide their request forms within their sites.....

Oil Analyzers Inc, and Blackstone seem to be the EASIEST sites to navigate.....you know EXACTLY where you need to go to "request a kit" when you load their page.....

Didn't have the same success at Wearcheck, POLARIS, etc....(I know I'm forgetting one or 2.....see, cause I didn't like their site design....).

So...someone wanna give me the link to "request"/buy an oil sample kit for the above labs? :p

Last edited:
Sidetrack here, but is OAI affiliated with Amsoil? If so, is it preferable to purchase the kits from a BITOG sponsor than direct from OAI's web site? I see Donald mentions Amsoil above, but says they actually go to Polaris?

I would appreciate it if you do it through me, but I don't get any commission points from analysis. If you are a PC it's lower cost for the analysis. As I recall the postage paid kit (both ways) is under $25 PC cost and $30 or $32 postage paid non PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back