New build hemi build need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, looking for a little advice on an oil for our new showcar. While its more of a racing engine than a street engine, the oil we are looking for will be used for cruising around town and car shows, so many cold starts, very few rpms, and almost no throttle.

Background on the engine, it is a 2009 Mopar performance 572 megablock hemi base, that has only been opened up to a 528. Full 2400hp bottom end with cp pistons, all cryo treated and a coated piston skirts. 8.2:1 compression. Running a 750ish lift cam, with heavy ramps, and i think 750 lb valve spring pressure, but is full roller valvetrain. Engine is running high volume oil pump, with a oil cooler, with a 10 quart total system capacity. planning on running with an oil temp and pressure gauge. The rest of the engine is built to handle around 2400 overall, so its a stout build for sure. Its got a ported 871 blower on top, and boost will vary depending if its at a show or driving to walmart. Goal for engine, is around 1700-1800 e85, and 2200 alky. It also has a nitrous plate to help lower intake charge temp

The bottom end was put together by a local builder, who wants to see between a 40-60 weight oil in it for racing, depending if where on e85 or alky. He said he wanted the oil pressure to be about 70-75 psi at 6500, which is the max we are going to spin it. He wanted nothing more that 75, because i belive the bypass valve is at 83-85 psi. For street he said he would like a thinner oil just due to the cold starts, and the fact that the engine isnt going to get abused on the street. It is only going to be run twice a year in the spring on the track, then the rest at shows, and around 500 miles a year or so. It will be on e85 on the street and shows.

I know this isnt really a PCMO, but i figured this is a good place to start, seeing as im not looking for a racing oil. Also sorry about the wall of text

Thanks!
Brent

I would say M1 0w-40(or Lubro Moly) for street and 5w-50(for example Nippon,Eneos,Synmax, and 10w-60 for track(CAstrol,Lubro Moly), don't know 70 weight oils.

A few months ago, I posted a question similar to this about our other cars, and tried some of the oils that people said, and both the ones i tried (M1 0w40 and GC) have been vast improvements in the engines there in. Im just afraid in this engine that those oils wont have enough AW additives for this engine due to its extreme valvetrain setup.

I would like to stick with 1 brand for both the racing oil, and for the street oil, and the 3 i have currently in mind are M1, Amsoil, and Redline. My plan is to shoot pablo a pm tomorrow and call redline up and talk to them. Im not sure how bad this engine is going to chew up oil, again due to the valvetrain, and that is is running timing gears with a cam driven fuel pump.

I own a blown chevy stroker with a similar setup. It is VERY hard on oil due to the shear from heavy ramp rates and timing gears, among other things.

We run Amsoil Dominator 15w-50 year round. It's in a boat and really revs hard, and it is perfectly happy with this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Hey all, looking for a little advice on an oil for our new showcar. While its more of a racing engine than a street engine, the oil we are looking for will be used for cruising around town and car shows, so many cold starts, very few rpms, and almost no throttle.

Background on the engine, it is a 2009 Mopar performance 572 megablock hemi base, that has only been opened up to a 528. Full 2400hp bottom end with cp pistons, all cryo treated and a coated piston skirts. 8.2:1 compression. Running a 750ish lift cam, with heavy ramps, and i think 750 lb valve spring pressure, but is full roller valvetrain. Engine is running high volume oil pump, with a oil cooler, with a 10 quart total system capacity. planning on running with an oil temp and pressure gauge. The rest of the engine is built to handle around 2400 overall, so its a stout build for sure. Its got a ported 871 blower on top, and boost will vary depending if its at a show or driving to walmart. Goal for engine, is around 1700-1800 e85, and 2200 alky. It also has a nitrous plate to help lower intake charge temp

The bottom end was put together by a local builder, who wants to see between a 40-60 weight oil in it for racing, depending if where on e85 or alky. He said he wanted the oil pressure to be about 70-75 psi at 6500, which is the max we are going to spin it. He wanted nothing more that 75, because i belive the bypass valve is at 83-85 psi. For street he said he would like a thinner oil just due to the cold starts, and the fact that the engine isnt going to get abused on the street. It is only going to be run twice a year in the spring on the track, then the rest at shows, and around 500 miles a year or so. It will be on e85 on the street and shows.

I know this isnt really a PCMO, but i figured this is a good place to start, seeing as im not looking for a racing oil. Also sorry about the wall of text

Thanks!
Brent

I would run Royal Purple HPS Street or XPR Racing. Either 10W40 or 20W50.

Kendall 20w-50 with extra zinc added

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/conoco/industrial_oils/Ken%20GT-1%20High%20Performance%20MO%20(Ti)%20TDS%20Web.pdf
Only 3.39/qt here.

If starting in the cold, Id use Rotella 5w-40 or 15w-50 M1

Last edited:
I would stick with a good off the shelf brand and change it often. You can easily tell the oil condition running alcohol (or even race gas) from the smell of the oil.

Lots of good reccomendations already. Mobil 1 15W50 is also a good choice.

Sounds like you have a solid lifter and not roller cam. You definately want a 50W with that. The synthetic 50s are not bad for startup at reasonably low temperatures.

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 comes to mind. Great ad pack for your application... Maybe even the regular 5W-50. Both would provide good protection at start up and the necessary viscosity at operating temperature.

I think the key to your application is the use of alcohol-based fuel. You need a thick oil to combat the effect of fuel dilution. Red Line's 60WT Drag Race oil is a 20W-60, so it should be streetable on days where the temperature is above freezing. It is formulated especially for alcohol engines. This oil can be heated to boil out the alcohol, and then can be reused. It also has more anti-wear additive than you've ever dreamed of.

Also, you didn't say what the fuel system is. Is it carbureted, mechanical FI, or EFI? If carbureted or mechanical FI, fuel dilution would be terrible. If EFI, fuel dilution would only be bad.

Holy cow! You can't tease us w/o pics. Aberdeen to Mobridge in 15 min? Good luck in whatever you decide.

I used to drive through Aberdeen quite often (on the way home to ND). My wife was actually born there!

AMSOil's 60-wt racing oil is also a 20W-60, but just barely. The limit for Cold Cranking viscosity is 9000cP @ -10C, and AMSOil squeaks by with 8411. Red Line has a much lower Cold Cranking viscosity of 3000 @ -10C. This would make it more friendly for street use.

you guys may be amazed but this type of engine actually has a relaxed duty cycle.

If installed in any normal chassis you will be unable to use all the power for more than a short burst.

It's a much more relaxed life than say, in a boat. I own a stroker BBC with a blower in a go-fast boat and it can rock the house, but even then it will quickly tire you after just a minute at full throttle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back