Would you use 2 year old opened coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an open bottle of Honda coolant that's been sitting in my bedroom for two years. I used it to top off my reserve tank in my 07 Civic at the time and it's just been sitting still for about two years. I'm about to do a coolant change and was wondering:

1. Would you use this open, but tightly sealed, bottle in your coolant change? I'm almost positive I'll be throwing it out. Which leads to....

2. How do I get rid of it? Bring it to an auto shop like you would oil? Are they required to accept it?

Anyone know the shelf life for opened/tightly sealed Honda coolant? Thanks in advance.

I doesn't go bad if it is still 100% unmixed, or mixed with distilled water and sealed. I have used plenty of old antifreeze from the garage, it still tests out to over 260F+ and -60F on my antifreeze tester, I would pour it in and not think twice about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be slightly confused with the cautions that go with using opened brake fluid containers.

I would use it with no worries.

What type of water treatment do you have?

Septic tank or city water treatment facility?

Many municipalities you can pour it down the drain and it will break down in the sewer and at the sewage treatment plant.

Yep! Use it. Often coolant is in the cooling system of an engine for much longer than that.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
You might be slightly confused with the cautions that go with using opened brake fluid containers.

I would use it with no worries.

I've looked several places, and most people balk at the idea of using opened/not sealed coolant that's been hanging around the house. I'll admit I'm a tad ignorant when it comes to automotive fluids and shelf life, so please feel free to straighten out any of my confusion.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Many municipalities you can pour it down the drain and it will break down in the sewer and at the sewage treatment plant.

How about the storm drain? If my town has a water treatment facility is it ok to pour it down the drain across the street from me?

I believe it's city water treatment... not 100% sure.

2 years? Absolutely. If you're that scared of it, just use it as an intermediate flush before putting fresh in.

Originally Posted By: semaj281

How about the storm drain? If my town has a water treatment facility is it ok to pour it down the drain across the street from me?

Municipalities typically have two separate sewer lines, storm sewer and sanitary. The storm sewer are the drains and inlets along the road that collect rainwater and then empty directly into rivers/lakes. Do not dump anything into the inlets along the road.

The sanitary sewer lines collect wastewater from your house (sink, bathroom) and run to the sewage treament plant before being emptied into rivers or lakes.

Originally Posted By: semaj281

Not a smart idea.

Use it!

As for disposing of it, if you choose that route, do not dump it in a storm drain. Do not put it in the toilet if you are on a septic. If on municipal sewer service, dumping in the toilet is generally OK. Many places that take used oil may also take antifreeze - doesn't hurt to ask.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I doesn't go bad if it is still 100% unmixed, or mixed with distilled water and sealed. I have used plenty of old antifreeze from the garage, it still tests out to over 260F+ and -60F on my antifreeze tester, I would pour it in and not think twice about it.

It is a non-sealed pre-mixed solution, which doesn't fit either of your descriptions.

I just did a coolant exchange on my Ford with a combination of 50/50 mixed and straight G-05, both had been opened for exactly 2 years--kept in a closed bottle at room temperature. Don't think twice about it, it's not going to go bad just sitting in the bottle. The 50/50 mixed was mixed with distilled water. I also used the rest of the opened bottle of distilled water.

As far as disposing of the old coolant, it depends. I can put mine out at the curb and it'll get recycled, but I'm guessing that's not an option for most. The local transfer station will accept it. Most auto parts places locally do not accept it.

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
Originally Posted By: Brenden

It is a non-sealed pre-mixed solution, which doesn't fit either of your descriptions.

I missed the edit time, it was supposed to also include opened ones, I hadn't got my coffee in at that point
wink.gif

It is fine to use as long as you didn't self mix it with tap water, the other elements in tap water deplete the additives over time.

It is not like brake fluid which absorbs moisture, it is relatively stable and has a very long shelf life, open or sealed.

Coolant has a VERY long life when not in the engine. As others have said, brake fluid is hygroscopic (attracts water), coolant is MIXED with water !

I'd use it. To teach you a little, coolant (and it's additives) counter the acids that build up in an engine from the metals corroding (due to electrolysis). This is what governs the life of coolant in an engine.

I'd also recycle coolant. Animals die from drinking it and it is toxic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back