Fram SureDrain Fast Access Oil Change Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure where to post this, but I wanted information on the fram sure drain plug. Reviews would be great. I don't want to install something that will cause failure or leaks from this item. Just a few comments on if it is a good investment would be great.

I have seen the Fumoto, the Doorman, and the Fram. The Fram and Doorman look to be about the same. The Doorman I saw on a car had a slow seeping leak.

The Fumoto is the way to go. It is more expensive but its a better design IMHO.

Have used the Sure Drain on two cars without issues. One of them is on my current car. It flows kind of slow though. If you're not the patient kind then it might not be good for you. And if you have a tendency to lose things, be sure to put the draining attachment somewhere you won't lose it or else you'll defeat the purpose of putting one on.

Last edited:
Ok this one is different from a Fram labeled one I saw before. Still these are really a solution to a non existent problem.

I had two which I recently removed in favor of Goldplugs. Never a problem with them, although they do lengthen your drain time substantially. Also, there is a certain volume of oil that will remain in the pan due to their design, but the convenience factor is great.

I have used it and I had no problems with it. Like TheCritic says it does drain slowly but gives you times to do other things and get the rest of the oil change stuff ready.

I've got one (and my last) Fumoto and about a dozen Sure drains.

Plenty of discussions here on this. Search is your friend!
11.gif

Bill

i rather have a magnetic drain plug than one of those. i would assume more debris in oil would come out using a regular drain plug due to the narrow passage way of those drain plugs

Over 6 Fumotos installed over the years, oldest has been on over 10 years, flawless, hit a concrete median with one, shaved a bit off the nipple, still functions fine. Quality is just great!

I've had a Fram Suredrain on both of my cars for about 5 years now, they work great! I like the slow draining, it allows me to take a sample without making a huge mess. If you're gonna let the oil drain for 20 minutes or more it doesn't matter how slow it drains, the same amount of oil will come out in that length of time as it would with the normal drain plug.

I have SD's on three cars and they work great. No leaks, no having to fiddle with a box wrench or socket, no problemos. The fitting & actuator attachment are well made; as for the rubber drain tube, I don't really use it when draining, so I don't know how that holds up over time. Yes, it does take a bit longer to drain the oil, but big whoop. And yes, a tiny bit less oil may drain from the pan due to the SD's design; again, big whoop...it's not like you ever drain all the oil out of an engine anyway.

It's the one Fram product I am a big fan of, especially as they can be had on Ebay for less than half the price of a Fumoto valve. Too bad Fram has discontinued them (though they still seem very easy to find on Ebay & Amazon).

Today was the first time I used my Fumoto and it worked great...not a single drop on the garage floor...a hose clamp around the body will secure the handle from opening by mistake but I haven't put one on as yet...never heard of the SD but it looks good too...

Happy clean oil changing!

Lary

I have used both Fumoto and the Fram. Both are great and don't leak. All you folks complaining about slow drain time ............ you are warming up the oil first, aren't you? OK it is a tad longer - that's when you change the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back