4R100 FORD TRANNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
keep putting everything that dont belong in there and wonder why its going to need a rebuild..

I assume your talking about Lubeguard because no other additive has been mentioned.
So now your saying adding lubegurd because you don't think it belongs in the tranny is going to cause it to fail and need a rebuild? LOL. Unbelievable.
crackmeup2.gif

what i said was ONLY add what belongs in the transmission something licensed by the company that made the unit...I own an engine shop and tell everyone to use what the owners manual says to use my brother up until 2008 owned a transmission shop and had the same beliefs..You can do what you want with your oils...The oil companies spend millions on research and development..Im sure you know much more about engines than i do and a whole lot more about oils than the oil companies do so i wont argue with you.. As for lube guard i dont know anything about that product so i did not say anything bad about it..My brother always says the reason for a lot of transmissions breaking down is because of the wrong fluids being put in...That is why most new cars have sealed transmissions to keep people from putting in something that dont belong. Glad you got a good laugh because the shop has the last laugh..Hehe

Quote:
That is why most new cars have sealed transmissions to keep people from putting in something that dont belong

I think its more like ginning up work for the dealers nothing more.
Lubricants are blended to a price point, CAFE regulations and type of service the unit will likely encounter.
The lubricants specified will take the unit through the warranty period but it may or may not be the best available lubricant for the application.

Lubeguard has been specified by many OEM manufacturers to correct various issues units have encountered and can be corrected with the product without disassembly.
The product has been tested by OEM and independents alike in real world testing over decades and it does perform as well as claimed.
Quote:
Use motorcraft mercon 5 and it will shift like it did but do it NOW you will thank me

You told the OP to use Mercon V which was also not specified for that 99 unit Mercon was, so technically you told him to use the wrong fluid.
I understand it is back spec'd as is Dexron IV for Dexron III but some units may not perform 100% with it.
Lubeguard aids in fluid compatibility and has proven to cure some issue's encountered using certain fluids even if they are approved after the unit was built.

Last edited:
Is the Red Lubegard a fix all in a small 8oz bottle? No!

It is more preventive maintenance in an 8oz bottle... But it has cured many many cases of torque converter shudder... As well as other small or minor transmission issues... There are thousands of testimonials to back this up...

My 4R100 has over 200K miles on it.. In most cases these transmissions in the F250 7.3L barely make it past 100K miles...I feel mine has gone this distance for a few reasons...

1..Good Maintenance-->40K mile Service
2..A Good Synthetic ATF -->Amsoil Torque Drive
3..External Spin-On By-Pass Filter
4..2 Bottles of Red Lubegard every Service

I also add 1 bottle to my Transfer Case...

I have been using the Red Lubegard for the last 7yrs...

I will keep using it in all my autos... I recommend it to all other PSD owners as well... I have not yet received a death threat from any of them, because their 4R100 has failed or needs rebuilt all of the sudden...

Lubegard is a legit product!!

All of the above has indded help the longevity of your trans. My last one before I did my build and got my BTS had 275K on it.

The major issues with the Diesel 4r is Solinoid packs, TC and heat. Lubegard helps with oxidation and TC engaugement which results in lower temp.

A good valve body BTS or John Woods, multi disc converter and the updated Solinoid Pack will make a stock internals trans last a very long time. Good maintance habits always helps of course

Last edited:
used a bottle of red lube guard and drove it for about 30 miles and yes it does seem to shift smoother, I don't know if its the lube guard or just driving the truck. Thank you for the advice and will use it again
grin.gif

fshar: Not to tell you what to do...But the directions say to add 1oz per qt in the Transmission... The 4R100 holds roughly 17qts...

I would add another 8oz bottle... so you will get the full benefit of the product... 1 8oz bottle is not really that much in 17qts...

Just a thought...

Travis beat me to it.... I was in edit mode...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fshar
used a bottle of red lube guard and drove it for about 30 miles and yes it does seem to shift smoother, I don't know if its the lube guard or just driving the truck. Thank you for the advice and will use it again
grin.gif

As Travis Stated another bottle is optimal but may not be needed. How about the noise has it gone away aswell?

Some product are truely snakeoil but I can deffinetly say Lubegard is not one of them

Yes the noise is gone and the tranny seems to shift smooth. I will get another bottle and dump in, might have to remove some to make room as I don't want to overfill. Again thank you all for the great advice. Local Napa did stock this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back