any good 12v tire inflators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to agree. I've had several in both lower and higher price ranges.

If you're inflating a small tire they can work, but most of my fleet trucks run E tires at 80 psi and it could take half an hour to inflate one. Or at least it felt that way.

I have the Q industries MV-50. While it is by far the best 12 volt compressor I have owned/used, I do not think that says too much.

It pulls 16 to 18 amps, connects right to the battery with some alligator clips, and I don't think it likes voltages over 13.5, so running the engine whilst inflating might be a no no.

The Air filter is a good idea, which makes it quieter too, but do take a razor and remove all the extra plastic flashing from the housing mold to reduce restriction.

I do not really like the part which connects to the Schrader valve as I use it mostly to inflate my suspension helper air bags, and If I pump them up to 50, they are down to 35 by the time I unscrew the connector.

I wanted to change hoses but the fittings are non standard, and I could not unthread the original, so I just left it as it came from the box.

Harbor freight has a similar Viair knock off that other report works well.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you need to inflate few PSI per tire the most reliable is a good bicycle pump, inexpensive and good exercise.

+1 Best way to go IMO. Buy a better one for MTB tires and it really isnt much of a chore.

I think some time ago we have a thread on which of those is better...

The VIAIR inflators are excellent.Fairly quiet,fast,and around $50-60.Metal components,heavy feel and built in light.Those under $20 HF compressors are cheap junk.

If you need to inflate few PSI per tire the most reliable is a good bicycle pump, inexpensive and good exercise.

Blowing with your mouth is a good emphysema prevention.

Other than that I am very happy with the Viair line of pumps for my fleet with 16, 17 and 18 inch tyres. Of course in the world of 80+ psi the reality may be very different, and I have no experience in those stratospheres.

I have had good experience with a HF unit I bought. It is a 15A unit that has to be attached to the battery directly. It only took 5 minutes to inflate an RV trailer tire to 50psi. The pump comes in a briefcase size plastic case, and cost around $50.

Yes, regardless of brand get the one that attaches to the battery directly, as opposed to the ones that are juiced from the cig lighter.

I bought a 12v Craftsman inflator:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_1...mp;blockType=L4

It is made in China, but seems better than all the ones I could find elsewhere. Lifespan is [censored], but we'll see.

I bought a Bosch oiled 120V compressor for the garage to do real stuff and it will do tires as well.

Hard to find stuff that isn't junk these days with out buying a 20 gallon prograde compressor. I'd pay pay more that what's out there, but not much to pick from in small sizes.

yea. one of my tire loosing 9 psi in 8 days.. other 3 are perfect. So I might buy cheap bicycle pump from walmart , and pump every 3 days. great idea htss_tr

For vacations I purchased a Sears unit for around $50 I believe. It has saved my bacon already on a trip back from FL to NJ. For tire pressure adjustments at home I use my smallish Emglo air compressor. It works fast!

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back