V Twin 20w-50 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to get blasted here, this is just a question. Harley Davidson recommends 20W-50 Oil for the V Twins which I have used for many years. I used Mobil 1 V Twin or Amsoil 20W-50. After reading the Motor Oil University regarding Engine Start Up, why do they recommend a 20W oil instead of something lighter? Anyfeed back would be great
Thanks All

Last edited:
I'm guessing is has to do with a looser fit motor and the roller type bearings it uses. Harley motors use a low pressure, and high volume oil pressure design. And with being air cooled, the temp of the motor can vary based on its operating environment.Another thing you will notice is you won't find an API symbol on any "motorcycle specific" oil, even Harley's.,,

Thanks for the info, something to look at for sure. I live in North GA where I can ride almost all year round. I have noticed that when it is cooler that I hear what sounds like a slight top end noise when I first start it up. Has done that from day one adn now I think I now why, once warmed up no nosie at all.
Thanks

Harley does recommend using 10/40 wt oil when the operating temps are in that range. But if your day starts off at 40f or below , then warms up to 50f or higher, I would stick with the 20/50 wt. My 2 devalued cents.,,,

That is about the correct temp range around here, just glad we get to ride most of the the year

Originally Posted By: car54
I'm buying a harley this winter, planning to run 5w-50 schaeffers S9000 year round.

Would like to know how you like running that

I used castrols 5w-50 this fall. Bike seemed to like it. It actually made my Harleys valvetrain a bit quieter at start up. I think it would be great spring/fall oil. Then a straight 50 or 60 in the heat of the summer.
I just wonder how quickly a 5w-50 would shear down. Not that I will be running it in there long. A month or so til it gets hot enough.
Anyone got any info

Originally Posted By: az2112
I don't want to get blasted here, this is just a question. Harley Davidson recommends 20W-50 Oil for the V Twins which I have used for many years. I used Mobil 1 V Twin or Amsoil 20W-50. After reading the Motor Oil University regarding Engine Start Up, why do they recommend a 20W oil instead of something lighter? Anyfeed back would be great
Thanks All

I have learned that Harley owners are extremely resistant to change. If they didn't the owners would use it anyway. I am going to assume it's because a 20w-50 shears slower. But I don't know for certain.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I just wonder how quickly a 5w-50 would shear down. Not that I will be running it in there long. A month or so til it gets hot enough.
Anyone got any info
You can find out how it holds up to shear, go to mc uoa's and read away. As far as Harley owners being resistant to change, 20/50 is whats recommended by the manufacturer. They have a list of oil wts for type of use and temperature. It also depends on what type of Harley you have. Older bikes were easier on oil then twin cams are today. An Evo will shear oil due to the cam gears, but heat usally isn't an issue.,,

I ran the S9000 5w-50 for 2000 miles in my suzuki SV650. It was thinned down to a 40wt on the analysis, but I think that was more to do with a lot of fuel dilution and not shearing. Before I changed the oil, I went riding around the neighborhood pretty hard, no highway riding or any warmup time. learned my lesson, next change will be after riding home from work at 4-5k miles, sometime next summer after a year or more in the sump.

I'm a true believer in the Schaeffers oils. Ive used the 5w-40 in my TDI for years. price is as low as any synthetic in a 5qt pack at walmart, and free shipping if you order a couple hundred dollars worth at a time(i have 3 cars and 5 bikes, using tons of oil isn't a problem)

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Mobil 1 15w50 half the price of motorcycle oil

01.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'm guessing is has to do with a looser fit motor and the roller type bearings it uses.

Roller bearings, yes. Looser fit, No.

My guess is 20w-50 being used because of the LPHV oil system and the heat. I really don't see why a 15w-40 couldn't be used in all temps. The engine doesn't get any more hotter than other 4cyl air cooled roller bearing bikes I've ridden that spec 10w-40.

Harley motors are considered a looser fit motor compared to other brands. Unlike water cooled motor which run at constant temps, Harley's cooling is dependant on air temp. And being looser, it allows it to expand as much as it needs to. The rear cylinder also tends to run hotter due to placement behind the front cylinder. I've had 2 Harley ultra classics, one was a '93 Evo motor and the other was a '03 twin cam motor. With the Evo,motor heat was something I never gave a thought to, but the twin cam had me checking to see if it was on fire several times. And the 20/50 wt Amsoil I ran in it, would drain faster then water. After seeing that first hand, the thought of running a 15/40 wt oil never entered my head. I actually was thinking about using a straight 60 wt like what hey recommend in the manual,But sold the bike before I got to that point.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Harley motors are considered a looser fit motor compared to other brands. Unlike water cooled motor which run at constant temps, Harley's cooling is dependant on air temp. And being looser, it allows it to expand as much as it needs to. The rear cylinder also tends to run hotter due to placement behind the front cylinder. I've had 2 Harley ultra classics, one was a '93 Evo motor and the other was a '03 twin cam motor. With the Evo,motor heat was something I never gave a thought to, but the twin cam had me checking to see if it was on fire several times. And the 20/50 wt Amsoil I ran in it, would drain faster then water. After seeing that first hand, the thought of running a 15/40 wt oil never entered my head. I actually was thinking about using a straight 60 wt like what hey recommend in the manual,But sold the bike before I got to that point.,,

Your entire statement is right on. I've noticed the same heat issues going from the EVO to Twin Cams. I personally refuse to use HArley's SYN3 as it is an overpriced and under performing oil compared to what else is on the market. I also stick with 20W/50 oils, however I did run 20W/60 Redline MC oil once. I used to use Mobil 1 V-Twin but now use Redline 20W/50 MC oil. NOthing wrong with M1 (still use it in my wifes lowrider) I just buy the Redline powerpack which has all the fluids for the bike in a kit.

I also run an older Suzuki 4cyl Air-cooled motor which revs higher, and consistenly has oil temps 280-300 when fully warm. It has a roller crank/rods, and a LPHV oil system ( 3-7 PSI@ 3000 RPM book spec). It specs 10w-40, and I use 15w-40 Rotella. it is a full fairing, bagged bike. My '03 Ultra (Stage One)does not run near this hot even in the summer weather of Arkansastan. I have never had a need to run 20w-50 in the Suzi. It currently has 90,000 miles on it.

I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles. The insides of the engine are not sludged. I take meticulous care of the bike and engine. while it has never been apart for any kind of overhaul, The valve cover has been removed several times in it's life for valve adjustment check, and crankcase cover removed for stator replacement. Both are clean. Call the [censored] flag if you like, but it is what it is. If it were bad like you think, I would have used a different grade/brand long ago. Rotella 15w-40 has a flash point of 414F, well above the 280-300 degree temps I see on this engine. I have also had a UOA done on this engine with good results.

Yeah the Twin Cams do run hotter than the EVO, but even Dino VR1 or Kendall GT1 in 20w50 comes back with good UOA's. I sort of wonder why Harley does not put an oil cooler on the twin cam motors to help hold down the oil temps. My Triumph Speedmaster has one and I think it helps.

I also have an old 80 Suzuki 550 that has the LPHV oiling system and it likes 15w40 Delvac or Rotella just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back