clutch is more grabby when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed this for awhile and didn't think much of it. When its cold it is more grabbed and grabs a little sooner. When its cold outside even with the clutch warm it grabs a hair more aggressively. It is on my Saturn sl2 anyone have any thoughts ? Thanks guys

Like brake pads, the clutch disc has a friction rating that will change as it heat up.
It can go either way, And I never saw one rated, but they sure do respond to heat.

Also, maybe there is a bit of oil or burned oil on the disc.

You could try changing the fluid over to synthetic IF compatible and better specs at cold temps.

I chose Amsoil MTF in my older S20 5-speed in the Civic for better cold-start performance.

Now, that was 'instead of' the original Honda Genuine fluid. The new HG Type-II is thinner(original is like a 10w-30 HM oil), more like a 5w-20 oil. Is it back spec'd all the way to my transmission? That I don't know. So, I took the fork in the road and went with 5w-30 flavor Amsoil MTF.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
You could try changing the fluid over to synthetic IF compatible and better specs at cold temps.

Automobile dry clutches do not come into contact with transmission fluid.

I wonder if you'd be a candidate for some high-end ATF in your application?

Have you considered something like Valvoline MaxLife ATF, even if you don't go to a top-end synthetic?

Generally, on a new car(to me, not brand new), I will change the transmission fluid with the standard and replace it soon again(within 5k-10k) in order to do a short clean-up. Then change the filter(if an automatic in the pan or if it has an in line), and switch over to the fluid I want.

In a manual/standard, it's easier to transmission over from 1 fluid to another.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Automobile dry clutches do not come into contact with transmission fluid.

Then why when I change the MTF out on my Honda is it easier to shift and turns into butter smooth instead of grabby/notchy?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Like brake pads, the clutch disc has a friction rating that will change as it heat up.
It can go either way, And I never saw one rated, but they sure do respond to heat.

Yes, and the carbon/carbon road racing deals actually NEED some heat in them in order to function properly (obviously, this is NOT what his Saturn has in it.
wink.gif
)

Then why when I change the MTF out on my Honda is it easier to shift and turns into butter smooth instead of grabby/notchy?

It can certainly have an effect on shifter action (notchiness), but any change in the clutch action (grabbiness) has to be from something else.

You can look this up; I'm not lying to you.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I've noticed this for awhile and didn't think much of it. When its cold it is more grabbed and grabs a little sooner. When its cold outside even with the clutch warm it grabs a hair more aggressively. It is on my Saturn sl2 anyone have any thoughts ? Thanks guys

My 1996 Ford Contour 5 sp manual acts the same way. The clutch is grabby when first moving then it "smooths out" as you go along. It's worse in the cold temps.

Whimsey

Last year my Saturn was a step above yours. It would actually chatter the first few launches in the morning. Can't recall it happening lately.

LT4 Vette has it, it is common nothing to worry about, but I would baby it until warm.

Temp does have an impact. Sometimes clutches chatter as a result of becoming glazed. I was told by a tranny guy that you can sometimes break slight glazing by stalling the car in first gear. Hold the brake, give it no gas and release the clutch in first gear, the same way you would taking off. I've done it over the years with success, it has helped a few friends too. It won't cost you anything and is worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back