2010 HONDA ELEMENT 5W-20 OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUST BOUGHT A USED 2010 HONDA ELEMENT, 24,000 MILES.
HONDA RECOMMENDS 5W-20 OIL, I WOULD LIKE TO USE MOBIL-1 5W-30.
THE 5W-20 OIL SUPPORTS BETTER GAS MILEAGE AND VISCOSITY
CONTROL, BUT I THINK THE MOBIL-1 5W-30 IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT OIL THAT PERFORMS/FLOWS BETTER THAN ANY MINERAL BASED OIL.

USE ACDELCO PF 2057 OIL FILTER.

ANY COMMENTS.

The lower output K series has been specd 20 weight oil since it was introduced in 2001. They didn't change it, it's always been the recommendation for that engine. That's all I run. It would run fine on 5-30, but that would void your warranty, which is good out to 60,000 miles.

I'm not sure what you're trying to gain with a 30 weight, but the loss of warranty is something you're trading for it (trading to gain nothing?)

Last edited:
Yes, the M1 5-30 is an outstanding oil, but since your Honda calls for a 20wt, I would use M1 0-20. As you can see I use it in my Duratechs with great results. Right now I have 8700 miles on this OC and will be leaving for Panama City Beach, FL. Sunday morning for Thanksgiving. By the time I get back their will be 11K on the oil, and then I will change it.

So don't use mineral based oil. Use a 5W20 or 0W20 synthetic. I doubt seriously that using 5W30 would void any warranty and it would work just fine but why? Do you know something the engine designers don't?

Welcome to BITOG.

If you want to run a higher VI oil then go with a 0W-20.
There's lots to choose from including Honda's own 0W-20 (177 VI).
The highest giving the lowest viscosity on start-up is the EOM made Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI.

Congrats on your new acquisition! Your Element has the 2.4 litre I-4; it is very easy on oil. Please find the UOAs to support this. You do not need to use 5w-30 or Mobil 1 if you are sticking to the recommended OCI of 5000 miles (severe service, which is pretty much everyone). PYB, Quaker State Green bottle, Motorcraft or virtually any other name brand, SN rated 5w-20 mineral oil will be fine. If you must use synthetic, I recommend PP 5w-20. In addition, I also recommend either PureOne or Honda A01 (not the A02) filters. AC filters for your application may have e-cores. I also suggest that you change the transmission fluid at least every other year if not more frequently.

Yeah, 5w30 is a bad idea in that motor. BAD! It will run forever with the 0w20 or 5w20. Honda will void your warranty....etc.

Welcome to BITOG, CACTUS !!You need to spend some time here if you presently believe that any 5w-30 oil will flow better than a mineral 5w-20. It will take several months to digest all of the info available. Then you will at the least be conversant in some of the myths that surround motor oil and it's use. To set aside the Honda reccomendation to use anything other than an xw-20 is a mistake IMO. Honda spent time and money as one of the first to spec 5w-20. Respect their decision and follow it for your K24 engine. FWIW--Oldtommy

We use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in our 2005 Element. I wouldn't use a 30 weight in this vehicle ... Honda knows what they are doing when they specify a 20 weight. Honda engines--from what I have read--have some tight tolerances in their engines and as a result, they prefer you use a 20 weight.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Welcome!

Why not use the Honda 0w20 synthetic? Excellent cold protection, good gas mileage, and inexpensive from the dealer.

Good move. Please follow the maintenance minder and don't dump perfectly good synthetic oil at 3000 miles.

AND PLEASE QUIT USING CAPS, IT'S RUDE!

Last edited:
Why are you so set on using the AC Delco filter? Do you happened to have some left over from another car or are you going to go out of your way to purchase it?

i would use the 5w20 and i do..
During my many years in the engine business i realize that Honda knows something about the engines they build. I meet people all the time that knows more about their engines than the people that build them, actually in most cases my shop gets to rebuild them.
Two years ago i had someone in his really nice Toyota avalon decided to put a pint of stp oil treatment into his engine at 40,xxx miles, thats sort of ok i have used stp in some old cars with good results...Well he thought it ran much better so he decided to put many cans in because thick oil is better than the watery stuff he explained.. It turned out that toyota was on to something when they recommend 5w30.
That oil you stated 5w20 would work great as will most 5w20 sm-sn

Last edited:
HI, I AM IN MY 60'S RETIRED...KEEP THE HONDA ELEMENT IN MY GARAGE, I WILL CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 6 MONTHS, VERY LOW MILEAGE.
AS A YOUNG FELLOW, AFTER H.S. I WAS IN THE MILITARY 4 YEARS,
COMMUNICATIONS, THERE WERE MODEL 28 TELETYPES, ALL UPPER CASE.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog!

I know where you are coming from!

AF (Communication Electronics) Desert Storm vet here. Welcome to BITOG!

God Bless You, sir!

3711th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB "Blue Marines"

Sad to say, I think your barracks were converted to working dog kennels...

Just so you know the M1 5W-20 is heavy 20wt oil, and consiquently heavier than what Honda specifies.
M1 0W-20 is still heavier than what Honda spec's but would be a preferred choice if you're sold on M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back