Oil recommendations for Toyota 4.7L V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just yesterday, I bought a 2000 Toyota Landcruiser with the 4.7 V8 and 130K on the odometer. The vehicle looks new, and I am getting ready to change the oil since the dealer said they had not. My first thought is Pennzoil Platinum for its cleaning ability, but is the engine too old for a switch to synthetic? Should I just use YB or go to a high mileage oil of some type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good motor. (2UZ-FE)

Make sure the belt has been done. (those 32 valves love the pistons)

Those motors will run on ANYTHING. Personally I'd use any 5w-30 API SM/SN and be happy with it. I've seen those motors take abuse and long OCI with Jiffy Lube last a long long time. Many units!

I've also seen one break the belt. Did I say check the belt?

Bill

PS: No NEED for syn or HM oils.

You got an outstanding vehicle on your hands. buy the good toyota filter (ref my signature) and run a good 5w-30 oil.

I prefer the M1 HM 5w-30. It is one of the best oils out on the market right now.

Another happy Mobil-1 HM 5W-30 user here, my '03 Tundra 4.7L ran very quietly even in sub-freezing startups. Over 100K miles of use and no leaks or oil consumption. Just a data point.

I have a '95 T100 Truck with the 5VZFE 3.4 liter V6 and have run M1 5W30 exclusively since I bought it used in 2000. I change oil and filter at 10K intervals. Aside from routine maintenance and replacing one fuel injector several years ago, it's been trouble free.

423,000 miles. I'm going for a million.

Average Commute 10+ Miles: Toyota 0W20, M1 5W30, or PP 5W30 every 10,000 miles.
Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W30 or Motorcraft 5W30 every 6,000 miles.

Average Commute under 10 miles: Toyota 0W20, M1 5W30, PP 5W30 every 6,000 miles.
Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W30 or Motorcraft 5W30 every 3,000 miles.

Plenty of other combos that will work but Im happy with those.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Personally I'd use any 5w-30 API SM/SN and be happy with it.

I agree with Bill. 0W-20 is for girly men.
28.gif
Trolling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back