Mixing synthetic and conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking since I have a stash of both Quaker State Green Bottle and Quaker State UD that I could make it last a little longer by adding half dino and half synthetic. They are both 5W-30. Would this be okay or am I asking for trouble?

Also, to make things cheaper, since I live in South Dakota with cold winters, I was thinking of running conventional in the summer and synthetic (for its flow properties) in the winter on both our vehicles.

Is this change from dino to synthetic every year bad? I would probably put dino in around april or may and change it to synthetic around october/november.

Just looking for some input. thanks!

Yes it is OK. I have been doing that to get rid of some 15w-40 oil I got for 25 cents a quart and some 5w-20 QSUD I got for $1 a quart. I mix it 50/50 and get something like 10w-30.

Don't do it, it will ruin your engine, especially in South Dakota!!!

Just kidding
smile.gif

Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mixing+s...amp;safe=images

I do it all the time.

I fill my 09 camry with 4.5 qts of PU, PP or M1 for an interval of 7.5K miles.

I then top up with PYB or Super 5000 - half a quart every 2k miles. Car has 160k on it.

Not going to hurt..and it may even help.

That's the treatment my Cav gets now Convent-summer/syn-winter...no issues at all.

What comes out of the mix of 0W50 and 0W-20?
I have some Eneos Sustina 0W50 which is not good for any of my cars on its own and Toyota 0W20.

This won't cause any problems.
It's all oil, and the syn you're using is a highly refined mineral oil anyway.
I'd go with your plan and use the QSUD during the winter and the QSGB during the summer.
Don't mix the two, use them where they will perform best.
The QSUD would be a good winter oil, or a summer one, for that matter, while the QSGB will be fine for warmer weather.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Thinking since I have a stash of both Quaker State Green Bottle and Quaker State UD that I could make it last a little longer by adding half dino and half synthetic. They are both 5W-30. Would this be okay or am I asking for trouble?

Per Valvoline.com's webpage:

Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?

Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.

That's nice, but last that I looked, neither QSUD nor QSGB were Valvoline products.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
What comes out of the mix of 0W50 and 0W-20?
I have some Eneos Sustina 0W50 which is not good for any of my cars on its own and Toyota 0W20.

Mix 2 quarts of 0w-50 with 4 quarts of 0w-20 to get something close to 0w-30. There are other factors, but it will be close to a 30 weight.

(50x2)+(20x4)=180 ===> 180/6=30

It's called semi-synthetic although your blend would probably be heavier on the synthetic side which should be a good thing. Hence it would probably be a better blend of syn and dino for the same or less money.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I just dont know why you want to bother.

Conventional is cheaper, I have a stock of synthetic and I'd like to make it last longer.

Last edited:
I work at a Ford dealership. I can buy my oil at cost +10%. Needless to say, I can buy MC sytnthetic blend very cheaply and I can use the shop's lift, tools and dispose of my oil there. I run 3 qts MC syn blend and 2 qts MC full synthetic. If I did my math correctly, I'm getting a 64% synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back