What is your favorite general purpose lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WD-40. Never failed me in 40+ years.

At work (military aviation) we use Kroil & WD-40. Both do a good job. Have tried many others, but these two seem to work the best...

Actually Liquid Wrench is one of the better rust penetrants you can find it is better than WD 40 which is more of product that is supposed to be applied BEFORE rust sets in.

I know that someone posted a lab test around here and LW came in second from the top of the ratings .

For general purpose lube I use Tri Flow, wow I first learned of this when I was working for a Honda Dealership waaay back in the early 80s...like 82 or 83! It would spray out as a reddish liquid and then creep into nooks and crannies and then turn into a semi tacky light grease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dantheman
For a lubricant ( the original question ) good old 3-in-1 oil still works very well .

Agreed. I always keep a bottle on hand...

My new favorite is the Liquid Wrench L4 or L104. The solid lubricant is ceramic reinforced teflon, with a soybean based carrier oil. Great on guns, mower decks, and am waiting for the winter with the rusted lug nuts.

Q20 BLU -

Just came from a Gun Show and ran across this Lubricating Oil - Q20BLU.
Seems to be some of the BEST Lubricating Oil I have used for my collection of guns.

Claims to be:
-Penetrating Oil
-Excellent against Rust Provention,
-Corrosion Prevention
-Excellent Lubricating Oil all weather conditions

Wondering if anyone else has run across this oil before?

www.qmaxxproducts.com

Product Q20BLU

I agree with those suggesting Kroil as a penetrating oil, given patience, it'll penetrate just about anything, works better with heat.

Ballistol has a very distinct smell, and works well for 'shining' something up.

At my work (tire place), for getting wheels broken loose that have corroded to the hubs, we used to use PB, but have actually started using 3-in-1, as it will usually penetrate through that corrosion in much less time than good ol' PB. Also, its lack of odor is preferred.

I liked wd but its getting expensive I bought some seafoam deep creep I'm using for a piston soak but it cleans breaks stuff free lubricated . It 6.49 and I used it today on a squeaky door , a stuck bolt and piston soak so far I'm happy with it

What is the best lubrication for cables? It has to be able to creep in the sheath and also able to handler large temperature swings i.e. from bitter cold of winter to the blistering heat of the running engine. I tried Kroil penetrating oil but it dries up quickly. I recall there used to be something called "CableEase" tube in the past but I have not seen one lately.

Has anyone tried ultralube spray lubricant yet? It is availble at lowes home improvement and a few other places. All of these new ultralube products are soy oil based, non toxic and most have really high flash points. The parent company is Plews-edelmann so I know they know lubrication. I bought a small spray can of the multi-purpose lubricant and penetrant at lowes for $3.99 and it does seem to be a good product.

check it out: www.ultralube.com

Hanging in the entryway to my shop is my 40 yr old grease gun. I go through a tube every few years. None of the present fleet has grease points. The rest is usually smeared onto whatever needs easing or rust proofing. I have a needle to inject grease into a boot or wheel bearing so I buy a tube of high temp grease of no particular brand

Originally Posted By: 67lemans
MMO always got some on hand. Use it for lubing air tools and anywhere else a drop of oil is needed.

Really. I wish I could find that stuff here.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
MMO always got some on hand. Use it for lubing air tools and anywhere else a drop of oil is needed.

Really. I wish I could find that stuff here.
Google up MMO or TurtleWax Mebbe they sell it under different name. What do Canadians use to lube air tools?

Marvel Mystery Oil in a popper can, it has great staying power as it doesnt seem to dry out. It is also a fantastic fuel stabilizer. I have a large collection of tractors and some have had the same fuel in them for 5 or more years. They start right up. I also mix it 50/50 with acetone for a penetrating oil.

Liquid Wrench is also an outstanding penetrating oil.

So, for a general purpose lubricant, MMO, freeing up rusted buts/bolts/pins/etc, MMO/Acetone 50/50 or Liquid Wrench.

that's what i got in my oil can
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back