Siphoning ATF fluid threw dipstick, some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am wondering If I can use a Oil extractor like this http://www.amazon.com/Trac-Dynamics-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97 to remove ATF fluid so i can re-fill it with new fluid.

as I understand it Getting the pan dropped and filter changed only removes some of the fluid and the filter is usually clean unless something is wrong. So im wondering If i can just use an extractor to get as much fluid out as an alternative.

last year it cost me 90 bucks to have my pan dropped and filter changed on my Jeeps automatic transmission, I could buy the extractor and then be able to afford the ATF fluid alot more often then having a shop do the pan drop. I could this every 10k miles instead of maybe 30k miles for a pan drop (30k is whats recommended in owners manual)
I don't have the time or ability with the tools i have at home to do the pan drop myself. i would need to remove my transfer case skid plates and then need something to support my T-case ect....
pumping out a gallon of atf fluid and refilling it with fresh fluid every year would be so much simpler. Then maybe have the filter changed every 60-80k instead of 30k?

Im trying to justify buying an oil extractor to have with all the machines I have around and if I could do this and use it to change out my diff fluid too then it would be worth buying.

call me cheap or lazy but would this be a good idea?

Many people do this and since you have already had pan drop w/ filter change this is a good move IMO. You should always have the pan dropped and filter changed in the first servicing of the trans. After that a plan like yours will be cost effective and beneficial.

My experience is that you get less fluid out than with a pan drop but it depends no the particular transmission. Still, if you do it more often to make up for this it is a good plan. Every 10k miles is probably fine if you're not getting out much fluid, such as 3 out of 10 qts.

You will get about as much fluid out as you would with a pan drop, I have done both methods. A few things to keep in mind: Extraction is very easy, no worries about a leaking pan gasket. A pan drop allows you to clean out any foreign matter which might have been collected by the magnet, or has settled on the bottom of the pan, extraction doesn't allow for cleaning the pan or magnet.

Having said that here's a suggestion which will probably yield better results than a pan drop. Do a fluid extraction every 30K miles, refill drive, for a short distance and repeat, do this about 3 times or until you've extracted the total capacity of your transmission, plus one extraction. Then every 60,000 miles drop the pan clean it, and replace the filter. Refill, drive a short distance and do an extraction, repeat once or twice again. In effect you'll be doing about the same as a line flush.

Also if you start with a properly filled tranny you can measure how much you've extracted add that amount of fresh fluid back to the transmission. I still check the level though. HTH

I use a Mityvac which is similar to the device in your link. Once a year I siphon the ATF out of each vehicle and replace it. It keeps the ATF fairly fresh, it's simple and I have yet to have a problem with an automatic transmission.

I've never dropped the pan or changed an automatic transmission filter, just done the fluid exchange annually. I've had transmissions with over 200K on them when I sold the vehicles and they never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I use a Mityvac which is similar to the device in your link. Once a year I siphon the ATF out of each vehicle and replace it. It keeps the ATF fairly fresh, it's simple and I have yet to have a problem with an automatic transmission.

I've never dropped the pan or changed an automatic transmission filter, just done the fluid exchange annually. I've had transmissions with over 200K on them when I sold the vehicles and they never had a problem.
Yes, I use this method for my 3 vehicles. It has worked well for me for MANY years. I don't even use an extractor. I just use a small diameter plastic hose and use natural siphon. Takes a bit of time but--so what? John--Las Vegas

Living in NY and doing lots of stop driving and go I like to drop the pan as I mentioned above since there is junk on the bottom of the pan and on the magnet. YMMV

I like for a pan drop to be done from time to time. Dont mistake doing this as a replacement for a proper pan drop. What it does though is offers benefit because it keeps the fluid renewed, which IMO is highly valuable.

I'd definitely do it.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
So I am wondering If I can use a Oil extractor like this http://www.amazon.com/Trac-Dynamics-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97 to remove ATF fluid so i can re-fill it with new fluid.

as I understand it Getting the pan dropped and filter changed only removes some of the fluid and the filter is usually clean unless something is wrong. So im wondering If i can just use an extractor to get as much fluid out as an alternative.

I think your idea of the fluid extractor is a good one, and like posted above, it's useful to do the change 3X over.

Keep in mind, though, that you probably won't get any more fluid out at a single session than you do dropping the pan. The dipstick tube just goes into the pan area, as that's the pool of fluid the tranny draws from. It's still totally useful to do what you're suggesting: more frequent maintenance, and ease of service.

Also, if you are up to the task of learning the procedure and your fluid return hose is easily accessible, you could do the DIY fluid exchange process. Many places give instructions: here, Allpar, Amsoil, etc..

This process is almost identical to what tranny shops do with a machine and it replaces over 90% +/- of the fluid with little waste.

I've had problems snaking plastic tubing (like 1/4 inch aquarium tubing) down the dipstick hole, as it hits an o-ring or flange right where the stick meets the pan.

The siphon works but only gets about a quart out.

Other plastic that's stiffer might work better.

I think the Mityvac 7201 is better, it costs a little more at $82 but it is both extractor and dispenser, so that there is no mess to transfer old fluid in to a disposable container for recycle.

I used Mityvac to do more than ATF, I use it to do oil change, bleed brake system, PSF ...

I use some vacuum hose and a small drill operated pump. I'll run this right into a measured container and then I know exactly what to add afterwards.

cool, thanks for the answers guys. Im glad to see this is a good and popular thing done.

my jeep had 66k (im now a 77k) miles when I bought and and i did the pan drop at about 68k. The condition of the fluid looks faily well but im not a mechanic and automatic transmission are the least i know about. but the fluid is very light in color on the stick and very clear with a red tint. theres no burning smells or anything like that.

The 32RH transmission in my jeep is supposed to be a very strong transmission and with the 4.0L I6 with it im hoping to keep this jeep for a very long time. only thing i do is use it as an off roader time to time with also being my DD, like sand dunes and mud bogging. and from what i know the biggest problems with ATF is when it gets hot it starts to break down and not work as good. so me being someone who wants the jeep for a long time but does not baby it much likes to do maintenance as much as possible and getting the extractor and being able to replenish the tranny with fresh fluid more often then i would be able to taking it to a shop seems like a good idea.

It seems like this method is not a complete alternative to a pan drop but can extend pan drop intervals and is also beneficial then doing pan drops only.

Last edited:
The 32RH transmission is pretty much indestructable. Its a VERY simple 3-speed non-overdrive automatic with ~50 years of history behind it. Its really a small-frame A-904, the design of which goes all the way back to the original Torqueflite 727 of the mid 1950s. The 904 itself first appeared behind the slant-6 and smallblock v8s, and reached its more-or-less final form in 1966 when the rear pump and cable park pawl mechanisms were removed. Since 1966 only little changes were made- changes in clutch plate count with different engines, changes in snapring type (wavy or flat) to change shift quality, etc. The biggest change ever made was adding a lockup torque convertor in the mid 1970s. I've owned 4 or 5 of these myself and I've seen others run 200,000 miles and more WITHOUT a fluid or filter change. They can easily outlast most of the rest of the car with proper care, and they'll usually die of something like low fluid due to neglect of a minor leak, or coolant getting into the fluid from a rotted radiator cooler.

Since you've already had a pan drop service, presumably with a filter replacement, I see no reason that you shouldn't alternate between dropping the pan and doing a suction type fluid change from now on. Siphon this time, do a full pan drop next time, etc. And you REALLY don't need to be doing this more often than every 50k miles, and then only if you drive it HARD. You mention running in mud, and that is one thing to be careful of. Getting water (especially muddy water) in it is not good and argues for more frequent fluid changes.

If this were a 42RE I'd be recommending more frequent changes. But what you have is one of the trannies that gave Chrysler the reputation it used to have for the most rugged automatics on the planet, not the reputation the 41XX/42XX series gave it for the worst transmissions of the 1990s.

I also do my Jeeps ATF removal via poly tubing down the dip stick tube. One additional trick is to check the level of the transmission pan. Mine normally slopes away from the dipstick, but jacking up the opposite rear corner gets more ATF to flow toward the dipstick/suction tube location. I also find if you wait an hour or two after parking it, more fluid can be removed from the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back