Dino to Synthetic switch in 4runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 4runner with 122,000 miles. It had 108,000 when i bought it. I've used Castrol 5w30 high mileage since I bought it. I'm thinking about switching to Mobil 1 synthetic High Mileage 5w30. It doesn't use any oil but I like synthetics and Mobil 1. Any thoughts.

I've switched over several vehicles from Dino to synthetic, anywhere from 50k up to 110k, with virtually no issues. Only thing is that I got a little seepage at the rear main seal, which stopped after an oil change or two. I'd say go for it with confidence but be ready for some temporary seepage.

If it doesn't leak or burn oil--there is not so much need for you in HM oil. But M1 synthetic might clean up engine inside, and some leaks might develop if gunk was holding things together. Then you will need HM oils. If you engine is clean--no problem at all.

Last edited:
How do you drive the vehicle? If it's primarily a high way driver vehicle, then I'd say go with the Synthetic.....if you do a lot of short trips, towing, idling, etc.....I'd stick with the conventional oil (GTX/PYB/whatever).

I like to run conventional oil and diesel Dino oil when the heat of the summer is upon us.

Now I've switched to a synthetic blend....just for the Fall to Late Spring. I will use another blend of Diesel Dino and/or Dino PCMO or Synthetic next summer for my OCI.

I just like running Dino, in the mix, for the lubrication and the smoothness of a summer oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back