When to Change Magnefine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be installing a Magnefine on my Ford AX4S transmission that has 100K miles. It has been 8K miles since a flush and pan service so I'm wondering when I install it how long I should leave it on because I'm thinking I should change it after it picks up most of the stuff that has been building up in there for 8K. I can get a new one for around $16 at my local Napa. I was was thinking something like 1K miles but what do you guys think?

There have been a few threads on this (I know the search function sucks). If my memory serves me, the manufacturer seems to recommend 15k, but most people leave it on there for 30k. I definitely wouldn't take it off after 1k. There was a study posted a while ago about how most of the material shedding in a transmissions life occurs early in it's life.

Personally I would leave it on for 30k, that's what I'm doing with my magnefine. It coincides well with the severe service transmission fluid change interval and I use the return line it's connected to to exchange the fluid so it saves some time.

I would personally leave it on there until the next transmission fluid/pan/filter service. If you're worried that there's a lot of junk in the system, at least leave it on for 10k to let it do its job well.

Btw here is an answer from their FAQ:

When to change?

Recommended change is every 12 months. It is also advisable to renew your transmission fluid at this time. In fleet applications a test by the Ford motor company demonstrated fluid and filter could be 30,000 miles. (Each transmission runs differently and may require different fluid service intervals.)

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/faq.htm

I think 30K is the way to go. I went 40K on mine and it was about 1% (or less) full. But I use Amsoil ATF. Perhaps applications using ATF of lesser quality will see more wear than I did.

Without knowing anything to begin with, 30K is a good number. When you change it, you can easily unscrew the filter and get a look at it. More often than not, especially with a trans that has had a previous fluid change, you would see as Donald did that the filter is barely dirty and would be able to go farther. But you don't know that necessarily going in.

Remember that, on average, 75% of the total contaminants generated by an automatic come within the first 5K miles. When you change the fluid, you eliminate most of that. For that reason, 8K a fresh change is nothing. My advice is install the filter and run 30K.

+1 I would go 15 or 30k

I put one on our caravan @ 200 something k and now has 240 something. I did notice though the last time I pulled the dipstick, the black stuff is starting to come back, so maybe it is time to change the filter.

Thanks for the advice I guess I'm just too concerned with the trans but the car works great for a 30 mile commute to college so I'm trying to do the best I can to make the car last as long as possible. I could drive my truck but the 460 gets around 9 Mpg
laugh.gif
. At $3.89 a gallon for regular and getting about 23 Mpg you see why I choose the Mercury Sable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back