How long should fire trucks last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire Dept's get some funny ideas about their self importance, IMO some chiefs get inflated egos and want to 'out do' rival Fire Depts with shinny new toys.
It takes a little guts to say NO and put them in their place because, if there were an incident, that went bad, the finger would be pointed at you!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
Sometimes there are "behind the scenes" reasons for replacement. The town I work for can't keep a vehicle in service past 100,000 miles because the municipal insurance policy won't cover them for liability past that point. The only way around it is a bumper to bumper reman, so it's just easier (and usually cheaper) to buy a new vehicle. Doesn't matter if it's a vic, dodge ram, snowplow, fire engine, etc. I don't believe calendar age is an issue though.

Once again, that a failure of .gov. They could self insure, find alternative insurance, negotiate with the provider they currently use and/or so on.

I've had enough of being trampled by bureaucrats who decide things on my behalf, without ever considering what's right.
I doubt it. I would guess that the town agrees to that because it gives them a cheaper premium with savings that outweighs the cost of new vehicles. Gotta remember that your average town doles out well over a 100k in total insurance premiums.

I don't understand my local volunteer fire department and their brush truck. Any brush fires we have, and not that many, are handled by the forestry service. Anything smaller than that, the fire engines can extinguish easily. About a 2005 Chevrolet 2500 dually with boxes on the back. The only thing I see it purposely getting used for besides "ride-arounds" is painting the fire hydrants. I've often thought about joining the FD or EMT, but I don't think I could handle the egos and waste. There is the tax incentive and retirement to be taken advantage of after a certain amount of years of service though....

WAY too many variables. Depends greatly on use, call volume, etc.

Our first out Engines (pumpers) stay first out for about 7-8 years in busier companies. In that time they usually have 130-160k miles and 12-15k hours on the motors.

Our first out trucks (aerials) stay first out for about 12-15 years (usually have 130-160k miles and 10-12k engine hours.

Replacement also depends on maint repairs. The newer apparatus will not last as long as they did in the past because of more and more electronics and emissions. Our current engine is usually OOS 3-8 days/month strictly due to DPF/EGR issues (CAT C13).

Must remember that each apparatus pump and aerial MUST pass a yearly test. NFPA requires this, and if the pump test does not meet it's rated capacity...it is OOS. Same for the aerial.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
30 years, just like aircraft. Yes, it actually takes some maintenance to keep a heavy duty vehicle that long. But, there is no reason not to expect long life from them. It's impossible to justify replacement, other than to say they were poorly maintained or involved in catastrophic crashes.

Sorry, but that town is sticking it to the "subjects" that live there. Our town does the same, letting cops drive huge patrol cars and trucks home, then replacing them every 2 years. Absurd. It's time to hold our .gov to account, in every way.

30 years for a busy department...is idiotic!! It would not be SAFE, efficient, or compliant!!

Don't claim to be experts on everything...especially if you don't know what you're talking about.

I was sad when our small town department got rid of it's Studebaker pumper. I don't think salt would be an issue since FDs wash the trucks nearly every day.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will disagree with you Scooby that 30 years in a BUSY department is not the answer. Even you in in the earlier post pointed out to the fact that there are way to many variables to say one size fits all.

For some very low volume situations, 30 year old pieces of equipment may be much better than no equipment because it cannot be afforded. Perfect, no, but better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back