ATF Recommendation for 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 2002 Subaru Outback (4 cylinder, base model). We are approaching 80,000 miles and it's almost 10 years old. I don't believe it's ever had the ATF changed. What should I replace it with? What do you guys recommend?

Is there only one weight for it? Is there more than one "Maxlife"? Where is a good place to get it cheap?

Maxlife Dex/Merc. Car was speced for Dex III when new, but Dex III fluid is no longer made.

Use a Subaru AT filter, most part stores will just sell an oil filter that fits the AT, but they are constructed very differently.

WalMart has Maxlife ATF cheap when they carry it. I usually get mine at Advance using a discount code.

Many Walmarts have stopped carrying Maxlife and now carry Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle. This would be another good choice, IMO.

The 4EAT isn't really picky--it calls for DexIII. I think Supertech Dex VI is a good option; cheap, readily available if you have WM around, and by definition it's going to be a high-quality fluid.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for the recomended type.

It calls for Dex III, which is no longer made, so that's why I'm soliciting opinions from you fine folks.

Originally Posted By: JOD
The 4EAT isn't really picky--it calls for DexIII. I think Supertech Dex VI is a good option; cheap, readily available if you have WM around, and by definition it's going to be a high-quality fluid.

This not being a GM transmission means that Dexron VI may or may not be the best option. Subaru would say to use the ATF-HP that they spec in newer models.

I agree with some of the other posters, though - Maxlife is a very good option. It's what I've been using in our Subaru. Other multi-vehicle ATFs that say they'll work where Dexron III is specified (eg Mobil1 ATF) will work as well.

I've found Maxlife ATF at Advance Auto for around $16 for a gallon jug.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 legacy wagon, same series as yours. I've used Mobil1 transmission fluid (coupon advance auto) with a new spin on filter with each change at 25,000-30,000 since 25,000 miles. I have 214,000 miles and no transmission problems, no slipping, nothing. Fluid looks brand new. If you change the filter too, you get almost six quarts out. I won't use anything else, Mobil1is about $6.50 a quart after coupon. I also live in the mountains and the terrain is very hard on tranmissions. It snows too and there is lots of slipping around. The local Sube shop (just work on Subarus) said my transmission had gone the longest they had seen without a rebuild.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid is also not Dexron VI. Meets all the III standards but not the VI.

Also, I would recommend changing the fluid and filter (subaru will tell you no, but a new trans is about $3500) then changing it again in 10,000 miles and maybe again in another 10,000 miles. You are way way late on changing the fluid.

Originally Posted By: clearanceman
I have a 2000 legacy wagon, same series as yours. I've used Mobil1 transmission fluid (coupon advance auto) with a new spin on filter with each change at 25,000-30,000 since 25,000 miles. I have 214,000 miles and no transmission problems, no slipping, nothing. Fluid looks brand new. If you change the filter too, you get almost six quarts out. I won't use anything else, Mobil1is about $6.50 a quart after coupon. I also live in the mountains and the terrain is very hard on tranmissions. It snows too and there is lots of slipping around. The local Sube shop (just work on Subarus) said my transmission had gone the longest they had seen without a rebuild.

Which filter do you use? Do you buy OEM?

Where do you find the current and best coupons for Advance Auto? I think I'll go with Mobil 1 like you. Lots of people seem to like it and you can't really beat your story.

He's referring to the oe spin-on filter, and the "correct" one is only available from Subaru. All the aftermarket versions are regular oil filters.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
He's referring to the oe spin-on filter, and the "correct" one is only available from Subaru. All the aftermarket versions are regular oil filters.

Thanks. And where are these Advance Auto coupons?

Google is your friend on advance auto coupons. But off the top of my head, there is a $10 off $30, $20 off $50, sometimes $25 off $60, $35 off $85, $40 off $120 $50 off $150 and sometimes $80 off $200. They don't work on oil but they do work on ATF.

Correct on the spin on filter, I use Subaru OEM. Sometimes cheaper on ebay but still close to $30. Once again, way cheaper than a new transmission IMO.

There is no need to change the AT filter but, if you do then get one Specifically stated for this use. The filter is different internally, and the canister metal is much thicker. Subaru states you need only change it if damaged or the transmission has been apart. I changed mine at 115,000 miles, cut it open and the inside looked as new. Ed

I always go with the OEM filter but I usually get it off ebay, someone has it right now for $22.50 shipped I believe. If you don't change the filter, at least remove the filter and put it back, you'll get almost two more quarts out of the transmission that way. But it's not where I am going to chose to save money.

I always go with the OEM filter but I usually get it off ebay, someone has it right now for $22.50 shipped I believe. If you don't change the filter, at least remove the filter and put it back, you'll get almost two more quarts out of the transmission that way. But it's not where I am going to chose to save money.

Got a link for that? I just looked and only saw Beck Arnley, Wix, and ATP. I know the Beck Arnley and Wix are just oil filters they brand as AT filters. What about this ATP filter?

Originally Posted By: tired

Got a link for that? I just looked and only saw Beck Arnley, Wix, and ATP. I know the Beck Arnley and Wix are just oil filters they brand as AT filters. What about this ATP filter?

I just checked and those are sold out, all I see is about $32 shipped. YMMV, I got one one time for $18 shipped on there.

I always search for 38325AA032

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back