Car gas flap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with using funnels is that then the funnels get additive residue on them. Clean them up and it ends up on your hands and you use all kinds of paper towels. Dont clean it up and it catches dust.

No matter what it is a loose-loose situation. Its not clean and I dont really want to use all kinds of paper towels and residue on my hands...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Was the flap part of the mandate in 1975 for cars that used unleaded gas? The unleaded nozzles had to be smaller so you couldn't put leaded gas into a car that required unleaded. I wonder if the flap was part of that regulation?

Exactly correct - in 1975 when unleaded gas came on the market, it was more expensive than leaded gas, so people being what they are with the price of gas, the fuel filler was made incompatible to stop leaded fuel from going in the smog dogs.

The leaded fuel was also said to breakdown the catalytic converter and reduce its efficiency, and thus was further justification for the new fuel system. I have no knowledge of that, but I know those early cars stunk like rotten eggs (H2S).

I was a teen age gas pumper then, and even if I didn't recognize the exact model of car, I knew when to grab the unleaded pump from the stench of the exhaust. Many people used a pair of pliers to rip the neck adapter out of the filler cap so they could use the cheaper fuel anyway, and had the convertor cut off at a muffler shop.

I don't know when leaded gas finally went away around here - early to mid 80's I guess. Seems like the Veeder Root mechanical pump computers went from three price wheels to four price wheels about '73 or '74 - I think it was before no lead came on the market. An old building I renovated a few years back had a stack of several hundred three wheel Veeder Root computers in it, still in the box, probably pulls from pumps that went four wheel. I sent them to the scrap metal recycler.

edit: doh - you're talking about the flap, not the necking down device, my bad. I don't recall if the early smog cars had the flap or not. I think that they only had the necking device, but it's been a long time. It seems like my '75 Firebird had a screw on gas cap, as opposed to the earlier cars that had more of a bayonet fitting for the cap.

I still have a '79 Sedan DeVille in my stash of old cars that we no longer use, but never bothered to get rid of, so the next time I am out at the shop I'll try to remember to take a look at the filler on it.

Whew, I feel old after that trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
I love my "capless" fuel filler. Ask me in 6 years if I still like it.

I remember the flaps in question. Back in the early 80s, my dad used to knock them out (in addition to the cats
smile.gif
. We could then use the "leaded" nozzle from our 1000 gal farm tank.

Yeah, one day I wonder if this fill 'flap' will rust off at the lip and cause emissions problems or foul the gas cap? So far, 'okay'...this is a picture after I scrubbed it with some 400 grit and used electronics 99+% alcohol to wipe down the residue:

1003516h.jpg

Last edited:
I know our 85 dodge colt vista had one, as did the 79 Plymouth champ. At the same time every rental I've ever had doesn't have one. Weird.

the ones without a restriction , may be because there is NO leaded gasoline anymore. at least where we can get to easly.

I dont know why they have em.

Like you said, my VW's is tight as heck. If I pull the nozzle out of the filler hole to quick, an oz or two will be dripping from the nozzle and it will get caught right there since the flap is closed. I have to stick the nozzle back in to let that little bit of fuel into the tank.

All my car's have had it. Except for the Jeep. Or it may have and I just don't remember. . . .

Originally Posted By: morris
hot car staging? anyone? or maybe you are not as old as you say?

I AM as old as I say, but I do not recall (or maybe never did know) what that is exactly.

I DO remember them using bleach in the burn-out boxes though, so I cannot be too young, correct??
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Win

The leaded fuel was also said to breakdown the catalytic converter and reduce its efficiency, and thus was further justification for the new fuel system. I have no knowledge of that, but I know those early cars stunk like rotten eggs (H2S).

I was a teen age gas pumper then, and even if I didn't recognize the exact model of car, I knew when to grab the unleaded pump from the stench of the exhaust. Many people used a pair of pliers to rip the neck adapter out of the filler cap so they could use the cheaper fuel anyway, and had the convertor cut off at a muffler shop.

That mirrors my experience in 1987 when Oz went that way.

Unleaded cars reeked, drivers wanted the cheapest fuel (one granny filled her Datsun 1600 with kero).

Something that I found strange at the time was evening tank dipping. The leaded tanks would be cool/cold, while the unleaded were noticeably warm, stank, and your hands would stink for the rest of the night.

Something's changed since then, as the unleaded tanks are no longer warm.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The leaded tanks would be cool/cold, while the unleaded were noticeably warm, stank, and your hands would stink for the rest of the night.

Something's changed since then, as the unleaded tanks are no longer warm.

Were your tanks underground? Here by the time it got to the nozzle, all grades were cold.

I think the stink of the gas was from all of the aromatic and branched chain hydrocarbons they had to put in the fuel to get the anti knock index up to a reasonable level after the tetraethyl lead was removed, and the vapor pressure was such that it would just evaporate immediately.

Now the stuff around here can be poured out on the ground and it will just sit there even on a 100F+ day.

Tanks were all underground.

Petrol and diesel were at a regular under 20C, and the unleadeds were always above blood temp. Repeated at three different sites.

??????

Was going to reply to this yesterday, but the thread was locked. Whatever.

My Sonata doesn't have one of these. Didn't notice until recently when I was pouring Sea Form in via funnel. Then I wondered if it really didn't have one or if it was simply broken.

All our cars have the flap, sometimes additive bottles get stuck when I try to jam them in there.

The BMW actually seals so nothing gets past it without it being pushed in.

Hot car staging area - was that the end of the return lane at the dragstrip?

TO:dailydriver yea i forgot about bleach, they tryed gasoline also, but it didnt work out, da. in the 50-60s there was no starters that would start a high performance engine. they had to push start the car to start the engine. so they called the cars "hot cars" also of note nhra would NOT let you pull the car. cause when the race car started it might over run the pull car.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Still need the nozzle restrictors, helps prevent dopey people from putting diesel in their gasoline cars.

No it is great for business when they do or put gas in a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back